open or closed CAI?

I too am shopping for an intake. I'm still on the fence about buying one or not, but the S&B is the front runner for me. It does seem that the more you can do to isolate the intake from the engine heat, the better. Which is why I am only considering closed systems. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon.

Shakey

Unless it forms a tight seal with the hood when closed, it will suck in some hot air. If I absolutely have to get a CAI, then I'd get a closed one. If I didn't have to then I wouldn't get one at all. Save the money for some other modification. Yes I have an intake, but no I don't regret it, but if given a chance for do-over, I wouldn't get one.

• Like 1

3tspapat why wouldn't you get another if doing it over? why do people say cai do nothing but increase noise when there's dyno statistical proof of slight hp/tq increse? I just ordered a volant closed intake with the dry filter 15553D

2948b.jpg

I said that I wouldn't get one.

Some intakes give a little something, others do nothing and still others give worse performance. It's more about the HP returns per dollar spent. If you look at it that way, it really isn't a good deal at all.

Check to see at what RPM the various manufacturers achieved their max HP gain figures for their version of the "cold air intake".  If you consistently drive at that engine speed, then you can claim the HP gain as they did.

Oh, he's just an old agin'er.

No; here's my engine bays.  But I bought the tubes cheap!

2013 GMC above;  2016 Tahoe below:

100_0394.jpg100_0677.thumb.jpg.b455d02b71ded1058e9ec20c7c4f8a4b.jpg

Edited by BigBlueLB756
  • Like 1