Rear camera too bright?

It was a problem on the last generation but a service update fixed it. I'm also experiencing this but haven't paid a visit to the dealer yet, it's on the agenda. The more people that go in to the dealer for a fix the faster GM will fix it. Either way it will definitely require a software update once GM is able to put one out.

Coming from the F-150, I thought my old one was too dark and my new 2019 Silverado is perfect!

I think it does that to prevent static which is common with digital cameras in the dark. Any darker, I'd expect grey spots on black surface.

31 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Coming from the F-150, I thought my old one was too dark and my new 2019 Silverado is perfect!

I think it does that to prevent static which is common with digital cameras in the dark. Any darker, I'd expect grey spots on black surface.

Your's must not be affected. The issue the OP is talking about makes the screen so bright it blinds you and reflects off the side windows so you cant see your side mirrors or out of the back window. It was a recognized problem on the last generation and was fixed by GM.

Next to OP's name is "Drives 2019 Silverado RST" which is the same as mine, so I thought it was the same vehicle. That's why I chimed in, assuming he wasn't used to it.

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

Next to OP's name is "Drives 2019 Silverado RST" which is the same as mine, so I thought it was the same vehicle. That's why I chimed in, assuming he wasn't used to it.

No I just mean your specific truck must not be suffering from the issue... You guys probably do have the same identical truck but it appears the problem is sporadic.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocz3cqg said:

Is it bright because the Light in the Tailgate [If you have the proper tailgate] comes on in reverse and in the dark?

No that definitely isn't it but I know what you're saying. With this problem you can see when you shift into reverse the physical screen brightness intensifies to max..... Like if you had your iPhone and set the dim all the way down then turned the brightness up to max, that is how different the brightness is... it's drastic. Its not the image that is bright, its the back light on the screen itself that is blinding.

Edited by Jmac572
  • Like 1

The issue isn't the light in the tailgate for the camera being too bright at night, it's the screen on the dash!  Might as well be an interior floodlight! Dangerously Distracting!!!

I will make an appointment with the dealer to start the process. At least I'm not the only one!

Thanks.

• Like 1

I called the GM Infotainment Technology line to ask about this issue and the possibility of being able to change the brightness and contrast. as the dealer had no idea. They said they had nothing planned on doing any updates for that. I also went to the dealer and sat in 3 other trucks, all were the same. To be honest I just got real used to it but it would be nice to have a fix. The loaner I got from my dealer was a 2019 Traverse, The Nav / Infotainment system we so much cleaner, nicer, colorful, not washed out, it was a huge difference over my 19 HC.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, at night it's pretty much worthless. My 2014 camera at was very good, the 2018 is garbage. I took it to the dealer they said it's fine, fking aholes. 

I called the GM Infotainment Technology line to ask about this issue and the possibility of being able to change the brightness and contrast. as the dealer had no idea. They said they had nothing planned on doing any updates for that. I also went to the dealer and sat in 3 other trucks, all were the same. To be honest I just got real used to it but it would be nice to have a fix. The loaner I got from my dealer was a 2019 Traverse, The Nav / Infotainment system we so much cleaner, nicer, colorful, not washed out, it was a huge difference over my 19 HC.

What number did you call? Maybe if we all start calling they will get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who wish to bring their truck in to the dealer to complain and hopefully get fixed, reference TB #17-NA-269..... This was the fix for the 2014-2018 generation that had the same exact issue we are experiencing now. It's not going to apply to our trucks as the infotainment system is a completely different animal, but at least the dealer can look up this TB and see that GM did recognize this in the past.

• Thanks 1