E85 2016 Silverado Reg Cab 6spd 4x4 5.3 upgrade

27 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I’m all about clean burn, will I be able to use super and e85 if I converted/switched?

Sent from above

You can run it now even if you are not FF.  My 2002 isn't and I run it with no problems.  I don't get the performance benefit but I do get the clean burning as well as the higher octane.  I usually run a 50/50 mix in the winter since it does tend to start harder at temps below 38°F.    I have been running it now for 3 years with no issues.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Maybe this is a question for Karnut, his very familiar with E85. Can you run 20-50% E85 without retuning your ECM??

Sent from above

Yes. The flex fuel sensor reads the alcohol content and automatically adjust the tune for it. 

• Like 1

The “Flex” in Flex Fuel means it’s flexible and able to burn regular fuel and ethanol

I know that, can it be mixed in with super or regular without being flex fuel?

Sent from above

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

I know that, can it be mixed in with super or regular without being flex fuel?

Sent from above

Yes. But there is no point. You either run gas or E85. No need to blend fuels. 

Only reason to blend is if your fuel system couldn’t handle a high percentage of E

Edited by Jacoby

Yes. But there is no point. You either run gas or E85. No need to blend fuels. 

Only reason to blend is if your fuel system couldn’t handle a high percentage of E

I’d like to just run e85 whenever but I don’t have a 6.2 flex fuel kit yet and the question was if I need a conversion kit for my 6.2 before I can run E85?

Sent from above

3 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Ok, I’m going to give it a shot in about an hour

Sent from above

Wait my reply to you was if you had a flex fuel capable vehicle. If you don’t then running E85 is a complete waste of money and will hurt the performance of your truck

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

I’d like to just run e85 whenever but I don’t have a 6.2 flex fuel kit yet and the question was if I need a conversion kit for my 6.2 before I can run E85?

Sent from above

Yes you need one. It’s absolutely pointless to run it if the ecm won’t adjust. There is no benefit at all. It will actually hurt your performance. 

Wait my reply to you was if you had a flex fuel capable vehicle. If you don’t then running E85 is a complete waste of money and will hurt the performance of your truck

That’s what I wanted to know. Black02silverado says he uses it in his older 6.2 all the time with zero issues hmmmm

Sent from above

I ran E-85 in my 14 because it came capable and using it would give additional HP. It seemed to like it and I could get it cheaper that reg sometimes definitely cheaper than premium. I would usually tune my truck for premium and get the boost in performance that way. I did tune the transmission and turned off the cylinder deactivation. I did raise the shift points and RPMs and set the transmission at 50 percent TM. Every thing I’ve read says don’t put E-85 in a non flex fuel vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I ran E-85 in my 14 because it came capable and using it would give additional HP. It seemed to like it and I could get it cheaper that reg sometimes definitely cheaper than premium. I would usually tune my truck for premium and get the boost in performance that way. I did tune the transmission and turned off the cylinder deactivation. I did raise the shift points and RPMs and set the transmission at 50 percent TM. Every thing I’ve read says don’t put E-85 in a non flex fuel vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate it! Looks like I’m staying for Chinese tonight.

Sent from above
  • Like 1