Door ajar sensor issue?

Started out earlier this week with the truck thinking the driver's door was always open and the window switches in the driver's door not working. I pulled the door panel off, checked all the connections but I didn't find anything obviously wrong. Now that I have put it all back together, the truck thinks the door is always closed and the window switches in the driver's door still don't work. The radio does not turn off and the dome lights do not come on when the driver's door is open. The locks and mirrors work as they should. Any ideas where to start or what to test?

i remember reading that there are issues with the door harness chafing.  id think to pull the panel again and go over all wires and look for fraying.
Un plug the connection and to can use a digital multimeter and set it to fuse test. It will make going wire for wire much faster. I pulled mine all the way into the large speaker hole to get new wires feed through.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I pulled the door jam connector though the speaker hole last night and found the LIN signal wire (green/yellow) completely broken. The large black (ground?) and red/blue (power?) wire had broken insulation as well. I patched them all up and everything seems good now. I'll probably just replace the harness at some point. The hard turn the harness makes to go into the door seems like a really obvious problem point that should have been addressed a long time ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlanD_M97 said:

I pulled the door jam connector though the speaker hole last night and found the LIN signal wire (green/yellow) completely broken. The large black (ground?) and red/blue (power?) wire had broken insulation as well. I patched them all up and everything seems good now. I'll probably just replace the harness at some point. The hard turn the harness makes to go into the door seems like a really obvious problem point that should have been addressed a long time ago.

Door passthrough wiring is always a problem aria.. The wires move every time the door does.. I  was going to suggest you look there, but you found it yourself.. Nice work!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey were you able to fix this problem and if so what was it? My 2015 Silverado LTZ is doing the exact same thing. At the moment the door doesn't read that it opens, the dome light doesn't turn on when I open the door, the radio stays on, the driver side window doesn't roll down. Sometimes when it does work the DOOR ADJAR would stay on all the time even when the door was closed and the driver window sometimes rolled down and back up. I would wiggle the wires at the door (when door is wide open) that lead into the cab and then it would roll all the way up. As of now, the door doesn't read at all, driver side window doesn't roll down (but the switch rolls down all other windows), radio stays on... any tips?

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 10:14 PM, Carlos Plata said:

Hey were you able to fix this problem and if so what was it? My 2015 Silverado LTZ is doing the exact same thing. At the moment the door doesn't read that it opens, the dome light doesn't turn on when I open the door, the radio stays on, the driver side window doesn't roll down. Sometimes when it does work the DOOR ADJAR would stay on all the time even when the door was closed and the driver window sometimes rolled down and back up. I would wiggle the wires at the door (when door is wide open) that lead into the cab and then it would roll all the way up. As of now, the door doesn't read at all, driver side window doesn't roll down (but the switch rolls down all other windows), radio stays on... any tips?

i am having that very exact issue

2017 Sierra 3500 Denali HD

anyone?

• 9 months later...

I'm having same issue..2016 Sierra 1500. Door ajar always showing, master switch doesn't work for windows but locks and mirrors work. So I exchanged switch for new one, nope.  Disconnected plug to motor and have constant 12v to top left of plug but not top right. I tested connectivity to motor (from the 2 prongs in plug receiver and nothing. I ran direct power to the motor by 12v battery to the 2 prongs and nothing. Suggestions?

• 1 year later...

Hey, were you able to fix this problem, and if so what was it? My 2015 Silverado LTZ is doing the exact same thing. At the moment the door doesn't read that it opens, the dome light doesn't turn on when I open the door, the radio stays on, and the driver-side window doesn't roll down. Sometimes when it does work the DOOR ADJAR would stay on all the time even when the door was closed and the driver window sometimes rolled down and back up. I would wiggle the wires at the door (when the door is wide open) that lead into the cab and then it would roll all the way up. As of now, the door doesn't read at all, the driver-side window doesn't roll down (but the switch rolls down all other windows), radio stays on... any tips?

My truck is having this same issue.  I was looking for a answer to Carlos Plata's question and did not see one.  Did you find out what the problem was?  

I did not fix my issue.  I still have the truck and drive it almost daily.

My door ajar issue got very sporadic and intermittent.  I’m thinking it’s a wiring issue because it really went bananas after a couple of rainy days.  Then when all the rain stopped, so did the intermittent issue.  So now I believe whatever the problem is, it is outside.

Then, it failed completely and luckily it failed in my favour with the door closed and window up.  So the truck thinks the door is permanently closed.  Now although that door doesn’t register when it is opened… I don’t have to deal with all the dash dinging and all the lights/door ajar warnings.

Whatever the failure is I’m suspecting it’s one common location with all of our trucks.

The other commonality is, whatever is causing the door issue is linked to the windows, because although my door shows as closed, that window no longer works.  I tested the window motor and switch, they’re both good!

so to summarize, whatever the issue is, my theory is that it is outside and common between the door and window.

7 minutes ago, Jack Daniels said:

I did not fix my issue.  I still have the truck and drive it almost daily.

My door ajar issue got very sporadic and intermittent.  I’m thinking it’s a wiring issue because it really went bananas after a couple of rainy days.  Then when all the rain stopped, so did the intermittent issue.  So now I believe whatever the problem is, it is outside.

Then, it failed completely and luckily it failed in my favour with the door closed and window up.  So the truck thinks the door is permanently closed.  Now although that door doesn’t register when it is opened… I don’t have to deal with all the dash dinging and all the lights/door ajar warnings.

Whatever the failure is I’m suspecting it’s one common location with all of our trucks.

The other commonality is, whatever is causing the door issue is linked to the windows, because although my door shows as closed, that window no longer works.  I tested the window motor and switch, they’re both good!

so to summarize, whatever the issue is, my theory is that it is outside and common between the door and window.

So what did you find when you checked the wiring? Were there any broken or chafed wires where wiring passes out the door to the connector?

Edited by mikeyk101