Vibration on new 3500HD, Just tires? Or worse?

Just bought a 2019 3500HD DRW from a dealer 300 miles away. On the way home, a slight vibration can be felt and gets increasingly worse. Vibrates through the seats and through the steering wheel. 40mph it’s not really noticeable.  60mph is annoying. 75-80mph the mirrors and hood start to shake.

Once home, I lowered tire pressure from 70/65 down to 60/55. This seemed to have helped as now the hood doesn’t shake at higher speeds. Tires are Michelin Primacy XC.

Have an appointment set with local dealer. I’m waiting another week so odomoter has over 500 on it.
I’m anxiously optimistic that it just needs a road force balance or maybe a new tire. Truck was sitting for 2-3months. Had 40 miles on it when purchased.

Anyone have anything similar happen with theirs?  Did a simple thorough road force balance do the trick?

55EB0AD9-27D6-43A2-B954-C1D201506E3D.jpeg

Edited by bimmerboy318

Well you are not supposed to be driving 80-90 mph so you might have a hard time convincing a dealer to drive it that fast to check it out.      But, it does sound like tires and since it was sitting for several months they could have flat spotted and may take a long time to smooth out.

Well mine isn't a 3500 but I went through two sets of tires on my 2500 to get rid of a similar vibration.   I wouldn't wait, have them road force them now, they should do it under warranty.

I found the GM bulletin on the proper attachment bracket for the Hunter machine as well as the 180 degree RFV procedure (which basically takes the average of 2 RFVs with the tire rotated at 180deg).  I’ll bring both with me.  

I’ll update the post after my dealer visit.  I really hope I’m making this a bigger deal than it is.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/4530/revised-wheel-balancer-mounting-instructions-heavy-duty-models-only-2011-2015-chevrolet-silverado-2011-2015-gmc-sierra-2500hd-3500hd

https://gm.oemdtc.com/TSB/SB-10089121-2280.pdf

Edited by bimmerboy318

• 2 weeks later...

just adding some perspective.  purchased Continental Contact AT in 285/60/20, no fitment issues with stock 2500 truck.  had vibe issues after a regular balance and brought to a dealer for RF.  The tires are way out of spec according to GM's 15 lbs acceptable level.  Tire vendor is sending a entire new set of the Conti's if the new ones can't be brought into spec need to find another tire Mfg, will most likely be Michelin Defenders given my usage of the truck.  they spent close to 2hrs doing what i assume is the above procedures.  I do have the original and after RF values, on the average what ever they did was able to lower it by 10-15lbs for each tire, but one started out as high as 75 and another at 58.  

4 new replacement Conti tires installed and RFB values were in the mid 20’s for 2 and low 40’s for other 2.  Dealer suggests to drive for 500+ miles and then remeasure and adjust/move the tires for the ones that are on the rear.  Apparently they have had good luck with the Contis/LT tires breaking in and getting better specs on RFB. I was told the LT max RFB value is 40.   Either way I’m still covered with the 30 day policy from Discount tire and they’ve been great handling thus far

RF values were all under 10lbs on the front and the two on the right rear.

Inner left rear started at 38 and ended with 26 after rotating tire on rim.  Outer left rear was 18.  All re-balanced.

Vibration is better but manifests itself between 65-70mph the most.  Also seems that the vibration only happens after it’s been warmed up.  For instance, I won’t feel it when driving to get take-out, but will feel it on the exact same route on the way home.    The steering wheel will shimmy seemingly as a reflection of the vibration.

Lowered tire pressures to 65psi front and 60psi in the rears.  That helped some.  Tried putting 200lbs in the bed and that seemed to help as well.  But 65-70mph is the sweet spot for feeling the vibes.

Dealer said all in spec with RF under 30.  Going to spend my own money next on a local shop that does RF as well as on vehicle balancing.  I wonder if the dually tires are somehow fighting each other causing some kind of harmonic off balance.

My dealer said the vibration testing is a process.  If they can rule out the tires, then they’d move on to other possible sources, which is why I’m having them do all work to so it’s documented.  Next step in my mind is driveline components. If after this new rear of tires get mounted and hopefully come within their spec, then I’m going to push for Pico scope results.  Mentioned to Discount tire that the rears were high, but dealer thought it would come down to spec with miles being driven on them and the customer rep said “I’m sending you another pair to get it below the 30”. Happy for once I don’t have to fight for good customer service

Edited by rlme36

they have a check list of items, first up is the tires.  that box needs to be checked before they'll move on.  I'm not expecting a Cadillac ride, just remove the obvious feel at the 70-75mph.  I do find the tires flat spot quickly, new tires installed Sunday drove home with a little vib attributing to the higher RF values for the rear set.  A few days of the truck sitting then take out and noticeable low speed vibrations for a few miles.  Which surprised me a little as i have the truck parked on 3/4 rubber horse mats in the garage.  happen to have them and was trying to eliminate flat spotting as an issue.

did a 500 mile plus drive on various roads in the NE down to PA and back.  Vibration is still there, so much for the break in of the rear tires.  Glad Discount tire already sent a new set to swap out the rears.

I'll only say what the issue was with mine, yours could be different since its a 3500.  I went through 3 sets of tires before they eliminated the vibration.  It seems these trucks are very sensitive to any tire that is close to out of spec.  The dealer initially thought it could be something vibrating in my rear under-seat storage bin so that was emptied out and no change.  The issue for me was tires and it wasn't easy to find a set that worked.    My passenger seat would shake when empty right around 70 mph.  I don't think flat spots are your issue, they should be able to sit for an extended period with no issue.

I feel for ya, very frustrating..You should expect a smooth ride, even in a 3500.

I guess I'm half way there with the Conti Tires.  Just out of curiosity, which Tire Mfg do you have, how long since the install and is it been riding vibe free?  

appreciate the feedback, I'd agree seems like the trucks are very sensitive to balance.  Will keep at it, hoping this gets resolved before towing season starts.