Accessing Screws to Filter Cover

Is anyone else finding the the transmission line runs directly over the bottom screw for the air box making it exceedingly difficult to got to? I wanted to check the air filter but spent 15 minutes trying different screwdrivers and adapters just to find a way to get to that bottom screw?  Does a flexible drill bit help at all? That's the only thing I haven't tried. 

I bought a long 12" or longer skinny Philips screwdriver from the local Fred Meyer, works well. Gets by the line, and the one I picked up has a head big enough to fit into the screw snuggly without stripping it out.

Edited by JimCost2014

I don't recall any difficulty removing my factory air box in order to install my CAI. I have had to remove it again recently to change the battery, and originally to install my HID light upgrade. I recall one screw being down in there pretty good but I know for certain I didn't use a universal socket. My CAI is open on the top so maybe not having the factory top cover makes it easier? I think I just used a 1/4" ratchet and a long extension with a Phillips. If want to see a ridiculous task on these trucks, change your battery out.

dude that drivers side forward screw on the air box was terrible. I ended up using the skinniest shaft big head screw driver I had and put as much downward pressure I could on it to prevent a strip out. Next time I do it i might just get a snap clamp that will fit.

13 minutes ago, alodawg26 said:

So dumb. It should not be that hard to maintenance your vehicle! I'm sure the dealer has some special tool that takes them 10 seconds to remove.

Concur!  Actually, the dealer just has the tech's break the cheap plastic ears on the cover and not even put the screws back in?  Ask me how I know....Now I have a freaking sign on mine telling them to never touch the DAMB thing again or I will go postal!

5 hours ago, alodawg26 said:

So dumb. It should not be that hard to maintenance your vehicle! I'm sure the dealer has some special tool that takes them 10 seconds to remove.

4 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Concur!  Actually, the dealer just has the tech's break the cheap plastic ears on the cover and not even put the screws back in?  Ask me how I know....Now I have a freaking sign on mine telling them to never touch the DAMB thing again or I will go postal!

No special tool at the dealer to get it, they take it out and throw it away! Pissed me off, damn screws are almost $7.00 a piece, they have done this twice now on the wife's Tahoe.

Edited by JimCost2014

4 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

2 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

No special tool at the dealer to get it, they take it out and throw it away! Pissed me off, damn screws area almost $7.00 a piece, they have done this twice now on the wife's Tahoe.

Wow. That is absolutely ridiculous. I'm glad I haven't experienced this myself. I change the filter on my own and put a sticker on mine as well. It's sad that they do this. 

52 minutes ago, alodawg26 said:

Wow. That is absolutely ridiculous. I'm glad I haven't experienced this myself. I change the filter on my own and put a sticker on mine as well. It's sad that they do this. 

I agree, I do change my own filters, they see a woman and try to up sell her a bunch of things that are not needed. They always ask after they have taken everything apart, which upsets her every time.