2019 RST Z71 Rear Gear Ratio

My current 2015 Z71 has the 3.42 rear gear ratio.  I've been looking at the 2019 RST Z71 and the dealership is saying the Z71 now has the 3.23.   The vehicle I'm looking at has the towing package but not the max towing.   Wondering if I'll be ok with the 3.23 towing a 18.5 bass boat.  Why did the Z71 come standard with the 3.42 in the past and now 3.23? The dealership said the ride in the 2019 is a lot better than the 2015.  Looking forward to test driving one this Saturday.  

The overall ratio with the 8 speed/3.23 gives lower low and higher high than the overall ratios with the 6 speed/3.42.

(Same when the Max tow ratios are considered -- ie 6 speed/3.73 compared to 8 speed/3.42)

If you're happy with the 15 overall ratios, you'll be happy with the 2019 overall ratio.

For 2019 RST

Standard

GU6    Rear axle, 3.42 ratio
1 - Included with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine and (NHT) Max Trailering Package. 

Available

GU5    Rear axle, 3.23 ratio
1 - Included and only available with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine

GT4    Rear axle, 3.73 ratio
1 - Included and only available with (B4U) Diesel Off-Road Package. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, buzz70b said:

My current 2015 Z71 has the 3.42 rear gear ratio.  I've been looking at the 2019 RST Z71 and the dealership is saying the Z71 now has the 3.23.   The vehicle I'm looking at has the towing package but not the max towing.   Wondering if I'll be ok with the 3.23 towing a 18.5 bass boat.  Why did the Z71 come standard with the 3.42 in the past and now 3.23? The dealership said the ride in the 2019 is a lot better than the 2015.  Looking forward to test driving one this Saturday.  

8 speed in the RST.  3.42 is with the max trailer package with the 8 speed.  The WT, Custom and Custom TrailBoss use the 6 speed with 3.42 gearing. 

I went through the same concern for several months. I even started considering an F150 5.0 with 3.55 or 3.73 gears. I drive the ford and Chevy back to back and decided on RST Z71 crew cab with “standard bed”. I have not ordered it yet but hopefully can in the next 30-45 days. I am waiting in a commission check.

i read so many negative reviews in the F150 on their forum site it was scary. I have never own a ford truck and currently drive a 2011 Z71 with 192,000 miles.

Once I learned about the 3.23 gears and 8 speed transmission working together on this forum I felt much more comfortable. After a test drive I felt even better. The 2019 5.3 feels great to me with the 3.23. It is rated for 9,600 lbs and my travel trailer weighs 5,000 dry.

Good luck!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, buzz70b said:

To help increase MPG.  CAFE rules are forcing Automakers to squeeze every ounce of fuel out of trucks.

You will notice the gearing difference most when towing on the highway especially on hilly terrain.

The 3.42 can hold the engine more in check where as a 3.23 will downshift to gain power.

Ride quality will be subjective to opinion.

6.2 would be a better choice for more regular towing but I do not think it is available in the RST package.

5.3 is good enough for once in a while towing and every day commuting.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 3:18 PM, econometrics said:

One thing to be aware of... if you go with Max Tow on the RST, you lose 4L. Only the Z71 comes with a true 2 speed transfer case now. The 4x4 RST is not a true 2 speed transfer case any more. 

What do you guys think is more important for occasional towing: 4L or a higher rear axle ratio? I'm looking at a 4x4 RST 5.3L V8.

3 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

What do you guys think is more important for occasional towing: 4L or a higher rear axle ratio? I'm looking at a 4x4 RST 5.3L V8.

This really all depends on what you plan to do with your truck / what features you want available. 

I have a Z71 with the 2-speed transfer case. I wanted 4L, as I have used it in the past. I don't do a lot of 4x4 in my truck any more, but 4L is a feature I wanted to have when I do. 

To me, the 3.23 rear gears in the Z71 package are just fine. Unless you are hooked onto 6,000#+ on a weekly basis, I honestly don't think you "need" a 3.42 rear. These towing options the manufacturers are offering now are so marginal to 97% of the truck buying public. Before my 2019 RST, I had a 2007 LT Crew with a 3.73 rear. The truck was only rated for 7500# max. My RST is rated at 9600 with the 3.23 rear. That's plenty for me, and I like having 4L. 

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

This really all depends on what you plan to do with your truck / what features you want available. 

I have a Z71 with the 2-speed transfer case. I wanted 4L, as I have used it in the past. I don't do a lot of 4x4 in my truck any more, but 4L is a feature I wanted to have when I do. 

To me, the 3.23 rear gears in the Z71 package are just fine. Unless you are hooked onto 6,000#+ on a weekly basis, I honestly don't think you "need" a 3.42 rear. These towing options the manufacturers are offering now are so marginal to 97% of the truck buying public. Before my 2019 RST, I had a 2007 LT Crew with a 3.73 rear. The truck was only rated for 7500# max. My RST is rated at 9600 with the 3.23 rear. That's plenty for me, and I like having 4L. 

I'll only be towing occasionally but I'd be worried about exceeding the payload on a non-NHT half ton, as I've heard the tongue weight of a travel trailer can push you over the edge when your truck is fully loaded with gear and people. 

51 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I'll only be towing occasionally but I'd be worried about exceeding the payload on a non-NHT half ton, as I've heard the tongue weight of a travel trailer can push you over the edge when your truck is fully loaded with gear and people. 

I think max payload for the Max package on a 5.3L crew cab is 2,190. My non-Max tow RST 5.3L is 1,849. So that’s a 341# difference. 

With 960# on the tongue, you can still have nearly 500# of cargo with 2 200# adults in the truck. Pretty good. 

Edited by econometrics
  • Like 1