Tire help

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out approximately how many MPG's and how much power I would lose from going with a bigger tire. My 18 Silverado 4x4 with 3.42 gears has 255/70r17’s on it and I would like to level and put 285/70r17’s on it. If I go with a tire that isn’t E rated and isn’t much heavier will it still hurt performance and MPG’s significantly?

Obviously the larger you go the more exponential the decrease in mpgs and power will be. Also if your going from a LT or Passenger tire to an all terrain is going to make a difference.

I went from the OEM General tires 255s on the 17 inch wheel to 275s on a 20 inch aftermarket. I didn't really notice much power difference. The mpgs took a little hit but I can still get 24 mpgs on the highway if I'm not plowing through a massive head wind.

Edited by jaxcam02

My AT has 33x12.5x20 Toyo AT2's on it and here is what I get.  Hwy with wind or headwind 15-17.  No wind or downwind 20 or so.  Hauling an ATV about 12-14.  City about 15-16 but don't do that much in my truck.  I have the same gearing 5.3 ltr.  That 285/70/17 is basically a 33" tire.

Good luck ! PS.  Love these Toyo AT's.

4W

Edited by 4weight

Thanks for the input guys. I’m trying to figure out the best way to go about leveling my truck out. I like the look of a leveled truck with 33’s and I know it won’t look right if I level the front without upsized tires. Been throwing around the idea of dropping the rear some. 

Edited by Blaze2289