CarPlay music skipping

Hello,

I’m a new member - I searched the forums, but couldn’t find anything on this...I have a 2019 Silverado (but mine is the Legacy edition. It’s an LD, So it really is just a 2018 custom)

So on to my issue - When I play my music with my iPhone connected to Apple CarPlay I experience these 1-second skips that happen randomly. So in my 20 minute drive to work it will happen at least 5-6 times. Very annoying.

I’ve tried playing music that’s downloaded onto my phone, I’ve tried different streaming services (Spotify, Apple, google play), I’ve tried different cables, and I even tried different iphones (iPhone 6s and iPhone 10) and NOTHING has stopped it.

The only thing that stops the music skips is if I just use Bluetooth, but I bought the car to use Apple CarPlay!!

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Does anyone know a fix for this issue?

Thanks!!

I had a similar issue in my 2018. Turned out to be bad USB ports in the console. The ports under the radio worked but the ones under the lid had issues.

Hmmm, interesting about the bad USB ports.

I have 2x USB ports under the lid - tried both of them today and the music skips in both of them.

I called GM to report it and they said that they had never heard of that issue, Lol. Then the lady at GM said that a tech would call be back about the issue within 24-48 hours. It’s been over a week since I called and I’ve heard nothing...thanks GM!

Do the USB ports in the glove box connect to the infotainment unit?  The USB port being the problem makes sense.  The two in the console would run through the same wire but maybe the one in the glove box is a different harness.

One other thing you could try.  Put a bunch of music on a flash drive and plug that in.  Your unit will recognize it by pushing the “media” button.  Doing that will take your phone and the cable out of the equation.

Thanks GN2018,

That was a great idea.

I plugged in my usb stick and played my music from it on my drive to work - No skips at all.

So that means it has to be my iPhone right?

The question now is WHY is my phone doing that. It almost seems like it’s maybe an app updating itself or something and it causes the music to stutter for like a millisecond. It’s very frustrating...

Now try a new cable if you have not already.  Make sure it’s a genuine Apple cable if at all possible. 

It may not be the phone.  Process of elimination but do one thing at a time.  It could be the software in either the truck or the phone but rule out the easy, mechanical things first.

Edited by GN2018

10 hours ago, GN2018 said:

Now try a new cable if you have not already.  Make sure it’s a genuine Apple cable if at all possible. 

It may not be the phone.  Process of elimination but do one thing at a time.  It could be the software in either the truck or the phone but rule out the easy, mechanical things first.

Thank you and yes I have tried 2 different cables. One is the original cable that came with the iphone and the other came from an Apple store. The skipping happens with both of those cables.

I realize you’ve tried two phones so it seems like it must be the software in the truck.  Still, just to be sure, make sure your phone is updated to the most current version and reset the phone.  Sounds like you need to discuss this with the dealer.  My guess is that it’s a software issue with the truck.  I have an ‘18 and an iPhone 6 and have no problem.

You can can listen to music on the  usb stick and still use Apple Play for the other things like Waze, but obviously that’s less than ideal and hopefully it won’t come to that.  Good luck.

I’m sorry, the other phone I tried was a iPhone 7 actually.

I’ve been reading about similar problems with other CarPlay head units in other manufacturers cars. Other people are experiencing the same 1 second music skips as me. I have read on forums where people said upgrading to an iPhone 10 fixed the skipping issue.

I have read about a lot of people taking their car/truck into dealers to upgrade firmware for the head unit and it still not fixing the problem. I may have them check it when it’s time for an oil change. 

I have an iPhone 6 and it works fine without any one second skip.  Given all you’ve done to isolate the problem to the truck, it will be interesting to hear what they say.  That you must upgrade your phone is not an acceptable answer, but likely all you’ll get.

i had a Buick once where when I upgraded my iPhone, I lost functionality.  Forget what it was but I think it was in my Bluetooth functionality. They but me in touch with a special unit of Buick that handles Tech issues.  They confirmed the problem and eventually, the issue was resolved.  I think they had to work with Apple to get it fixed.

As much as you can tolerate the BS, stay on them.  If it’s actually a hardware issue, they should have no problem getting you a new head unit.

FWIW, my iPhone is running software version 12.2. and it’s a 6s.  It looks like I need to install the next update so I’ll soon be at 12.3.

Good luck.

11 hours ago, GN2018 said:

I have an iPhone 6 and it works fine without any one second skip.  Given all you’ve done to isolate the problem to the truck, it will be interesting to hear what they say.  That you must upgrade your phone is not an acceptable answer, but likely all you’ll get.

i had a Buick once where when I upgraded my iPhone, I lost functionality.  Forget what it was but I think it was in my Bluetooth functionality. They but me in touch with a special unit of Buick that handles Tech issues.  They confirmed the problem and eventually, the issue was resolved.  I think they had to work with Apple to get it fixed.

As much as you can tolerate the BS, stay on them.  If it’s actually a hardware issue, they should have no problem getting you a new head unit.

FWIW, my iPhone is running software version 12.2. and it’s a 6s.  It looks like I need to install the next update so I’ll soon be at 12.3.

Good luck.

Funny you mentioned that. I just downloaded 12.3 last night and NO skipping this morning and I was connected the same way (using usb under the armrest and Apple CarPlay)

But I also turned off my wi-fi hotspot yesterday (because my WiFi trial has ended) Not sure if that would make any difference, but that’s the only things I have changed.

So now I’m not sure what fixed it, we’ll see how it goes over the next few days. Thanks!