altitude/elevation in nav system?

I just made a cross country trip and went over the continental divide.  On my old rig, I had a 10 year old windshield mounted garmin GPS that would display my elevation.

Never thought about it in my new truck until we get into the mountains.   Looked around in the controls and the owners manual and I do not see how to display our elevation in the onboard Nav system.   Am I missing it somewhere, or is it just not an included option?

Never had that option in any of my OEM nav systems, same as speed display like non  OEM units have, doesn't have it on OEM units.

I've had;

09 Tahoe

12 Lexus GX460

17 Audi Q7

17 Audi A4

19 HC

None of which had elevation or speed display. I'm in charge of our company fleet and we has MB S550's, E400's, SL550, Lexus LS500 and the list goes on, not on those vehicles either.

Edited by eppieguy
Typos

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I just got my truck this weekend and drive through the mountains a bit and like to know the altitude/elevation I am at.  Dissappointing to realize this is not a feature in the built-in nav.  I am trying to find out if it can work through one of the Android Auto apps.  I know there are apps that tell you the elevation.  Both of my Audi's do this - a '15 Q5 and my wife's A5 Convertible and their systems are really archaic.  Maybe someone can chime in if you know the Android system answers as this is very new to me.

Similar story. Sorta. 

About 2005 I had a garmin that the screen could be configured to display altitude while displaying route (or just map) info. 

The 'replacement' garmin model had altitude info available but it was on a screen buried in the menus and could not be displayed while the map screen(s) were active. 

(both were marketed to the same customer group)

Add me to the list of those that would like to be able to have altitude info displayed in a corner somewhere -- but not if it's buried somewhere. 

Looking it up on a phone app doesn't cut it for us. 

I get that lots live in locations with little elevation change and don't travel much and/or don't care. 

But the option to configure the display would be nice.

Edited by redwngr

18 hours ago, redwngr said:

Similar story. Sorta. 

About 2005 I had a garmin that the screen could be configured to display altitude while displaying route (or just map) info. 

The 'replacement' garmin model had altitude info available but it was on a screen buried in the menus and could not be displayed while the map screen(s) were active. 

(both were marketed to the same customer group)

Add me to the list of those that would like to be able to have altitude info displayed in a corner somewhere -- but not if it's buried somewhere. 

Looking it up on a phone app doesn't cut it for us. 

I get that lots live in locations with little elevation change and don't travel much and/or don't care. 

But the option to configure the display would be nice.

I think the majority of people this type of information would be marketed to would fall into "don't care" category.  In a single trip I can drive from below sea level (Death Valley) to over 10,000 feet (Rocky Mtn National Park in Colorado), and I'll have highway signage tell me the elevation.  

6 hours ago, Transient said:

I think the majority of people this type of information would be marketed to would fall into "don't care" category.  In a single trip I can drive from below sea level (Death Valley) to over 10,000 feet (Rocky Mtn National Park in Colorado), and I'll have highway signage tell me the elevation.  

We have done lots of travel across US and Canada. 

(48 states, all but one province; many of them multiple times / trips) 

Yes, multiple trips to both DV and RMNP.  Etc, etc.

Like many mountain routes, Trail Ridge Road gives a completely different experience in opposite directions, as well as in different seasons.

My my observation has been that the highest passes generally have an elevation sign at the summit -- but many/most intermediate locations do not. 

I agree that it's likely that most don't care and/or have no use for such a feature. 

But some of us do.

59 minutes ago, redwngr said:

We have done lots of travel across US and Canada. 

(48 states, all but one province; many of them multiple times / trips) 

Yes, multiple trips to both DV and RMNP.  Etc, etc.

Like many mountain routes, Trail Ridge Road gives a completely different experience in opposite directions, as well as in different seasons.

My my observation has been that the highest passes generally have an elevation sign at the summit -- but many/most intermediate locations do not. 

I agree that it's likely that most don't care and/or have no use for such a feature. 

But some of us do.

More food for thought.  Factory navigation seems to be going the way of the dinosaurs and Android Auto and Apple Carplay are taking over.  Those apps also don't give altitude.