Money Light on 8-Speed, P0700+P0711

Check engine light came on a couple months ago, did some research and came to the conclusion that it might have been the TPMS Sensor.  Ended up changing out the entire throttle body for the JET Throttle Body. Money light turned off, truck was driving great, though the problem was solved.  Couple days ago, light came back on and the same symptoms were going on. Decided to actually scan it this time, which I should have done the first time. Got the codes for P0711 and a P0700. Kind of alarmed when I read the P0711 description since it included the word 'transmission' in it. Apparently this is the code for a faulty Trans Fluid Temp Sensor. Very hard to find any info on this problem in the newer trucks and when I took it to the tranny shop he said this is the first one he's seen have a tranny problem so far. Of course, the dealer was no help.  I went in and told them what code I got, first thing the snake of a salesman did was try to tell me maybe the seatbelt is giving off a code and that if I want them to look at it, it would be $220 from the jump. They also said it's not under warranty since it's electrical. Blood red mad. Anyways, I took it to a local shop and the guy that owns the shop has the same truck, just a 2015, so I feel I'm in good hands.  Called me up today to say he tried to order the part, and GM tech told him it's not just the sensor you can switch out.  You have to replace the whole damn harness. Why is GM like this. Anyways, I'll try to keep this updated just in case someone else comes across this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

While the sensor and harness are one part, the issue is actually a short in the harness, which with the sensor is inside the transmission oil pan.  The technician I spoke to knew about it before even looking at the truck.  Known issue I guess. 

Sensors fail sometimes.  Meh.  I had mine taken care of under power train warranty.  Took an afternoon. 

• 1 month later...

Dropped my truck off last night, they said as long as the tech does in fact diagnose the issue as the temp sensor/harness that it would be covered under power train warranty. They gave me a 19 (new body) 5.3 with an 8 speed. Assuming all the hard parts in the trans are the same, I think it's safe to say the stock trans tune/calibration is miles better than my 17 6.2 8 speed. Way less clunky and it shifts great/much faster under part and wide open throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 8/14/2019 at 2:39 PM, martha3065 said:

I had this same issue yesterday. Reset the codes. Happened again today in nearly the same spot on the highway on my way home from work.

2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3 8spd

How much was it to be repaired? I have the same truck and the same issue

• 2 months later...

Any follow up on this?  My 2016 just started throwing these same codes.  Has done it twice now.   I have headers and a tune on mine,  so I assume I will probably have to pay for this issue out of pocket.   What ever ended up being the price to do this fix and anyone happen to know the part #?  

12 hours ago, b1gted said:

Any follow up on this?  My 2016 just started throwing these same codes.  Has done it twice now.   I have headers and a tune on mine,  so I assume I will probably have to pay for this issue out of pocket.   What ever ended up being the price to do this fix and anyone happen to know the part #?  

Take it in, see if theyll cover it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 4:32 PM, b1gted said:

Bumping to see if anyone has updates for a part number for this harness.  My truck got the CEL for these codes today also.  It didn't affect drive-ability yet, but when I clicked on the tow/haul mode I noticed the temp gage was reading 0.  So I figured it was just a sensor that has gone bad.  For what it's worth I was driving in heavy rain when it came on.

I can see that it is a wire harness that must be replaced.  This shouldn't be that bad of a job.

Truck is a 6.2 with 62.5k miles.

Edited by 2016DenaliGuy

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just had this code on my 2016 Silverado 8speed ltz(55k miles luckily)

Since check engine light came on it is shifting wonky)

I'll update my original post on here which I started yesterday when it happened when I find out more.

Dealership said it's covered under powertrain warranty ( I guess since it's inside the transmission in fluid)

Thanks Matt ?