My cold start knock/tick issues continues "no repair available"

3 hours ago, ct_corey said:

Sounds identical to mine. Just like mine, the noise will fade for a while after an oil change. 

Are you just going to ride it out until there is a fix? I don't have much faith considering the bulletin has been out for almost a year. I don't think they plan on fixing it anytime soon. 

I do not want to ride it out, but not sure there is another option from what I am reading on here.  It is a lease vehicle I had planned on buying at the end of the lease, but if the engine knock can not be diagnosed and repaired they can have it back, good luck selling it with those noises! Interested to see what it will sound like on a true "cold start" this winter, lowest temp since buying truck has been mid 50's for a short time at night.

I will take it to the dealer just to have on record that the problem exists, and I will do all recommended maintenance by the book (if not better). This will help if we have to take this complaint to the next level (as in outside of GM investigation,  consumer protection agency involvement, and or legal, if GM fails to acknowledge/fix the problem.) 

Clearly this noise is not happening to every 5.3 in the 2019's so it can not be normal! Lets narrow it down to see if it was a bad batch produced during a certain time period at a certain plant.  Maybe casting numbers? What else? Is this issue only on the AFM engine? There has to be something in common with those of us who have this issue, lets figure out what it is!

ALL : Please share production date and assembly plant if you have this issue. (or anything that may help narrow this down)

mfg 03/19 Ft.Wayne IN       VIN last 6:  292657

16 hours ago, ct_corey said:

Sounds identical to mine. Just like mine, the noise will fade for a while after an oil change. 

Are you just going to ride it out until there is a fix? I don't have much faith considering the bulletin has been out for almost a year. I don't think they plan on fixing it anytime soon. 

Well I changed my mind. Had it towed to the dealer so I could demonstrate the noise (cold start).  I asked the service advisor if a tech would come out and listen for the noise with me present to avoid any confusion about what noise we were looking for.  She was very reluctant to "bother"  a tech while I was there, but I insisted on waiting until a tech was available, which turned out to be about 10min!  The noise issue interested a lot of people in the shop, they actually sent a diagnostic guy, the heavy line guy, and a third technician out with me to hear the noise. All 3 heard the noise, not able to conclusively say what it was but they were concerned definitely wanted me to leave the truck with them for further inspection. They were going to put it up on a lift tonight so they could do a cold start in the morning to listen with a stethoscope from below.  Very friendly guys and seemed genuinely concerned. Will update as I learn more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rail Boss said:

Well I changed my mind. Had it towed to the dealer so I could demonstrate the noise (cold start).  I asked the service advisor if a tech would come out and listen for the noise with me present to avoid any confusion about what noise we were looking for.  She was very reluctant to "bother"  a tech while I was there, but I insisted on waiting until a tech was available, which turned out to be about 10min!  The noise issue interested a lot of people in the shop, they actually sent a diagnostic guy, the heavy line guy, and a third technician out with me to hear the noise. All 3 heard the noise, not able to conclusively say what it was but they were concerned definitely wanted me to leave the truck with them for further inspection. They were going to put it up on a lift tonight so they could do a cold start in the morning to listen with a stethoscope from below.  Very friendly guys and seemed genuinely concerned. Will update as I learn more. 

That is promising.  Glad they did that. 

6 hours ago, Rail Boss said:

Man good on you for going through the trouble of the tow. If they figure it out, your efforts could help everyone else with the issue.  Fortunately I'm not in this boat "yet."

5 hours ago, Colossus said:

That is promising.  Glad they did that. 

It will come to the same conclusion after they diagnosed mine 3 times. They will hand you a piece of paper the references a service bulletin claiming GM is aware of the problem and will notify you when there is a fix. typical GM smoke and mirrors. This same bulletin has been around for almost a year with no update. 

13 hours ago, ct_corey said:

My dealer was great but GM will put a stop to the diag because they don't want to pay anymore repair time for a problem they don't plan on fixing. 

Update 9/5/19:  My service advisor called tonight to let me know she was going to be off work until Monday, the truck was looked at, but she had not spoke to the tech and all she could tell me was in the computer they had ordered 6 lifters, various gaskets and bolts. I have no idea why just 6 lifters, and the technician had left for the day so that is ALL I know guys. 

Service advisor doesn't seem very knowledgeable since she followed that up with "if it is done tomorrow one of my associates will call you." LOL!!  TOMORROW I really did laugh out loud. I was also advised that this dealer does not do loaner vehicles, however someone would call me to discuss a rental.

At this point I give the guys in the shop a rating 10/10, service writer/customer service 5/10.

I

2 hours ago, Rail Boss said:

Update 9/5/19:  My service advisor called tonight to let me know she was going to be off work until Monday, the truck was looked at, but she had not spoke to the tech and all she could tell me was in the computer they had ordered 6 lifters, various gaskets and bolts. I have no idea why just 6 lifters, and the technician had left for the day so that is ALL I know guys. 

Service advisor doesn't seem very knowledgeable since she followed that up with "if it is done tomorrow one of my associates will call you." LOL!!  TOMORROW I really did laugh out loud. I was also advised that this dealer does not do loaner vehicles, however someone would call me to discuss a rental.

At this point I give the guys in the shop a rating 10/10, service writer/customer service 5/10.

I

Does your noise go away after the truck warms up?. 

On 9/5/2019 at 11:54 PM, ct_corey said:

Does your noise go away after the truck warms up?. 

Yes eventually after several min. 

Update 9-8-19:  Talked to a different service advisor Friday, There is some bulletin for this issue which is why they are doing the lifters. Unfortunately the parts are on back order, could be up to 2-4 weeks. Dealer decided to give me a loaner Colorado, guess with the time frame it was cheaper than paying for a rental.

7 hours ago, Rail Boss said:

Yes eventually after several min. 

Update 9-8-19:  Talked to a different service advisor Friday, There is some bulletin for this issue which is why they are doing the lifters. Unfortunately the parts are on back order, could be up to 2-4 weeks. Dealer decided to give me a loaner Colorado, guess with the time frame it was cheaper than paying for a rental.

Any way you can let us know which bulletin? 

I checked this morning for my own curiosity .  The rapping seems to happen for about 5ish minutes. Its much louder and constant at first. After about 3-4 mins in trails off and you will hear a 1 or 2 raps randomly on and off unit its hits around 6-7 minutes. 

Dealer called today to tell me they replaced 4 lifters, but the tech did not want to return the truck to me because it still had a knock. As a mechanic myself, that is over the top respectable to say that and not just give it back to me like its all fine. Props to the techs in the shop.

HOWEVER, the service writer is completely clueless, let me quote what she said "we replaced 4 lifters, and that didn't seem to take care of the problem. The engineers at GM said to replace THE OTHER 4 lifters. They will all be new."   Hate to tell her it has 16 lifters. WTF. 

On 9/14/2019 at 4:28 AM, Rail Boss said:

Dealer called today to tell me they replaced 4 lifters, but the tech did not want to return the truck to me because it still had a knock. As a mechanic myself, that is over the top respectable to say that and not just give it back to me like its all fine. Props to the techs in the shop.

HOWEVER, the service writer is completely clueless, let me quote what she said "we replaced 4 lifters, and that didn't seem to take care of the problem. The engineers at GM said to replace THE OTHER 4 lifters. They will all be new."   Hate to tell her it has 16 lifters. WTF. 

At least they are trying. I couldn't get GM to do any more work on the truck. Did you ever find out what TSB they were going off of? 

My dealer referenced PIP5606C. Maybe GM told them to not replace my lifters or do any more diag because lifters don't actually fix the issue. 

To me it must be lifter related because my noise goes away with a fresh oil change but then slowly comes back as I drive the truck. 

On 9/16/2019 at 11:30 AM, ct_corey said:

At least they are trying. I couldn't get GM to do any more work on the truck. Did you ever find out what TSB they were going off of? 

My dealer referenced PIP5606C. Maybe GM told them to not replace my lifters or do any more diag because lifters don't actually fix the issue. 

To me it must be lifter related because my noise goes away with a fresh oil change but then slowly comes back as I drive the truck. 

Well, dealer called me to come get the truck, decided that the noise is normal if it lasts less than 7min. Invoiced is attached with references to bulletins.

I refused to pick up the vehicle because it still has the same noise I brought it in for 3weeks ago, ....not fixed. Guess I will wait another week until lemon law can be executed. 

I told the service writer if we go out on the lot and start 3 new trucks with the same engine and they all knock, that I would agree it is normal. He did not take the challenge.

INVOICE REDACTED.pdf