My cold start knock/tick issues continues "no repair available"

So here is my original thread 

After the RPMs drop from cold start my engine makes these weird ticking/knocking noise. The first part of the cold start is fine. no noise, sounds normal. Its after the idle settles down when the noise happens. Here is my you tube video. Watch until the end you can hear how loud the noise gets. sounds terrible.  I had it at the dealer 3 times. First time they told me to wait until I had 1500 miles. At around 2500 miles I go back in to have my first oil change and the noise looked at this time. They keep the truck for a bit over a week and they think it was an AC lines and or a lower radiator hose slapping against the frame and skid plate. At this time it fixed the noise but come to find out the fresh oil just made the lifter noise quiet for a few weeks.  Few weeks later noise is back again. It started quiet and got louder and louder.  I bring it in the 3rd time and now GM says its a lifter noise and they are aware of the problem but no fix is available at this time.  Some of the techs at the dealer weren't 100% convinced this was a lifter problem but GM engineers seem to think it is.   The dealer said I had to return my loaner and pick up my truck. They agree that it will be fixable at some point but agree that it is not healthy for the longevity of the engine. I called GM customer service and started a case. They asked if I wanted to pursue a buy back and I told them yes since they cant fix my truck. I hope this all works out. Not to happy with GM at the moment. I understand new truck have growing pains but this is getting out of hand. 

Watch the whole video, you will hear how loud the noise gets. 

20190620_180131.jpg

Edited by ct_corey

14 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

This has to stink for sure.

I wonder how many others or if there are more experiencing this issue?

I am surprised no one has had this issue on here yet.  I guess if you just hop in a drive and don't listen to it warm up outside the truck people may not hear it. 

10 hours ago, ct_corey said:

I am surprised no one has had this issue on here yet.  I guess if you just hop in a drive and don't listen to it warm up outside the truck people may not hear it. 

I don't have it even after idle drops to 500 rpm. What makes you assume we all have it and just aren't listening for it? Mine has a little DI clatter but no piston slap noise like this. My 2019 is 10 times quieter than my 2014 was. Your truck obviously has some kind of piston slap which sucks man. First one of the 2019's Ive heard that sounds  like this. 

2 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

I don't have it even after idle drops to 500 rpm. What makes you assume we all have it and just aren't listening for it? Mine has a little DI clatter but no piston slap noise like this. My 2019 is 10 times quieter than my 2014 was. Your truck obviously has some kind of piston slap which sucks man. First one of the 2019's Ive heard that sounds  like this. 

I wasnt assuming everyone has it. Relax. Just supprised no else has had this noise based on that gm says they are aware of this issue. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

My 2014 is like a concert of a box of rocks lol, i can't stand the sound these di engines make, seriously annoying.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

My 2014 is like a concert of a box of rocks lol, i can't stand the sound these di engines make, seriously annoying.

The dealer still isn't convinced its a lifter noise. The noise isn't steady like a lifter and it only starts after the rpms drop to regular idle.  On some cold starts it wont make the noise. GM states it is though. My concern is longevity of the motor. Will this issue now cause problems if I keep the truck to 100k miles. 

5 hours ago, ct_corey said:

I wasnt assuming everyone has it. Relax. Just supprised no else has had this noise based on that gm says they are aware of this issue. 

That's a shame on a brand-new truck.  Best of luck in getting a new truck.  If you decide to keep it, watch out for GM stringing you along with the "one of these days they'll have a fix" until your truck is off warranty, and then instantly joyfully wanting to fix it for you for several thousand of your hard-earned $.  I say that from experience.  And ignore those on here trying to hush you.  10 years ago, when I started asking about the AFM problems, a lot of people on here told me and others with problems to shut up, as it was 'only a handful of vehicles' and we were 'hurting their resale values'.  I didn't give a damn about their resale values; I was trying to get info on what to do about my truck's problems, as the dealers were sandbagging us, with an assist from corporate.  [Fast-forward 10 years and there are hundreds of thousands of verified, documented AFM problems that should've been a class-action lawsuit.]  I wish GM could pull their heads out and build a good bulletproof small block V8 like they used to!  Seems like their quality control is MIA.  Keep us posted.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

just heard from a senior rep from GM. They were nice about it but at this point they will not do anything for me. Since the truck is drivable and not a safety concern they will not offer a buy back or let me swap it for another truck.  They assured me gm knows about this issue and is looking for a fix. They could not care less about the longevity of the truck. They said we could discuss extended warranty or monetary compensation once the truck is actually fixed but it could be a while before that happens.  I asked about other people who have had the lifters replaced already and she did not have an answer. She just assumes conditions must be different then mine. She made it sound like this is a well know widespread issue. 

14 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

just heard from a senior rep from GM. They were nice about it but at this point they will not do anything for me. Since the truck is drivable and not a safety concern they will not offer a buy back or let me swap it for another truck.  They assured me gm knows about this issue and is looking for a fix. They could not care less about the longevity of the truck. They said we could discuss extended warranty or monetary compensation once the truck is actually fixed but it could be a while before that happens.  I asked about other people who have had the lifters replaced already and she did not have an answer. She just assumes conditions must be different then mine. She made it sound like this is a well know widespread issue. 

Time to trade it off

1 minute ago, bshort said:

Time to trade it off

I leased this truck( with intentions to buy it at the end as long as it wasn't a turd). The current buyout from GM is around 39k. Trade in would be low 30s I would assume. I cant really afford a 10k hit right now.  My last 16 was a shaking turd. I should have learned my lesson but all other brands just don't do it for me. Should have bought a Toyota. 

3 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

I leased this truck( with intentions to buy it at the end as long as it wasn't a turd). The current buyout from GM is around 39k. Trade in would be low 30s I would assume. I cant really afford a 10k hit right now.  My last 16 was a shaking turd. I should have learned my lesson but all other brands just don't do it for me. Should have bought a Toyota. 

I leased this one too.  I guess if they won't fix yours, just mash on it.  When the lease is up, offload it.