Potential Sierra AT4 owner....What should I expect?

Fellas,

Looking for some input from those who have been GMC owners for years. I am looking at buying a new truck in the next month or so.  I thought I wanted a Platinum Tundra until I made the mistake of driving the AT4 yesterday. That truck is pretty sweet and the 6.2 with all the tech got my attention. Do I need 5 camera views and speakers in the tailgate? F NO. Are those awesome feature that would be nice? F yeah!

The only two that I am interested in are the Platinum Tundra and the Sierra AT4. If I go with the Tundra I would put a 3/1 lift on it with more aggressive rims and tires. The truck would be my new dad mobile and family hauler for long road trips (wife, daughter, dog, and a ton of bags). I have never owned a GM product before (always been partial to Toyota) and I naturally have some concerns regarding the tech, interior finishings, and powertrain vs the overall quality/reliability of the Tundra. Yes it is a dinosaur compared to the Sierra, but it is a solid dinosaur that is tried and true. I am not crazy about the infotainment design on the Sierra, but the engine (6.2), exhaust, extra bed space, flat rear floor, and multipro tailgate are all nice features. It is hard to drop $50k on a truck that is ancient, but the Tundra continues to sale because of its reliability. Anyways, I am just looking for past experiences/input from any of you that are familiar with the Tundra and how it compares to being a GMC owner because I think I am headed in that direction. Thanks.

2 hours ago, GMC_Prospect said:

Fellas,

Looking for some input from those who have been GMC owners for years. I am looking at buying a new truck in the next month or so.  I thought I wanted a Platinum Tundra until I made the mistake of driving the AT4 yesterday. That truck is pretty sweet and the 6.2 with all the tech got my attention. Do I need 5 camera views and speakers in the tailgate? F NO. Are those awesome feature that would be nice? F yeah!

The only two that I am interested in are the Platinum Tundra and the Sierra AT4. If I go with the Tundra I would put a 3/1 lift on it with more aggressive rims and tires. The truck would be my new dad mobile and family hauler for long road trips (wife, daughter, dog, and a ton of bags). I have never owned a GM product before (always been partial to Toyota) and I naturally have some concerns regarding the tech, interior finishings, and powertrain vs the overall quality/reliability of the Tundra. Yes it is a dinosaur compared to the Sierra, but it is a solid dinosaur that is tried and true. I am not crazy about the infotainment design on the Sierra, but the engine (6.2), exhaust, extra bed space, flat rear floor, and multipro tailgate are all nice features. It is hard to drop $50k on a truck that is ancient, but the Tundra continues to sale because of its reliability. Anyways, I am just looking for past experiences/input from any of you that are familiar with the Tundra and how it compares to being a GMC owner because I think I am headed in that direction. Thanks.

I understand and agree with good old Toyota reliability.  But the big three are throwing insane money at their truck line-ups... behind the flashy tailgate and flashy badging there are significant improvements over the tundra...  tranny, chassis, braking systems....

the at4 is a big jump up in performance/comfort... safety..

C7F2E701-298E-4362-A4E0-01C31CB99B1A.png

Edited by PabloK

My thoughts: I had a 2014 Tundra which was basically the same as the 2008....which is basically the same as the 2019/2020.  Ancient.  The only "reliability" problems you may have are random, not repeatable electronic interactions with the infotainment system.  That stuff settles down after some updates and has no impacts on long term reliability.  My '19 LTZ 6.2 has the tech package with cameras and once you have it, it makes life with a truck a lot easier.  You'll get much better mileage too with the 6.2 compared to the Tundra.  Toyota's "infotainment" leaves a lot to be desired.  Push button start, better audio (the JBL system to me sucked), I could go on  Just across the board a much better updated truck.  I would not hesitate.  

After the Tundra and my wife's Highlander, I'm having a hard time finding a reason to ever go back to Toyota other than (perceived) reliability and they're a bit cheaper.  Maybe those two things work for you.  Also, don't look at the vibration issues that were common on the 2108 and older GMs.  That frame/driveline/whatever issue has been resolved.

The GM trucks are every bit as reliable as the Tundra, IMO. 

The AT4, IMO, is the best truck on the market right now. It's not flashy, but has lots of great options. I bought an Silverado RST, which I am very happy with. The AT4 was just a little too much $ for my preferences. 

I think you'd have some real buyer's remorse one week after owning a Tundra. As others have said, it's basically the same truck for the past 10 years. Totally uninspired and getting more outdated by the year. With an AT4, you're getting a truck that will look "new" for many more years to come, and has a lot more modern features and comforts. On top of all that, you'll get a beast in the 6.2L! 

Love my At4. I can't speak for Toyota, because I've never owned one; but the ones I've ridden in just felt.. Low quality? idk. As for the AT4, I find the interior to be very luxurious and comfortable. My buddies in the back had a lot to say about the amount of room, the electronic outlets, AC vents, and heated rear seats. If you're looking for a "family hauler", can't go wrong with the safety features. The seat vibrates left to right, or right to left (depending on which direction the object behind you is crossing from.) I thought it was pretty awesome seeing that for the first time. The multi-pro tailgate is great for having your kids give you a hand with things in the bed too. :cool:

Traded my 2010 Tundra crew max trd off road for the AT4. Most noticeable difference was the back seat is larger on the tundra but the at4 has more than enough room. Like you and others mentioned I couldn’t justify the 50k on basically the same truck 9 years newer. This is the first GM anything I have ever owned as well. I have owned my AT4 for right at a month and love all the tech very much. I did level it and put bigger tires IMO the ones on there were too small for my liking. Not sure about your area but my local Toyota dealership took my business for granted being all of our vehicles were bought there, so that kind of helped make my decision a little easier. Overall a great truck and an awesome aggressive look. 

F50FF1A5-73B4-4FC1-92B6-35C001CF476C.jpeg

F1E7481B-8FFF-459B-AD9A-BA272CFE884E.jpeg

Edited by AandW
Added picture

I love my AT4. The looks are great, the ride is great, and it has nice touches! Lots of people compliment the truck, like everywhere I go. A few friends have Tundras and they are certainly nice, but the interior seems so outdated, like they have never changed it. The GMC redesign looks a lot better in my opinion and the sound of the Tundra 5.7 is pretty sweet! Beefy.

The GMC feels more refined than the blockiness of the whole Tundra in my opinion.