Transmission

No "flush".

If you want to go more in depth you can add the new fluid and let it run a bit to mix in, then pop a trans cooler line off and run the fluid into a bucket/empty jug. I wait till I get about 3-4 quarts out, hook everything back up and top it back of with the same amount of fluid I pumped out.

I do that to get a roughly 8-9 new quarts added/mixed in.

• Like 2

There is no way to completely empty the thing. All methods rely on pumping out a few quarts at a time, mixing it back it with new stuff, and then repeat.

I think I’m going to take mine somewhere to get a full flush, when the time comes.

You can do a full fluid exchange by disconnecting the return line from the cooler and putting a tube on the end of that and into a bucket. Then start the truck up and let the transmission pump out the fluid into the bucket. When you see it start to slow down and get air in it, shut off the truck, add 4 more qts to the transmission and repeat.  It will take 16qts to completely exchange the old fluid to new fluid. 

The only thing that makes it harder on the 2014 models and up is that there is a thermostat on the transmission fluid lines on the side of the transmission and so no fluid will flow through the cooler until it is hot enough for the thermostat to open.  There are several Youtube video's showing how to by-pass the thermostat.  You want to have the fluid run through the cooler so that you exchange all the fluid out of the system and not leave any of the old fluid in the cooler.  The thermostat makes it a little harder to accomplish but it can be done.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

There is no way to completely empty the thing. All methods rely on pumping out a few quarts at a time, mixing it back it with new stuff, and then repeat.

I think I’m going to take mine somewhere to get a full flush, when the time comes.

this will be the safest and most efficient method, go for it.  Just make sure they use good quality ATF rated for that tranny.  You won't be sorry.