Rack and Pinion Mount Bushing

I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT and have noticed knocking noises when i turn my wheel both ways, i was able to get under the truck today and look at whats going on while a coworker turned my wheel, the rack and pinion slightly moves side to side when the wheel is turned, it looks like the bushing is missing and i need a replacement. I am not sure whether you can replace the bushing itself or need to replaced the entire rack and pinion assembly. I was able to find a replacement bushing on car id but can't find one anywhere else.

https://www.carid.com/2017-chevy-silverado-steering-parts/acdelco-gm-original-equipment-rack-and-pinion-mount-bushing-1623027731.html

anyone have experience with this? don't feel like dropping a couple grand if i don't have too. 

Also, i have brand new control arms, sway bar and tie rods are good.

Help me please! 

file.jpeg

1 hour ago, Carissa said:

I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT and have noticed knocking noises when i turn my wheel both ways, i was able to get under the truck today and look at whats going on while a coworker turned my wheel, the rack and pinion slightly moves side to side when the wheel is turned, it looks like the bushing is missing and i need a replacement. I am not sure whether you can replace the bushing itself or need to replaced the entire rack and pinion assembly. I was able to find a replacement bushing on car id but can't find one anywhere else.

https://www.carid.com/2017-chevy-silverado-steering-parts/acdelco-gm-original-equipment-rack-and-pinion-mount-bushing-1623027731.html

anyone have experience with this? don't feel like dropping a couple grand if i don't have too. 

Help me please! 

file.jpeg

Welcome to the site.

So, the bushing is literally missing from the truck, or is it pressed into the rack itself?

3 hours ago, Carissa said:

Help me please! 

file.jpeg

It looks like the bushing is there but it is missing the bolt that goes through and connects it to the frame.

4 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site.

So, the bushing is literally missing from the truck, or is it pressed into the rack itself?

Thank you!

It looks like it’s is still there but it’s worn down. I could be wrong but that’s what I see 

2 hours ago, BlancoSilverado said:

It looks like the bushing is there but it is missing the bolt that goes through and connects it to the frame.

I am totally new to these parts so forgive me for my ignorance, but I’ve done so much research and have yet to see a bolt that connects to the frame for this part... You are the second person that’s said that but I’m just not sure what I should be looking for because I can’t find anything on it

16 hours ago, Carissa said:

I am totally new to these parts so forgive me for my ignorance, but I’ve done so much research and have yet to see a bolt that connects to the frame for this part... You are the second person that’s said that but I’m just not sure what I should be looking for because I can’t find anything on it

Is there a Chevy lot close by? Or do you know someone with this era truck?

Look underneath another truck and see what that one looks like.

I will see what mine looks like and take a picture, just thinking, do you possibly have a lift on the truck?

18 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Is there a Chevy lot close by? Or do you know someone with this era truck?

Look underneath another truck and see what that one looks like.

I will see what mine looks like and take a picture, just thinking, do you possibly have a lift on the truck?

I should be around someone this weekend with a similar truck to mine, ill crawl under there and look. 

It does a leveling kit in it.  

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Carissa said:

I should be around someone this weekend with a similar truck to mine, ill crawl under there and look. 

It does a leveling kit in it.  

Thanks!

You are very welcome.

Wonder if someone forgot to put all of the parts back when they were done?

7 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

You are very welcome.

Wonder if someone forgot to put all of the parts back when they were done?

Perfect! I just ordered them now.

I already bought the bushing so may just replace that anyway, and just ordered the bolts.

I don't doubt that at all. Wish i knew who owned the truck before me, i have so many questions about what they did to it.

2 hours ago, Carissa said:

Perfect! I just ordered them now.

I already bought the bushing so may just replace that anyway, and just ordered the bolts.

I don't doubt that at all. Wish i knew who owned the truck before me, i have so many questions about what they did to it.

Thinking the bushings are pressed into the rack, which means you need to have them "pressed" out and then pressed back in with a machine, rack being off of the truck.

Could be wrong, bit either way, good luck with this fix.

Time and miles will answer all of your questions about the truck.

Edited by JimCost2014

• 1 month later...