Anyone take these to the 1/4 mile yet?

I've just got the 5.3 with the 8 speed, I read somewhere that it's suppose to do 0-60 in 6.6 sec and the 1/4 mile in 14.9 sec.  I did a little testing and the best 0-60 I could get was low 7's, probably because I'm about 3000ft above sea level.  I asked a few performance shops about upcoming supercharger packages, cam kits ect. and they said lots of those known company's are dragging their feet on these new 5.3's and 6.2's due to the fact that it's going to be a struggle with the EPA.  I know the PCM will eventually be cracked but at what cost..I paid $1400 CAD for the unlocked PCM plus tunes on my 2017 Ram 1500.  It'll be very disappointing if there isn't an aftermarket world for these trucks.  

Don't let it disappoint you too much.  This is the new normal in the auto industry.  Save for the canned tunes for us Duramax owners, our options are being closed down quickly as well with the EPA crackdown on non-emissions compliant toys.  For many of the 2011+ Duramax, PowerJoke, and ComeonCummins owners, it's a bit worrisome because the manufactures have not been engineering very reliable emissions components as of late when it comes to our Diesel Particulate filters and Diesel Emissions Fluid (DEF) systems. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2019‎-‎09‎-‎25 at 4:00 PM, MacLaren said:

Car and Driver got 6.1 to 60mph

Maybe put her in rocknroll mode :)

Did they take the doors, tailgate and hood off for weight savings or what haha.  No way I can even get this thing into the high 6's, the stock duratrac tires probably don't help either.  For being an 8 speed the gears are super long.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:02 PM, 19AT4 said:

I've just got the 5.3 with the 8 speed, I read somewhere that it's suppose to do 0-60 in 6.6 sec and the 1/4 mile in 14.9 sec.  I did a little testing and the best 0-60 I could get was low 7's, probably because I'm about 3000ft above sea level.  I asked a few performance shops about upcoming supercharger packages, cam kits ect. and they said lots of those known company's are dragging their feet on these new 5.3's and 6.2's due to the fact that it's going to be a struggle with the EPA.  I know the PCM will eventually be cracked but at what cost..I paid $1400 CAD for the unlocked PCM plus tunes on my 2017 Ram 1500.  It'll be very disappointing if there isn't an aftermarket world for these trucks.  

The best performance upgrade is the 6.2 litre option. 

Blows my mind ppl buy a 5.3 with intent  of dropping $1000's on performance upgrades. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brendon444 said:

The best performance upgrade is the 6.2 litre option. 

Blows my mind ppl buy a 5.3 with intent  of dropping $1000's on performance upgrades. 

Blows my mind that people mess with the 5.3 at all. Mine is plenty strong enough lol!

23 minutes ago, brendon444 said:

Drive the 6.2 feels a lot more than 65hp.   Ive had 3- 5.3"s and 3- 6.2's. 

Lol, why? I didnt say the 6.2 wasnt fast.

I have absolutely no use at all for one.

Actually, I'd never pick one over this nice 5.3 that gets 23 mpg around my home county and prolly 25 on an interstate trip..

Besides and like I said before, this 5.3 with 355 hp has plenty enough get up and go. 

Nonetheless, I hear ya. I know the 6.2 is very strong indeed. 

Edited by MacLaren

It absolutely boggles my mind, why buy a 5.3 when you’re looking into high performance, I understand looking to do the flex fuel thingy but I’d highly recommend getting into a 6.2 before a 5.3 any day. I love mine and even more with it lifted and tuned and will never get back into a 5.3 ever ever ever but that’s just me, I like the more smiles per miles [emoji39]

Sent from Above

6 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

It absolutely boggles my mind, why buy a 5.3 when you’re looking into high performance, I understand looking to do the flex fuel thingy but I’d highly recommend getting into a 6.2 before a 5.3 any day. I love mine and even more with it lifted and tuned and will never get back into a 5.3 ever ever ever but that’s just me, I like the more smiles per miles emoji39.png

Sent from Above

There ya go. I agree 100%, that IF I were looking for high performance- well, honestly if I were looking for high performance I'd buy a Vette lol

But, no seriously, if I were looking for a high performance pickup it would be the 6.2

Absolutely anyone wanting the highest performance should opt for the 6.2

But, the 5.3 is just plenty fine for what I needed.

Plus, it costs or did cost a bloody fortune just to get into a 6.2 

• Like 1

There ya go. I agree 100%, that IF I were looking for high performance- well, honestly if I were looking for high performance I'd buy a Vette lol
But, no seriously, if I were looking for a high performance pickup it would be the 6.2
Absolutely anyone wanting the highest performance should opt for the 6.2
But, the 5.3 is just plenty fine for what I needed.
Plus, it costs or did cost a bloody fortune just to get into a 6.2 

The 18’s are built very well and CHEAP priced right now and as far as gas, paying, I’m assuming $5 more at the pump for super and to be honest it’s something I’ve never ever even thought about. You’re right though, I didn’t buy this truck to race it, just want the truck to have highest available power which is what a truck should be like, powerful. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with having the 5.3, it’ll do (almost) anything a 6.2 can do, cheaper to buy and run too.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

I would have loved to have a 6.2 but they're very very hard to come by up here, especially in the AT4's.  Plus they were 6-8k CAD more than a 5.3 if you could find one.  The 5.3's have been around forever and I thought there would already lot of performance additions out there but I had no idea they just changed up the 5.3.  The 5.3's do decent at WOT but they're the farthest thing from snappy.  I'll just wait until they offer a supercharger package for them, hopefully next year.......

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 6:33 PM, 19AT4 said:

I would have loved to have a 6.2 but they're very very hard to come by up here, especially in the AT4's.  Plus they were 6-8k CAD more than a 5.3 if you could find one.  The 5.3's have been around forever and I thought there would already lot of performance additions out there but I had no idea they just changed up the 5.3.  The 5.3's do decent at WOT but they're the farthest thing from snappy.  I'll just wait until they offer a supercharger package for them, hopefully next year.......

6-8k more wow, it was only a $2500cad option on my K2 All Terrain. Well worth it if you are thinking of bolting on a $5,000 supercharger to pick up 15hp more than a 6.2L makes stock. I was buying an All Terrain SLT either way, so their wasn't the jump of SLE to SLT + L86 which would have been around $10k before the motor at the time. Sounds like you will finally be able to spec a 6.2L SLE soon enough.  

5 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

6-8k more wow, it was only a $2500cad option on my K2 All Terrain. Well worth it if you are thinking of bolting on a $5,000 supercharger to pick up 15hp more than a 6.2L makes stock. I was buying an All Terrain SLT either way, so their wasn't the jump of SLE to SLT + L86 which would have been around $10k before the motor at the time. Sounds like you will finally be able to spec a 6.2L SLE soon enough.  

All of the 6.2’s had the panaramic 

5 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Yep like he said, they all had that along with the HUD display.  It’ll be 13-14k for the supercharger package I’d bet for 500ish hp.  It would be awesome if they offered the 6.2 in a reg cab short box though.  

• Like 1