Anyone get the 9L7 Upfitter AUX switches

1 hour ago, Justice555 said:

Hello 

I have a 2020 Chev 3500 with the aux switches in place as an option

GM sent the fuse block and battery cable etc with the truck but the dealer will not install them as part of the PDI

i have read the upfitter bulletin 153 and it would appear that one has to remove dash panels just to get to the knee bolster panel.  Is this correct?

I need to install the fuse block behind the bolster panel but I do not want to take apart all of the dash to get to it.

can any one advise

thank you 

Yea unfortunately the main centre console and dash area has to come off to get the knee bolster our so you can mount the aux fuse block. Bit of a pain but not too bad... follow instructions in the link in the upfitter bulletin and take your time so no clips break! Well worth it the aux switches are nice! 

551E1432-D6D1-4435-A518-13F40106FC25.jpeg

816D6F9D-8480-4885-8BD7-6E7A5029D1E2.jpeg

Edited by 2k19Sierra
Mistake

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I've read this thread back and forth and I'm confused. What parts do I need to buy if I want to go from nothing, to fully functional aux switch, ready to hook up 12v accessories to? I see links for the trim pieces, the switch itself, but I'm confused because I keep hearing you guys talk about a "kit." Is there a complete one link kit?

I've got the dash apart, but I can't get the hood release latch off the knee bolster.

The .pdf shows a zigzag pattern to remove the latch mechanism, ... I've tried wiggling, pulling, pushing  and prying the 3 clips that hold it on... with no luck.

Can anyone advise me on how to get the hood release latch off the panel?

IMG_4054.jpeg

17 hours ago, Trvlngnrs said:

I've got the dash apart, but I can't get the hood release latch off the knee bolster.

The .pdf shows a zigzag pattern to remove the latch mechanism, ... I've tried wiggling, pulling, pushing  and prying the 3 clips that hold it on... with no luck.

Can anyone advise me on how to get the hood release latch off the panel?

IMG_4054.jpeg

I figured it out.. got to push in the middle section while pulling towards the engine compartment.  

7 hours ago, Trvlngnrs said:

I figured it out.. got to push in the middle section while pulling towards the engine compartment.  

Nice, get the switches installed and everything back together? Love the aux switches in this truck especially the location compared to the k2s. 

On 11/27/2019 at 10:52 AM, Swiftks said:

Never mind, I think this is it:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-instrument-panel-wiring-harness-84497098/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9ZnVzZS1hbmQtcmVsYXkmaT1HSDE5MjIyNSZyPTEmYT1nbWMmbz1zaWVycmEtMTUwMCZ5PTIwMTkmdD1hdDQmZT01LTNsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D

How do you know if this is needed or not though.  I would assume it is, if you're trying to retro-fit the aux switch bank into a vehicle it wasn't originally intended for.  Thoughts?

I had to use these to control 5 external devices.  The customer brought in the new knee panel with the switches and a big fuse block and wire bundles the dealer sold him.  The install for these would have taken a couple of days, it seems.  And even then, it would only give 3 external control outputs and switches 4 and 5 did something with the existing lights; not what we needed.

So, I thought I would just use the switch control wires to control the devices but, it wasn't as simple as that.  Switches 1-3 provided only 1.7 k ohms to ground and would switch.  I reverse engineered the switch panel only to find the switches 4 and 5 were not switching.  I found that the switching diodes were open on the panel and had to bypass them to correct the problem.  UNLESS YOU ARE A COMPONENT LEVEL TECHNICIAN WITH THE PROPER TOOLS AND SKILLSET, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WORK WITH THE S172 CIRCUIT BOARD!

I have the schematic for the S172 panel attached along with the external control relays shown on switches 1-3.  Switches 4 and 5 would be done the same way but without the external diodes I had to add.  Here is the link to download a one page PDF of the schematic from Dropbox, and wiring for the switches to control external devices with a Bosch type relay.  USe the password S172 to access the file.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 10:51 PM, SamDSJR said:

Ok, so I've read this thread back and forth and I'm confused. What parts do I need to buy if I want to go from nothing, to fully functional aux switch, ready to hook up 12v accessories to? I see links for the trim pieces, the switch itself, but I'm confused because I keep hearing you guys talk about a "kit." Is there a complete one link kit?

+1, full build out list anyone???

4 minutes ago, MattJames11 said:

+1, full build out list anyone???

here are the parts i ordered & installed, right from the quote from my dealer.  Note that i have the walnut interior in my truck meaning the part number for the knee bolster will be different if you have black...

image.png.526228021133ef2bd65242e65fbdb777.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 2k19Sierra said:

here are the parts i ordered & installed, right from the quote from my dealer.  Note that i have the walnut interior in my truck meaning the part number for the knee bolster will be different if you have black...

@2k19Sierra Just to be clear your truck had no upfitter stuffs when you purchased it right?

14 minutes ago, MattJames11 said:

@2k19Sierra Just to be clear your truck had no upfitter stuffs when you purchased it right?

correct.  it was sitting on the lot with no snow plow prep package or any upfitter equipment on it.  Another thing to note is that some trucks already have the fuseblock upgrade kit.  As far as i can tell that only comes with the snow plow prep package, but there are some other trucks that have this kit already, but DONT have snow plow prep.  I guess the point is, check your truck first & see if the upgraded fuse block kit is already there before you order it again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2k19Sierra said:

image.png.526228021133ef2bd65242e65fbdb777.png

What was the cost?

I have been waiting on the battery cable (84497098) since early December; have all the other parts to put this in my 2020 Sierra. Even resorted to contacting TE Connectivity to inquire into the availability of the end of the battery cable that connects at the Aux. Fuse Block, not so lucky there either.  Frustrating to be this close and yet so far away... 

Edited by William Sherman

1 hour ago, William Sherman said:

I have been waiting on the battery cable (84497098) since early December; have all the other parts to put this in my 2020 Sierra. Even resorted to contacting TE Connectivity to inquire into the availability of the end of the battery cable that connects at the Aux. Fuse Block, not so lucky there either.  Frustrating to be this close and yet so far away... 

how much are all the parts for this upgrade?