120v bed outlet inop?

So I was doing some tailgating and was gonne watch tv using the bed outlet. But didn't work. I read the owners manual, ignition on, 120v button on, green light on. Nada. interior outlet did work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but don't think so. Anyone have simular issues? Thx

Numerous posts on here that those outlets are made for recharging a laptop computer, etc, at the most.  Those who have tried household appliances like small refrigerators, vacuum cleaners, electric drills, etc, have been disappointed.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

I was using the bed outlet and the saw I was using stopped working after a while. No big deal... When I was in for an oil change, I asked them to look at the outlet. They said everything was fine and when I tested it, it did work. So I have no idea what happen, but I do know it was not working when I needed it!

1 hour ago, davester said:

A saw?  Like a circular saw for cutting wood?  If so, that would totally overload the circuit.  The owners manual will tell you what power that outlet will support, and it will be nowhere near what a saw will want...

I did see that after I used it and asked the dealer.  But I do want to know why would you build a work truck through and through to put an elec outlet in the back that can't even support a common household blender? Seems dumb and not intuitive. 

Well, it's because your 10-15A circular saw means it draws 100-150+A from your battery, and they don't last too long with that kind of draw (and then you need a boost to start the truck).

If you need 110V for anything other than the most trivial task, I would suggest using a small portable gas generator to provide it.  It'll be cheaper and more efficient than getting a setup installed in your truck, as to use 110V for any amount of time, you need to have the truck running, and with a high-idle so that the alternator can put out the power to support the 110V converter.

• 1 year later...

Here is the issue I am having. I purchased a 2021 1500 with a 120V power outlet in the box. Online you can purchase rail kits through GM for miter saws. Why in the world would they depict such a picture and not actually be able to follow through. This outlet has no purpose if it cant help me on the job. I really should have tested this before purchasing. 

Or at least just read the specs for the power output of the outlets?  GM is pretty clear that they are not like home power outlets, and are limited to only fairly low power appliances.

https://my.chevrolet.com/how-to-support/entertainment-connections/outlets-ports/truck-electric-outlet

But the good news is, GM is having trouble producing new trucks, so you should be able to sell it for about what you paid for it.  And then you can do some research to find a truck that works for you.

Edited by davester

I was very disappointed in this outlet too.  Just another gimmick to get people to look at the truck.  I've had multiple instances that I could have really used the outlet but it wouldn't power on the device I was trying to use for more than 1 second.

FWIW, if anyone wants something that CAN power household appliances and charge electric vehicles.  Go get an F150 with the 7500W inverter in the back.  It's a $750 option.  Can't beat that.  I wish Chevy did something like this and maybe they will in the near future.