Fresh off the lot and only just arrived, Banks engineers wasted little time getting the new 2020 GMC Sierra Denali on the lift for its initial once-over and 3D scan. As soon as that was done, the exhaust came off and fabrication had begun!

Here's the tentative list of  Banks performance parts for the 2020 Duramax L5P: The 5" Zero-Backpressure Monster-Exhaust with SideKick™ tip will likely be the first part available followed by the Derringer tuner, Ram-Air cold air intake, Ram-Air diff cover, and intercooler.

It's no secret that the new Duramax 2500HD and 3500HD have a tow rating of up to 35,500 lbs putting the impressive 910 lb-ft of torque to good use. With that beefy tow rating comes new, heavy duty parts and better thermal management like an updated air intake system, huge 28" fan, improved radiator and intercooler as well as a new rear axle. After almost 19 years, GM engineers finally decided this was the year to update the axle housing to accommodate a giant 12" ring gear in the 3500HD. It's still a 14-bolt configuration but the pattern is a little different. 

12 hours ago, TrailDemon said:

Is it legal to have all of this mods now with New EPA laws? ?

Yes the Banks parts for the '19 prior were CARB approved.

I'm sure the 2020 will be as well.

I have my Idash mounted already, I am a Banks beta tester and am anxiously awaiting my Derringer and ram air.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, powerhaulic said:

I have my Idash mounted already, I am a Banks beta tester and am anxiously awaiting my Derringer and ram air.

i was about to buy the idash and just order for the 19 from the website, if i do this and decide to add the derringer. would i just order the derringer with the switch when it comes available?

4 hours ago, bass mechanic said:

i was about to buy the idash and just order for the 19 from the website, if i do this and decide to add the derringer. would i just order the derringer with the switch when it comes available?

I would call Banks directly, tell them your intentions and they may let you preorder a Derringer and ship Idash now?

I would call Banks directly, tell them your intentions and they may let you preorder a Derringer and ship Idash now?

I did just that about a month ago, the tech who answered the phone was rude, a total dick, when I asked about 2020 he wouldn’t tell me shit just asked a simple question and the only way he would answer my question was if I pretended I had a 2019.
Not looking forward to calling them back. Wish I got his name, would like to speak directly to Mr Banks and tell him about my first and only contact with his employee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, powerhaulic said:

also since your a beta tester, maybe you can answer some questions?

i've noticed when the truck is working hard  there sounds like a LOT of air coming out the exhaust. to me this seems like a good sign of restriction!

thus robbed power, can you tell me if the new dpf back exhaust from banks would give me a little exhaust note rather than a whoosh sound? i assume a lot of the restriction is in the stock muffler?

also noticed a little black droplets on the front of my camper behind the exhaust, would like to know does the bank exit more to the side, verses back to the rear corner of the truck?

how many HP and TQ does it add, and is the derringer claims of 505 hp and 1001 TQ with, or without the exhaust and air box?

does the derringer lessen the turbo lag any?  does the exhaust?

i assume if you have to take it in for service you would want to remove it all. the exhaust would be a pin in the ass to swap i am sure but the derringer should be easy remove and install.

thanks for your information.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:48 PM, bass mechanic said:

also since your a beta tester, maybe you can answer some questions?

i've noticed when the truck is working hard  there sounds like a LOT of air coming out the exhaust. to me this seems like a good sign of restriction!

thus robbed power, can you tell me if the new dpf back exhaust from banks would give me a little exhaust note rather than a whoosh sound? i assume a lot of the restriction is in the stock muffler?

also noticed a little black droplets on the front of my camper behind the exhaust, would like to know does the bank exit more to the side, verses back to the rear corner of the truck?

how many HP and TQ does it add, and is the derringer claims of 505 hp and 1001 TQ with, or without the exhaust and air box?

does the derringer lessen the turbo lag any?  does the exhaust?

i assume if you have to take it in for service you would want to remove it all. the exhaust would be a pin in the ass to swap i am sure but the derringer should be easy remove and install.

thanks for your information.

There is a restriction at the very end of the pipe just inside the intercooled tip. Other than that, it is just 4"pipe. Banks offers 4" & 5" systems, there will be no change in the tone or noise coming out.

DPF back exhaust should not void your warranty, so removal should not be necessary.

Yes the system from Banks angles more to the side.

As far as power added, Banks only lists the power gains as Derringer only, and Derringer Ramair  and exhaust combined.

Yes the Derringer will help throttle response, you won't be dissapointed.

My responses above are my experience with my '18, as the beta version of Derringer for the 2020's is not released yet, but I do have my Idash up and running on my 2020.

patiently waiting for the Derringer and Ramair. :)

Edited by powerhaulic

On 10/30/2019 at 7:56 AM, powerhaulic said:

There is a restriction at the very end of the pipe just inside the intercooled tip. Other than that, it is just 4"pipe. Banks offers 4" & 5" systems, there will be no change in the tone or noise coming out.

DPF back exhaust should not void your warranty, so removal should not be necessary.

Yes the system from Banks angles more to the side.

As far as power added, Banks only lists the power gains as Derringer only, and Derringer Ramair  and exhaust combined.

Yes the Derringer will help throttle response, you won't be dissapointed.

My responses above are my experience with my '18, as the beta version of Derringer for the 2020's is not released yet, but I do have my Idash up and running on my 2020.

patiently waiting for the Derringer and Ramair. :)

i ordered my i-dash last week, i should have it monday.

the tech i spoke to was a lot nicer than the last one i talked to. he took all my info so when the new mod parts are available he can look up my acct and send me exactly what i need to do the derringer, exhaust and air filter.

• 3 weeks later...

From everything I have seen the architecture is the same with a few small changes that Banks touches on in one of their videos however I imagine they want to do some testing, etc prior to releasing it to the masses as a CYA for themselves. 

On 11/17/2019 at 11:09 PM, Dwayne Pierce said:

The L5P in the 2020 HD is not the same as the 2019? I was hoping my Derringer on my current 2019 DURAMAX would swap over.

There are some minor changes to the engine such as the oil cooler and the fan. Largely the same engine with better cooling parts. The big change is the 10 spd transmission, I would assume that's why they need to do some testing and more than likely make some changes. I'm pretty excited about getting a derringer, I love being able to do some performance improvement before the warranty is gone for once.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 9:01 AM, powerhaulic said:

If you are a beta tester, please take this thought back to them. I like their exhausts and I want to be in the market for one for my 2020, mainly for the cool cuff technology in conjunction with a derringer, I think that's good thinking. But every exhaust I see listed for previous trucks says it's not compatible with trucks that have airbags installed. Considering one of their marketing statements for this is that it helps divert hot exhaust away from your trailer, you'd think they'd make it a priority to make these things work together. For my use, airbags trumps the exhaust, and that removes me as a customer..... but I sure would love to do both. Just sayin'

On 11/24/2019 at 1:47 PM, jpgcrna said:

If you are a beta tester, please take this thought back to them. I like their exhausts and I want to be in the market for one for my 2020, mainly for the cool cuff technology in conjunction with a derringer, I think that's good thinking. But every exhaust I see listed for previous trucks says it's not compatible with trucks that have airbags installed. Considering one of their marketing statements for this is that it helps divert hot exhaust away from your trailer, you'd think they'd make it a priority to make these things work together. For my use, airbags trumps the exhaust, and that removes me as a customer..... but I sure would love to do both. Just sayin'

You're thoughts have been passed along.

You CAN use the 4" exhaust with the coof cuff.

The 5" exhaust consumes too much room, between the spare tire and air bags just not enough space left