Trailer camera issues

20 hours ago, acm2020Denali said:

I have similar issues.  The rear trailer camera usually works at first... for about 10 minutes, then it freezes (becoming a picture), then it goes black.  The really frustrating issue is the view is black when I get to my destination and need to see behind the trailer for backing.  It comes back on if the truck is turned off, but it's inconvenient to do this at the destination.

As far as the transparent trailer view it hasn't worked since the first trip.  This isn't a big deal because the camera has such a wide angle view I can't see much behind the trailer unless it's very close to the bumper.  My travel trailer is 35 feet from bumper to hitch.  I was disappointed to find out you can't enter more than 32 feet.  When it worked, the view was slightly distorted.  Now the progress bar doesn't even start, let alone progress.

This is what mine has been doing. If you have your dealer look at it, share your findings. Hope is that someone gets it resolved. I surely don't want to buy another camera just to see if it makes a difference. I'll get the Furrion instead, and use it in any vehicle I have.

7 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

This is what mine has been doing. If you have your dealer look at it, share your findings. Hope is that someone gets it resolved. I surely don't want to buy another camera just to see if it makes a difference. I'll get the Furrion instead, and use it in any vehicle I have.

I've had my truck in the shop 4 times for this issue, and I finally have a diagnosis.  The last 2 times, I've dropped off both my truck and my Airstream.  The service department has run several tests and diagnostics and field trials, using my camera and a camera that they have purchased.  Their camera works great.  Mine....not so well.  They say I have either a faulty camera or a damaged cable.  Either way, the camera should be replaced under warranty.  We have started the process of returning my defective unit.

Here is where it gets really interesting...GM has had at least 7 different part numbers for this camera, 6 of which are no longer available.  In fact, for several months, there were no cameras available at all.  This is partly due to supply disruptions due to COVID-19, but also mostly because they stopped offering the previous versions of cameras.  Apparently many of these early-version cameras are defective, so they've pulled the old ones and are now offering the redesigned ones instead.  It would seem they have struggled to produce a reliable product.  Hopefully the current version has all the bugs worked out.

I purchased my camera from a dealer with a large online parts presence (I'm sure you can figure out who this is).  I was talking to one of their customer service agents today, and he said they have been seeing quite a lot of problems with the early versions of the camera.  It would appear that we early adopters are the beta testers for GM.

I think the solution to our problem is simple (of course, simple is not always easy!).  Return your camera and have it replaced under warranty.  Hopefully this 7th version will be more reliable.

I'll update here when I finally get the new parts delivered and installed.  Please let me know what you guys end up doing.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, jaybauman said:

I've had my truck in the shop 4 times for this issue, and I finally have a diagnosis.  The last 2 times, I've dropped off both my truck and my Airstream.  The service department has run several tests and diagnostics and field trials, using my camera and a camera that they have purchased.  Their camera works great.  Mine....not so well.  They say I have either a faulty camera or a damaged cable.  Either way, the camera should be replaced under warranty.  We have started the process of returning my defective unit.

Here is where it gets really interesting...GM has had at least 7 different part numbers for this camera, 6 of which are no longer available.  In fact, for several months, there were no cameras available at all.  This is partly due to supply disruptions due to COVID-19, but also mostly because they stopped offering the previous versions of cameras.  Apparently many of these early-version cameras are defective, so they've pulled the old ones and are now offering the redesigned ones instead.  It would seem they have struggled to produce a reliable product.  Hopefully the current version has all the bugs worked out.

I purchased my camera from a dealer with a large online parts presence (I'm sure you can figure out who this is).  I was talking to one of their customer service agents today, and he said they have been seeing quite a lot of problems with the early versions of the camera.  It would appear that we early adopters are the beta testers for GM.

I think the solution to our problem is simple (of course, simple is not always easy!).  Return your camera and have it replaced under warranty.  Hopefully this 7th version will be more reliable.

I'll update here when I finally get the new parts delivered and installed.  Please let me know what you guys end up doing.  Good luck!

Jay, appreciate the update. Please let us know the new(est) part number when you get it, especially if it works as intended. Also, how did they determine it was a warranty issue for the camera? I was under the impression that the camera purchased through another party couldn't be returned once "opened" or installed, especially since it's an electronic part. I hope that fixes your situation and it helps others with the same issue. In the meantime, I'll worry about the camera once I get the back window leak stopped...

1 hour ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

Jay, appreciate the update. Please let us know the new(est) part number when you get it, especially if it works as intended. Also, how did they determine it was a warranty issue for the camera? I was under the impression that the camera purchased through another party couldn't be returned once "opened" or installed, especially since it's an electronic part. I hope that fixes your situation and it helps others with the same issue. In the meantime, I'll worry about the camera once I get the back window leak stopped...

The current part number is 84946379.  I think these should finally be available to the masses starting next week.

We're leaving next weekend on a cross-country camping trip.  If I don't get the new camera installed before we depart, I'll get it done at the end of the month.  I'll post an update whenever I learn anything.

The return policy on your "electronic" camera does not apply if you are needing to exchange out a defective unit. If I recall correctly, there is a 1 year warranty on the camera if purchased separately, and 3 years if purchased with your truck.  Either way, you're still within your warranty window for an exchange.  If you are only wanting to return a defective camera, I don't know what trouble they may give you.  If they don't want to work with you, you can always raise a claim through your credit card bank.

Edited by jaybauman

11 hours ago, jaybauman said:

The current part number is 84946379.  I think these should finally be available to the masses starting next week.

We're leaving next weekend on a cross-country camping trip.  If I don't get the new camera installed before we depart, I'll get it done at the end of the month.  I'll post an update whenever I learn anything.

The return policy on your "electronic" camera does not apply if you are needing to exchange out a defective unit. If I recall correctly, there is a 1 year warranty on the camera if purchased separately, and 3 years if purchased with your truck.  Either way, you're still within your warranty window for an exchange.  If you are only wanting to return a defective camera, I don't know what trouble they may give you.  If they don't want to work with you, you can always raise a claim through your credit card bank.

That's good to know. I may start an exchange with my dealer. I'll PM you with details. I'd really like to keep using this system, especially if I can do an exchange. That's why I was thinking of going Furrion, I was under impression I couldn't return/exchange the OEM one. Thanks for the heads up.

This week, I left my camera to the dealer`s mechanic. He tested the camera with another truck in stock. It worked just fine with it. Got a appointment to make it fixed on my truck yesterday.  Now, just got a phone call from my dealer service representative saying that they are in contact with the GMC Technical help. Apparently the video module might be defect. The video module is ordered and will be changed when it comes in.

I do not mind too much about the transparent view feature. Anyway, I doubt that the shape of my 34 feet long fifth wheel can match with the transparent view system. But as you say Michael Blanchard, I would like to be able to see behind the trailer whilst driving to see either if there is someone too close in my back or to see my 2nd trailer towed behind my fifthwheel.

Keep posted. I will put more when the video module is changed...

22 hours ago, LeCuré said:

This week, I left my camera to the dealer`s mechanic. He tested the camera with another truck in stock. It worked just fine with it. Got a appointment to make it fixed on my truck yesterday.  Now, just got a phone call from my dealer service representative saying that they are in contact with the GMC Technical help. Apparently the video module might be defect. The video module is ordered and will be changed when it comes in.

I do not mind too much about the transparent view feature. Anyway, I doubt that the shape of my 34 feet long fifth wheel can match with the transparent view system. But as you say Michael Blanchard, I would like to be able to see behind the trailer whilst driving to see either if there is someone too close in my back or to see my 2nd trailer towed behind my fifthwheel.

Keep posted. I will put more when the video module is changed...

This is making me wonder if some trucks need the updated camera or the updated video module. Any thoughts, @jaybauman or @MTU Alum?

1 hour ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

This is making me wonder if some trucks need the updated camera or the updated video module. Any thoughts, @jaybauman or @MTU Alum?

I have been asking my service advisor this same question for the last 2 months. He assures me that my camera doesn’t work with any truck and the new camera works with every truck they tried. Ergo, it’s the camera.  Logically, I can subscribe to this diagnosis, since my camera worked perfectly for the first 1000 miles or so. 

I may very well have a problem with the video module (that would explain some of my other symptoms), but nobody can diagnose that until we have an operational camera installed.  I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

Remember, these trucks have gazillions of computers, each with its own diagnostic capability. When something isn’t working correctly, it generally throws a code that the advanced diagnostic techs can read and decipher. If you had a video module problem, it would let you know. In my case, I was only getting codes related to camera function—not data signal processing. Either way, I feel that I am being taken seriously and GM really wants me to have a functional system. We will get there eventually. 

• Thanks 1

The tech did not get any trouble code coming from the video module. This computer is apparently behind the left side upper part of the back seat. The mechanic went throughout series of diagnosis tests guided by GM technical support over the phone he told me. The only possibility now is a defect video module... without sending any trouble code. A new video module is on his way to my GMC Dealer. I will keep your guys posted for sure if it fixes my problem... or not.

I have some hopeful news for some. I pulled back the rubber cover at the connection and saw where it had another end attatched. I unscrewd that, made sure it was clean, put it back together and made sure it was tight. I also slightly bent the outer (split) conductors inward. Once I did this, the camera worked properly going and returning on a recent trip. Will it last? I don' t know, but I will report back once we have more trips to use the camera.

• 1 month later...

Can I install the trailer cam on a slide in camper on a 2020 Silverado LTZ 3500 with the tailgate and tailgate camera removed?  The camper is pluged into the 7 way plug inside truck bed.  I had a previous 2015 1ton dually Silverado and I installed a tailgate camera on rear of the camper and plugged it into the camera port under the bed after removing tailgate and it worked fine.  I have installed the new and  far more expensive trailering camera on my camper on the 2020 K3500 but it doesn't work at all.  The dealer told me it should work but can't explain why it doesn't.  Doe the engineers at GM ever use these products in real life?  A 40+ year Chevy truck owner bu t probably my last one.

3 hours ago, Dos Equis said:

Can I install the trailer cam on a slide in camper on a 2020 Silverado LTZ 3500 with the tailgate and tailgate camera removed?  The camper is pluged into the 7 way plug inside truck bed.  I had a previous 2015 1ton dually Silverado and I installed a tailgate camera on rear of the camper and plugged it into the camera port under the bed after removing tailgate and it worked fine.  I have installed the new and  far more expensive trailering camera on my camper on the 2020 K3500 but it doesn't work at all.  The dealer told me it should work but can't explain why it doesn't.  Doe the engineers at GM ever use these products in real life?  A 40+ year Chevy truck owner bu t probably my last one.

There has to be a trailer attached for the trailer camera to work.  You would need to purchase a trailer tester or trailer faker for your seven way connection.  Then setup a trailer profile for the camera to function.

#iworkforGM 

On 5/23/2020 at 2:44 PM, falk1rk said:

Below is a link that tells you what to buy from where to relocate the bumper plug into the bed. I have done it and it was very easy but my camera is still on backorder so I have not been able to try it out.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235530-Help-W/-relocating-camera-port-from-bumper-to-bed-for-5th-wheel,#entry2388376

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am the wife of a Chevy dealership owner and a horsewoman with a large LQ trailer.  I waited for the 2020 so I could have the awesome camera system, as my rear view trailer camera used with my Ford was awesome and I needed to represent our Chevy brand.  As soon as I picked up my 2020 HD 3500 I told the dealership I’d be back because the Camera plug being in the bumper would cause the cables to get caught on the bed corner or bumper during sharp turns eventually.  Well, this week I was finally able to have our tech at the dealership move my plug to the bed.  I found the above thread, sent him the info and he was able to do it with parts they had on hand, He is now trying to figure out how we can replace the 4-pin/7-way that is now in the bumper, with another Camera/7-pin plug.  Being a Marine, I don’t give up on finding a solution!

I also had or have these issues:

1. Rear view camera on the big trailer not working.  Interior camera works. It just quit on a road trip. Rearview camera on my small trailer works fine. So, we know its not the trucks fault.  

2. Left turn side view camera failed intermittently.  They replaced the side mirror control module (?) if I understood him correctly.

3. GM OEM TPMS sensors will not fit in my Alcoa wheels. The threads are off by 1/64” I have a company working on custom TPMS sensors. I should hear if he was able to do something next week. 

4. Gooseneck ball supplied with the truck rusted and became stuck in the bed within 8 months.  The mechanism to remove it has broken.  I am trying a B&W ball now. 

5 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

There has to be a trailer attached for the trailer camera to work.  You would need to purchase a trailer tester or trailer faker for your seven way connection.  Then setup a trailer profile for the camera to function.

#iworkforGM 

I have the camper plugged in to the 7 pin inside the bed and a trailer plugged in to the 7 pin in bumper but none of the cameras work either in mirrors or the trailer cam I mounted on rear of camper.  I had to remove the tailgate to install the camper and feel problems must be caused by unplugging tailgate camera as it computer gives me message "no cameras connected".  GM needs to find engineers who actually use this stuff before pedaling it to consumers.  I have probably bought my last GM product.

On 6/21/2020 at 5:03 PM, jaybauman said:

According to my service department, here is the code my camera threw last time.  

50027243358_a59d354c01_c.jpg

This means nothing to me.  However, they ordered a camera of their own to diagnose my issues.  The camera finally came in, but I needed my truck back for a long weekend camping trip.  I'll get it back to the service center this upcoming week and then we'll see what they say.

RESOLVED!!!

Well, it's been quite a journey over these last several months, but it appears that I finally have a working camera with the invisible trailer view.  It turns out, the plug on the camera line that plugs into the bumper port was defective.  Upon inspection, it appears that the plug was never properly crimped onto the coax cable.  

My dealer gave me a new camera.  It has taken me a few months to get around to installing it on my Airstream, and now that's done.  The invisible camera view worked on the new camera without any calibration, but the camera had a bit of "fisheye" distortion and the boundaries didn't line up very well.  Somewhere I read a recommendation from @MTU Alum to adjust one particular dimension and recalibrate.  WOW, this is now better than ever.  

In summary:

1.  Original camera had defective plug, which resulted in lagging image or no image

2.  Replaced with new camera (different part number, by the way) and it works as it should

3.  Heading out this afternoon to enjoy the long weekend in the RV.  Looking forward to having invisibility option to help negotiate traffic on the freeways this afternoon

Recommendation:  If you're having image issues with the camera, have it exchanged under warranty.  IIRC, you've got a 1-year warranty if purchased as a part, or 3 years if you purchased with your truck.

Enjoy!