Trailer camera issues

5 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

I usually backup to trailer and get aligned to trailer hookup, shut truck off, hook up trailer and chains, then plug in electrical, and finally camera.  These cameras don't like a hot hookup where the truck is running or communications bus is alive.

When you say "don't like a hot hookup" ... does that mean a failure, an electrical issue. Or simply a "reboot" to make everything happy again? I am one to leave the truck running during these hookups.

FYI GMC/Chevy boys....

I would rather support my local dealer than an online shop. If I find something online, I ask the dealer for a price and to get it. I have no issue paying a bit more from the dealer than online. A "bit" more. 

Regarding the camera....  Shopchevypartsonline has the trailer camera for $356, plus $15 ish for shipping. I waited forever with no progress in order status. After 3 weeks, I called my dealer, he said he could have in one day, $475 plus tax. That's $516 when you live in the land of Cuomo. I told them about the advertised prices of the camera, he wouldn't budge, says there is no mark up in these. 

Today the Shopchevyparts camera showed up, less than $380. However, it had this sticker on the outside of the box. 

No returns if opened

29 minutes ago, In2racn said:

When you say "don't like a hot hookup" ... does that mean a failure, an electrical issue. Or simply a "reboot" to make everything happy again? I am one to leave the truck running during these hookups.

You typically will get a black screen with trailer camera views.  

I have connected/disconnected the camera with the truck running without any issues (no black screens). I have never tried to run the camera without the 7 pin connecter installed, i assumed it would not work becuase it doesnt have a trailer connected. 

On 11/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, MTU Alum said:

I usually backup to trailer and get aligned to trailer hookup, shut truck off, hook up trailer and chains, then plug in electrical, and finally camera.  These cameras don't like a hot hookup where the truck is running or communications bus is alive.

I tried this when I got home this evening and it all worked like it is supposed to. Thank you for the tips and info about the cameras. Not sure why is decided to not communicate all of a sudden, but once I followed your instructions, it worked like it should. Hopefully I remember each time and it continues to work right. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

When you hooked up the trailer view camera to your truck, did you have to enable something on your truck? 

I have a 2019 GMC Sierra SLT Premium X31, that has all the trailering camera packages, UVI - TRAILER CAMERA PACKAGE: LEFT & RIGHT SIDE MIRROR CAMERA, TRAILER VIEW CAMERA PROVISIONS, no front camera or rear view mirror camera. It has the 7pin with the two camera ports above it, one for the inside, one for the outside.

I tried hooking up my trailer late last summer when I got the camera, and it didn’t work then, but then we had winter so I thought I’d wait since the trailer was all stowed. I had to hook my trailer up this weekend and thought I’d at least hook up the trailer view camera just to see how it operated, BEFORE going through mounting and installing it on my trailer. 

With the truck off, trailer hooked up, a 2018 R-Pod with 7pin, I plugged in the trailer view camera, then started the truck and selected my trailer. Nothing else popped up, toggling through the camera views, the one for the trailer view is just black. I have the correct camera and RPO code on my truck, but it doesn’t seem to detect the camera.

Following all the instructions, I should see a picture, but don’t, just a black screen where the trailer camera should be. I also spent 6 hours at the local GMC dealer for them to troubleshoot it, they don’t have a clue, after all that time, even trying on another truck like mine, no luck. I told them that “I think”, from everything I read, you must have a 7 pin trailer hooked up for it to power that port, but they were not hooking up a trailer that whole time, but hey, they’re the dealer, they must know what they are doing, even though they didn’t know that trailer camera existed. 

I would say that it’s a defective camera, or a defective port on the truck. But either way, you would think the dealer would have a clue? they now want me to bring my truck in and leave it with them this week, of course “we don’t need the trailer” is what they told me. Any advice ? I’m about ready to take it to the Chevy dealer, who seems to have a much better grasp on this “new fangled technology” (dealer words from the service manager). This is the dealer tha5 told me to call OnStar to get the update for my Infotainment system ??‍♂️

Is the camera view grayed out where you can't select it or are you getting a black screen when you select the trailer camera view?

Your posting is a little confusing.  Do you have a 2019 or 2020 truck?  Only 2020 trucks have trailer camera functionality.  The UVI system does not have cameras in the mirrors or front grill.  

#iworkforGM 

9 minutes ago, MTU Alum said:

Is the camera view grayed out where you can't select it or are you getting a black screen when you select the trailer camera view?

Your posting is a little confusing.  Do you have a 2019 or 2020 truck?  Only 2020 trucks have trailer camera functionality.  The UVI system does not have cameras in the mirrors or front grill.  

#iworkforGM 

I have a 2019 GMC, it does have the option for trailer view. It had the view, just displays a black screen. I also have verified that the RPO code with the VIN and the camera I have Trailering Camera Package - GM (84580657), so the 2019’s DO have the option, the 2020’s are moving to a different a different plug I believe.

7F7660B7-58D7-4F7D-B6E4-E9F21433FB3E.jpeg

Do you have a light duty then?  I was confused you posting in 2020 hd forum about issues on 2019.

Anyways, black screen to me means either you plugged the trailer camera in before the truck was asleep, camera plug not making good connection, or bad camera.

I would try again reconnecting your electrical 7 way and trailer camera.  Shut your truck off and wait until the green light next to onstar button is out before plugging back in.  Make sure the camera connection is pushed all the way in.  

#iworkforGM 

Edited by MTU Alum

Yes, light duty. Sorry I was posting in the wrong forum, I am looking for any help with the camera because so far have been treated like I am speaking Japanese to the dealer about this.

Also, the truck was off, sleeping (on star light was off like mentioned, pushed in all the way. Did all of the different connection tricks.

i say the camera is defective but I have to give up my truck to let the dealer experiment I guess.

thanks again and sorry for the wrong forum.