Trailer camera issues

I purchased the trailer camera (#657) for my 2020 Denali 3500. I installed it on my 7 x 16 V nose trailer. The rear trailer camera view really is nice. However, not that it is a big deal, but the transparent trailer setting is not working properly. I have tried a couple setups.  

My trailer is 7' inside height and the overall height ground to roof is 100 inches. When I aim the camera down to get the base of the ramp door, I still get a good long distance of rear view as well. The range of the camera is such that I can see the very bottom back of the trailer at the lower portion of the screen and still the top inch of the screen is the sky horizon. However, at that angle, even after I have entered all the trailer dimensions in the setup, the system does not calibrate for the transparent feature. 

When I tilt the camera up, the system tries to calibrate, but I end up with a weird split screen that "kinda" looks like the transparent views advertised by GM, but my trailer is not transparent. Check out the picture in the link;

Non-transparent trailer mode.

Anyone having any luck with the mode? Tricks, tips?

Thanks.

posted by another memeber (MTU Alum);

"There are proper placement and camera angle that need to be followed.  The camera needs to be in center of trailer and 4 inches higher than camera in tailgate when your trailer is attached.

The camera angle needs to be about 35 degrees.  So 0 degrees would be straight down, raise the camera 35 degrees from there.  You generally don't want to be seeing the end of trailer or bumper.

If you see any shadows in the rear trailer camera view, it will have trouble calibrating.  You may have go in different direction.  

I recommend exiting the trailer app when calibrating and open camera app and select transparent view.  There will be a yellow status bar on the bottom to show the calibration progress.  I have never seen them calibrate in 60 feet it usually quite a bit longer."

In order to calibrate, you need to drive in straight line from 10 to 30 mph.  If you have a v nosed trailer you probably need to adjust your center of ball to front of trailer measurement.  The measurement should be from center of ball to if the trailer had a flat front.  So measurement should be center of ball to where the v starts on the trailer.  

The transparent image works by stitching four camera views together: tailgate, outside mirrors, and trailer cam.  

#iworkforGM 

I wonder if anyone with a long 5er or gooseneck tried to manipulate the numbers and style of camera to get this to work, or at least semi-work? I know that any 5th wheel is ineligible to have it, so you'd have to select a type of tag-along trailer and pretty much max out the dimensions. I installed the rear trailer camera and was happy just to see behind the camper, then noticed there is a view that shows the mirror cameras and rear trailer camera on one screen. That's pretty nice, especially when backing.

Shotgun,

I agree, the key with these cameras is the awesome ability to see behind your trailer. It is really a cool option to have that functionality integrated in. The transparent thing is really no big deal for me, but like a kid with a new toy, you just wanna play with the cool factor.

In a different thread, MTU Alum, who works for GM, explained to me that in order for the 4 cameras to stitch the transparent view, the trailer camera needs in a position slightly above the tailgate camera. That parameter practically rules out the transparent view on a tall enclosed trailer or certainly on your 5th wheel camper. 

On my wishlist for GM is the ability to put the rear trailer cam view ON the rear-view mirror screen. We are trained to look at the rear view mirror to see behind us, if we have a trailer camera, we should have the option to cast that onto the rear view mirror screen. That would free u the main screen for other functions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MoCOgmc said:

Wait, why can't we put them on 5th wheels? 

You can put them on 5th wheels, you just won't have the transparent trailer view. However, the view with the mirror cameras and rear vision camera is pretty dang good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

You can put them on 5th wheels, you just won't have the transparent trailer view. However, the view with the mirror cameras and rear vision camera is pretty dang good.

I agree.... super cool to have this. 

Been using my on my 5th wheel and it's been great...until today. Got home and went to use the camera to get backed up correctly and got nothing but a black screen. The infotainment lets me select it, but it shows no picture. I've changed ports to the in-trailer view and got the same result. One time we did get a picture blip, but nothing consistent. Any ideas or similar issues?

8 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

Been using my on my 5th wheel and it's been great...until today. Got home and went to use the camera to get backed up correctly and got nothing but a black screen. The infotainment lets me select it, but it shows no picture. I've changed ports to the in-trailer view and got the same result. One time we did get a picture blip, but nothing consistent. Any ideas or similar issues?

That sucks... we paid way too much money for these cameras for them not to work for years and years.

7 hours ago, In2racn said:

That sucks... we paid way too much money for these cameras for them not to work for years and years.

I'm going to check the back of the connection on the truck to see if something is loose. It's like it knows there is a camera there, but no picture. The one time we got a picture after we got home, I went a shook the cable, wiggled it, etc to see of that was the issue but it stayed on until we unplugged and plugged back in. Odd, for sure.

Messed with it some this afternoon. Never got it to work on the rear trailer mode/plug, but did get it to work briefly when plugged into the interior trailer plug. While it was on, I pulled, shook, and flexed the plug and wire. The picture stayed on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it wouldn’t come on that time. It’s almost as if it’s a power issue with the truck plugs or the ECM isn’t sending power to the camera all the time. Anyone know how the power is supplied to these trailer cameras?

Do you have the seven way trailer plugged in when checking the trailer cams?  I know you will not get power without 7 way plugged in.  Also, I recommend having the truck completely asleep before plugging trailer cams.  The truck is usually asleep after the green OnStar light goes out.

#iworkforGM 

3 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

Do you have the seven way trailer plugged in when checking the trailer cams?  I know you will not get power without 7 way plugged in.  Also, I recommend having the truck completely asleep before plugging trailer cams.  The truck is usually asleep after the green OnStar light goes out.

#iworkforGM 

I will try that! Thanks for the tip. Will let you know how it goes. So, basically have the truck off, then connect the 2 cables, then start the truck? May even try some contact cleaner on the connections to make sure nothing got in them.