Mileage Worries

I’ve seen a few threads on these forums concerning mileage/year diffentials. How much of a concern is mileage/year ratios with modern trucks these days? 

I just traded in my 16’ for an 18’ with 26k on the clock, should I be concerned? It’s  in great shape. Clean record. Pristine leather/interior trim/exterior.

i usually drive around 7-8k, so I’m not planning on racking up too much mileage by the time it’s paid off.

Edited by mistermcgoo
  • Like 1

That's hard to say. Highway mileage is not the same as city mileage.

Then there's other things to consider. Was V4 mode enabled or disabled? For how long?

Was the engine regularly sprayed with GDI cleaner and/or catch can used?

Failure on these trucks is all over the place in terms of mileage. It's what happens during those miles, not just what's on the odometer.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistermcgoo said:

I’ve seen a few threads on these forums concerning mileage/year diffentials. How much of a concern is mileage/year ratios with modern trucks these days? 

I just traded in my 16’ for an 18’ with 26k on the clock, should I be concerned? It’s  in great shape. Clean record. Pristine leather/interior trim/exterior.

i usually drive around 7-8k, so I’m not planning on racking up too much mileage by the time it’s paid off.

As in too little mileage per year or too much mileage per year?  I think the average is 15k per year, so your ‘18 comes in just below average.

As long as you keep up with maintenance, mileage should be no issue.  Up here in the northeast, at least, the body will fail long before high mileage kills it.

Just curious, how many miles did your ‘16 have on it, and why the trade?

• Like 1

170k+ miles on my 15 5.3L. No catch can. Diabaled v4 mode (6pd trans, M mode always in 5th gear to keep it in 8cyl) mix of highway and city. Used to tow often, but not much these days. I redline it though at least one gear daily. The truck looks and feels brand new inside and out. I am very happy with this platform overall.

List of replacement: A/C system at about 120k miles

New trans at 160k

Hoping for 200k and beyond.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2015 Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2L V8. No Catch Can, Variable Cylinders on. Only failure items are AC condenser at 133k and LR axle seal at 91k. Oil changes every 5k, trans/t case/diff fluids changed at 35k. I change the AcDelco paper air filter every 22.5K (or thereabouts). 

Vast majority of mileage is 70/80 mph state highway/interstate driving with cruise control set. 

Edited by CadillacLuke24
  • Like 4

I put a lot of miles on my trucks. And they’re usually still in pretty good shape when I get rid of em so I’ve never been afraid of buying one with a few miles on it as long as it’s been maintained. The trick is to take care of the things you can when you’re sposta. Defects/recalls are unpredictable and happen when they happen. But if you treat a truck right, it usually returns the favor, especially the modern ones. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 hours ago, royalkangaroo said:

As in too little mileage per year or too much mileage per year?  I think the average is 15k per year, so your ‘18 comes in just below average.

As long as you keep up with maintenance, mileage should be no issue.  Up here in the northeast, at least, the body will fail long before high mileage kills it.

Just curious, how many miles did your ‘16 have on it, and why the trade?

My 16’ had 19k on it when I just traded it. 

Well, I wasn’t really in the market for a new truck honestly.. as I was pretty satisfied with my 16’. That being said, a local lot happened to have a blacked out 18’ redline that had every option that my 16’ LT did not, I figured it couldn’t hurt to stop and check it out. I told myself if they could come close to what my monthly payment is now and not extend my loan term at all that I would consider it.. 

After a bit of negotiating, my payment came out to $10 more dollars a month without any money down and I drove home in my (new to me) 18’. 

I plan on keeping this one for the long haul. It’s been 3 years since the K2 refresh (2016-2018 & 2019 LD) came out and I still don’t think there’s a better looking truck out there currently IMO..

Edited by mistermcgoo