Help me find my issue

GTN

Hello everyone, I'm new here and looking to see if anyone may can point me in the right direction. 

2018 Silverado 1500 7,500 miles

2.5" Summit performance leveling kit on front nothing in the rear.

Factory 18" wheels

285/75/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

No issues what so ever until I hook a trailer to it. When towing at 60mph + or - a couple mph I start getting a vibration. As speed goes up the vibration gets worse. I have had alignment rechecked, tires rebalanced, nothing jumps out when looking at it. Had my mechanic take a look. 

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue before I take it to Chevrolet. I don't want to get the run around from them. 

Before I go to Chevy I think I will put factory tires back on. If problem still exist I will remove leveling kit and see. To be honest I don't think I ever towed anything before I leveled it. 

Guess I should have mentioned that I have pulled three different trailers with various weight's. 

1. 21' bass boat tandem trailer

2. 16' tandem utility with utv 

3. 14' single axle with zeroturn mower

With the varying weights the vibration starts at within 5mph of 60mph. 

Edited by GTN

Since it only happens when pulling a trailer, maybe look at that too. What about the trailer tires? Have they been balanced? Any chance the trailer has been in an accident and the alignment is off? Maybe try borrowing a similar trailer from a buddy and see if there is any change.

1 hour ago, GTN said:

Hello everyone, I'm new here and looking to see if anyone may can point me in the right direction. 

2018 Silverado 1500 7,500 miles

2.5" Summit performance leveling kit on front nothing in the rear.

Factory 18" wheels

285/75/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

No issues what so ever until I hook a trailer to it. When towing at 60mph + or - a couple mph I start getting a vibration. As speed goes up the vibration gets worse. I have had alignment rechecked, tires rebalanced, nothing jumps out when looking at it. Had my mechanic take a look. 

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue before I take it to Chevrolet. I don't want to get the run around from them. 

Before I go to Chevy I think I will put factory tires back on. If problem still exist I will remove leveling kit and see. To be honest I don't think I ever towed anything before I leveled it. 

Welcome to the site.

What type of trailer, and how much does it weigh while pulling it?

I actually had a very similar issue with my older Chevy. Turns out the drop on the drawbar actually caused the trailer to catch wind at just the right angle underneath and cause a nasty vibration. I changed to a drawbar with a different drop height and the problem went away

Edited by MatrulliMotors

Guess I should have mentioned that I have pulled three different trailers with various weight's. 

With the varying weights the vibration starts at within 5mph of 60mph. 

18 minutes ago, GTN said:

Guess I should have mentioned that I have pulled three different trailers with various weight's. 

With the varying weights the vibration starts at within 5mph of 60mph. 

Those don't sound real heavy, my guess was going to be a very heavy trailer making the rear of the truck "squat", and maybe changing the angles on your drive line.

I am not real familiar with how much more angle a 2.5 lift would change things.

I had a 2004 RCSB with a static 2-4 drop and it took them quite a few times to get the angle of the driveshaft to be back in balance, it was a very noticeable vibration till they figured it out. 

7 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Those don't sound real heavy, my guess was going to be a very heavy trailer making the rear of the truck "squat", and maybe changing the angles on your drive line.

I am not real familiar with how much more angle a 2.5 lift would change things.

I had a 2004 RCSB with a static 2-4 drop and it took them quite a few times to get the angle of the driveshaft to be back in balance, it was a very noticeable vibration till they figured it out. 

That's still what I am leaning towards Jim. 

3 hours ago, GTN said:

That's still what I am leaning towards Jim. 

I would take it to the shop that did the level with your heaviest trailer in tow and see if they have a spirit level protractor or some sort of operating angle calculator so see if you are out of factory specs.

I would get with all your buddies and find out how many hitches you can up with in varying drop. Even a 1\2" higher or lower can make all the difference. Is your hitch pin solid and snug? Ball tightened properly? Try towing with different drops and see if gets better or worse. Free options before taking your truck apart..