Bad dealer experience

Sorry to rant but this is needs to be heard. Took the truck in for a inspection and tire rotate. Also had them look into a squeak from engine compartment. I had already replaced tension pulley and checked out idle pulley.Belt is 3 months old. They could not hear the squeak and put the vehicle on engine diagnostics for some reason and of course charged $100 for that. They did find a broken exhaust bolt which they said is not covered under my extended warranty. They wanted $400 to repair that. I declined. They finally heard the squeak and said it was the main serpentine belt. The one that is only 3 months old. Now it is a gates belt but not GM OEM. They wanted $415 to replace!!!!! I said what is the cost of the part and was quoted $385. Now you can get this OEM belt on Rockauto for $40. So I figured 2 or 3 times that cost but this is highway robbery. I asked him what planet he was on and declined that service. So any of you in WNY, do not use Jim Murphy GMC/Buick for service. They will just charge crazy prices for repairs. 

• 1 year later...

That sounds high sure thing. But you need to account for how long products last. You get what you pay for. I remember getting about 50K miles out of a alternator. My newest car is a 15 oldest is an 01. Battery and a set of brakes that’s it. Of course tires. Belts and hoses last years. I can’t remember the last time I needed a water pump or alternator. I even get years out of wiper blades. That used to be seasonal. I spend more on car washes than anything, except gas.

Not saying it is right, but some dealerships try to make the most out of service if sales are way down.  Best to just shop around.

Even then some of us don't have that option when living in a rural are and it's 100's of miles to a dealership. This is where doing as much yourself as you can will help and save money.

My 2002 Silverado had 200k on it when I sold it.  Had the original front brakes and only had to have the alternator rebuilt at 150k. The rest was all original except for the belts and hoses and fluids of course.