Text messages

Asd A

• 8 months later...

A couple people have reported success emailing GM about it, ([email protected]) and requesting it be installed.  I tried that back in May, perhaps they got wise to all the requests, and there response was that the app is no longer supported and as such will cannot be installed.  In addition supposedly when those trucks that have it get their next software update it will be removed.   That said if my 2020 AT4 is any indication (no update since March) they may never update the older ones :)

If anyone has success with it now I'll have to retry. 

• 10 months later...

Seems its the same old same in 2021....GM wayyyy behind the times...claim its a "safety issue" . I call BS. I think checking my phone when I'm waiting for a text is worse than a quick glance at my radio.

Screenshot_20210723-160900_Gmail.jpg

On 7/23/2021 at 4:12 PM, Doug G said:

Seems its the same old same in 2021....GM wayyyy behind the times...claim its a "safety issue" . I call BS. I think checking my phone when I'm waiting for a text is worse than a quick glance at my radio.

Screenshot_20210723-160900_Gmail.jpg

I sent them and email and we shall see

Got a called back from GM today after sending email last Wednesday. Said that app is no longer available for 19 and up trucks. Was available for a short time in the app center but since has been removed and no longer coming back. Mentioned Apple Carplay & Android Auto with bluetooth passthrough is the only "real" workaround. Not the answer any of us wanted but at least we know now I guess

On 8/2/2021 at 5:19 PM, Raven2m said:

I got the same answer from them after playing phone tag for about a month. Not happy that i have to be plug in to get text messages.

Plugged in ?

I can only get mine if in phone app....🤬🤬🤬

My new 2021 gets the text message in the radio and reads it to me.  Then it asks me if I want to reply etc.  I think it is actually the phone doing it, but I see it on the screen.   Very similar to what my 2018 F150 did.  My iphone uses the apple carplay.  I do not have to plug up the phone for this to work.  Could be just for the new trucks now.

2 hours ago, milkmaster said:

My new 2021 gets the text message in the radio and reads it to me.  Then it asks me if I want to reply etc.  I think it is actually the phone doing it, but I see it on the screen.   Very similar to what my 2018 F150 did.  My iphone uses the apple carplay.  I do not have to plug up the phone for this to work.  Could be just for the new trucks now.

Thats what mine will do, but only if in android auto app...if on radio or home screens, nope.

2 hours ago, Doug G said:

Thats what mine will do, but only if in android auto app...if on radio or home screens, nope.

I have my apple carplay set to auto on in the menu, but I usually just exit out of it, hit the home menu, and then go to audio with the radio on.  When a msg comes, the radio volume will automatically mute and the announcement notifies me I have a new msg.  Then it reads it to me and asks if I want to respond.  I can respond or choose not to.  When that is all finished the radio audio resumes again.  

• Thanks 1

I guess I need to look deeper into this "pluged in" setting. Tried a number of times, notta.

Maybe someone started than me will do a step by step for dummies. LOL

Still only get if I'm in android auto app, on maps or such, but go to radio or home screens. Nope

Edited by Doug G

2 hours ago, Doug G said:

I guess I need to look deeper into this "pluged in" setting. Tried a number of times, notta.

Maybe someone started than me will do a step by step for dummies. LOL

Still only get if I'm in android auto app, on maps or such, but go to radio or home screens. Nope

I spoke to my son about his experiences with his 2020 Canyon carplay.  He is an newer Iphone user and says that later iphones appear differently onscreen with carplay than earlier models.  I am still using my old iphone 7 and my GMC text system appears a little more archaic than his, or at least that what he says.  What I am trying to say is that maybe it is your android phone if it is an older model not doing what you would like.  I will be buying a new iphone in the next year and will be interested in noticing any changes I see.  

Edited by milkmaster

• 2 weeks later...