Text messages

Asd A

5 minutes ago, Ryno12 said:

CarPlay wouldn’t be bad if you didn’t have to plug in your phone every time.
Would certainly be great to just leave your phone in your pocket & still receive texts.

I don't mind plugging in, what is the big deal really? It charges your phone while you drive, the USB connection is in the center console so you do not have cables running everywhere. My phone sits in a cradle behind the cup holders so it is perfect and even if I did not have that, I could put my phone in the little divot on top of the center console and be good to go. I personally have no issue plugging it in.

1 hour ago, Taz56 said:

Yes I have to be wired in, no I do not have to be on that screen.

No, I can be on any screen and they work. A message pops up on the screen and I can touch it and it will read the message to me and let me reply. If I do that it takes me back automatically to the last screen I was on. I can also choose to ignore it.

Really , huh  I know someone mentioned if u had a Feb 2019 build it would work . 

2 minutes ago, Asd A said:

Really , huh  I know someone mentioned if u had a Feb 2019 build it would work . 

No idea when mine was built, but I will find time this weekend to take a video and post it up.

I don't mind plugging in, what is the big deal really? It charges your phone while you drive, the USB connection is in the center console so you do not have cables running everywhere. My phone sits in a cradle behind the cup holders so it is perfect and even if I did not have that, I could put my phone in the little divot on top of the center console and be good to go. I personally have no issue plugging it in.

I plugged in with my previous Sierra to occasionally use CarPlay. That truck didn’t have wireless charging though either, so I had to plug in if I needed a charge. If my phone didn’t need a charge or I didn’t need Google Maps (which is most often), I wasn’t plugged in.

I could, however, still receive texts via Bluetooth when I wasn’t plugged in. I could also obviously use the phone & stream media, all while not plugged in.

To each their own but I feel the need to plug in a phone strictly to receive texts, is dumb. Especially when all the other features can be done wirelessly.

Like you said, plugging in is not hard to do, but it’s a step that’s unnecessary with today’s wireless technology.

So I called today from my truck was talking to someone for about 15 minutes, going g through some things with the bluetooth ,deleting it,pairing it again .... 

So she finally says...oh ur truck isn't capable of receiving texts if ur not in the android auto screen . 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, bamorris2 said:

Has anyone had very recent success in getting the folks at that exec department to add the Messages app back to their vehicle? I emailed them, they called me today and told me it was not possible.

Got the same.

Even tried to escalate past them and no go.  They won't do it.  Seems so silly.  I have a near $70K truck and I can't get a feature that comes standard on tons of other $20K vehicles.

2 hours ago, JAshworth03 said:

Got the same.

Even tried to escalate past them and no go.  They won't do it.  Seems so silly.  I have a near $70K truck and I can't get a feature that comes standard on tons of other $20K vehicles.

I got the same as well. They offered me 3 months of on star data for the inconvenience. Said they would get back to me after approval. Still havent heard back after 2 weeks. Lol

Edited by 19Sierra

My Truck [HC w/ IOT 8" unit] built 8/18 had the Messaging App pre-installed. Thru software upgrades and some GM/Onstar juggling, the App disappeared several times and had to be loaded by the GM Dept responsible for such things. Feb 2019 comes along and GM claims the App will no longer be supported on the trucks because Android Auto along with the phone should suffice. So when the App was removed once again, I got in touch with the Exec Care Dept. which let me know that the trucks that had the App pre-installed could have it reloaded if it happened to fly into the bit bucket. Trucks built after Feb 2019 would not be permitted the same allowance. But as history and past practices have demonstrated, there have been trucks after Feb 2019 that have received the App. So either GM has finally said no more or they kinda just do it here and there.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, DrewN209 said:

Here’s the message I sent FYI:  

Hello. 

I recently purchased a 2019 GMC Sierra SLT Premium Plus and traded in a 2017 Ford F150.

I am surprised and disappointed that the one feature of my Ford I used the most, the messaging app, is not included on my new GMC.
I relied heavily on this app as I communicate with my employees and family via text while traveling. Having my incoming texts read aloud and the ability to respond by voice was the one feature I used the most.

I'm writing this email to request it be added back to my truck.

My VIN is ###

I know this can be done as numerous people on gm-trucks.com forum have been discussing how they have successfully had the app added back once requested. I understand I can use a tethered solution, such as CarPlay, however that does not work for me as I’m constantly in and out of my vehicle and can not accommodate the constant tether and untether. 

Thanks in advance and I look forward to my request being fulfilled and utilizing this excellent and safe feature. 

Much appreciated. 

Who do you send the email too. I also came from a 17 F150 and was surprised as heck that the newer truck did not have this option.