Liftgate wont open when cold

I have a new 2019 Suburban and when it below 20 degrees the lift gate won’t open. I know that there is a “lockout” around 4 degrees F to prevent motor damage but this thing won’t open when it’s 20 degrees. My last Sub also had this “feature” but at least it would work if the interior was warm and if all else failed you could just pull the door up. I can’t seem to open this door manually when this happens. That puts me out of a tailgate for basically the entire winter as I live in MN and 20 is warm. Can this temp set point be altered somehow? Any suggestions? Thanks. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 5:18 PM, cjpwalleye said:

I have a new 2019 Suburban and when it below 20 degrees the lift gate won’t open....I can’t seem to open this door manually when this happens.

If the liftgate does not open because of cold weather, the manual says to "select OFF on the liftgate switch".

• 1 year later...

There may be more going on than cold weather, my manual does not give a temp and it does say the word 'may'  I would check the Liftgate module with a scan tool and see if there are any issues in there. No codes would be appearing on the dash. I live in Canada which regularly gets below 0 F, and i have never had any issues using the power lift gate. Sometimes I would have a problem with the sensor for your foot when the ice gets under there. The fob usually takes care of the opening. It may be different as i have the 17 Suburban with Premier Trim level so they may have made changes in the 18 and up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@cjpwalleye @SUB2018 Did you get any resolution on this issue?  Our 2017 just started doing the same thing, if its 25 degrees outside, we are not able to open the tailgate.  Turning on or off the power liftgate feature does not change it.  In a heated garage it works fine.  Very frustrating, i can't seem to find any info on this problem.

GM has a Service Notice - If it get to cold , turn power off , and lift tail gate manualy, Make sure you hold it up, so it wont drop on your head.  This was on my 2008 tahoe . 

On 12/23/2022 at 11:40 PM, MoreNorth said:

@cjpwalleye @SUB2018 Did you get any resolution on this issue?  Our 2017 just started doing the same thing, if its 25 degrees outside, we are not able to open the tailgate.  Turning on or off the power liftgate feature does not change it.  In a heated garage it works fine.  Very frustrating, i can't seem to find any info on this problem.

Old thread but clearly still a problem. I have a 2017 Tahoe and experiencing this is SC with the unusually cold weather. Console switch in off position, lift gate will unlock but will only lift a few inches manually before resistance is felt. Initially noticed at about 9°F and worked normally earlier/warmer in the day. Over freezing today so will try and see if it is resolved and will let you know. Curious if putting it in manual before the freeze would have helped. Any advise form colder regions to help a frosty southerner would be greatly appreciated 😊

23 hours ago, PeteTM2 said:

Old thread but clearly still a problem. I have a 2017 Tahoe and experiencing this is SC with the unusually cold weather. Console switch in off position, lift gate will unlock but will only lift a few inches manually before resistance is felt. Initially noticed at about 9°F and worked normally earlier/warmer in the day. Over freezing today so will try and see if it is resolved and will let you know. Curious if putting it in manual before the freeze would have helped. Any advise form colder regions to help a frosty southerner would be greatly appreciated 😊

Turning the switch off before it gets to freezing does not change the problem.  Our 2017 Yukon XL has the issue as you describe above, and the console switch makes no difference whatsoever.  For us, last year it worked fine, even down to about -5 F, this year, 28 F and it doesn't work, have to stuff the Yukon in the garage and let it warm up.  Since we can't open it manually, which would be fine, its really hard dropping the kids off at the ski hill right now.

Any guidance would certainly be appreciated before I start swapping out parts randomly

Yea that blows. There must be a work around for this “feature.” You’d think there would be an alert or a light when the computer is stopping the lift gate from working. At least then you would know if it’s broken or just temporarily disabled. Dash tells me that there may be ice on the road but not that I can’t use the lift gate… Ours has worked fine now that we’re above freezing but would love to know to know if there’s a fix. Thanks for the reply.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

2020 Yukon purchased used @120k miles. At 125k temperatures hit a low of 19 overnight for two nights in a row.

After the second night lift gate would unlatch and latch but not raise.

after researching and about giving up and taking it to the dealer, miraculously started working again after parking in the sun where temperatures approached 40 around noon.

changing the dial in the headliner had no effect. Temperatures are normally not that cold so I’m assuming it was temperature related.

Not good for those in colder climates, However I found no YouTube videos or forums that provided any other answers except to attribute the problem to weather conditions.

GM is no help when google is used to find answers. I’ll assume this is the least of GM’s concerns considering all the other problems associated with this make model year

1 hour ago, BryanMSmith said:

2020 Yukon purchased used @120k miles. At 125k temperatures hit a low of 19 overnight for two nights in a row.

After the second night lift gate would unlatch and latch but not raise.

after researching and about giving up and taking it to the dealer, miraculously started working again after parking in the sun where temperatures approached 40 around noon.

changing the dial in the headliner had no effect. Temperatures are normally not that cold so I’m assuming it was temperature related.

Not good for those in colder climates, However I found no YouTube videos or forums that provided any other answers except to attribute the problem to weather conditions.

GM is no help when google is used to find answers. I’ll assume this is the least of GM’s concerns considering all the other problems associated with this make model year

Had the same issue on a 2017 Tahoe, my initial reply to this post is above in Dec of 22. Once the weather warmed up it was no issue… Until they failed to actuate at all in June of 23 even with warm weather. This could be an indicator that the actuator is beginning to fail, at least it was for me. Bought a pair on Amazon for $90 (yes both). Easy install and have not had any issues even in the very cold weather this year. Hope this helps. Amazon description below, YMMV.

Dasbecan Liftgate Actuator Compatible with 2015-2020 Chevy Tahoe Suburban GMC Yukon XL/2015-2019 Cadillac Escalade ESV Tailgate Power Lift Support Shock Struts Replaces# 84306929 84183515 23408748”

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2022 Yukon with the same issue. I actually found that there becomes an ice/mud(from dust) build up at the top of the trunk opening. Once I cleared the ice and mud from around the electrical harness, it started working. Seems like a design flaw to me 

Edited by Colek