6112 vs 5100

I've decided I want to do a level on my 18 so I can easily go up slightly in tire size and get rid of most of the rake.  I have decided I don't want spring spacers and I want something I can return to stock if needed.  So, I've narrowed my choices to Bilstein 6112's or 5100's up front.  Either way I'll probably do 5100 rears.  So my question, are the 6112s worth the extra money?  If you have experience with both, I'd love to hear your opinion.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

I've decided I want to do a level on my 18 so I can easily go up slightly in tire size and get rid of most of the rake.  I have decided I don't want spring spacers and I want something I can return to stock if needed.  So, I've narrowed my choices to Bilstein 6112's or 5100's up front.  Either way I'll probably do 5100 rears.  So my question, are the 6112s worth the extra money?  If you have experience with both, I'd love to hear your opinion.  Thanks.

I dont have experience with both, just the 5100’s.

i’ve have done a lot of research though and listened to a lot of peoples reviews of both shocks on gm-trucks, and on non gm-trucks.

i think the 6112 is worth the money, but that depends on your goal

its like asking if a corvette grand sport is worth the money over a camaro ss 1le. Both have such incredible performance for the dollar that you can’t go wrong.

Huh, not sure which of those I'd pick either.  Mostly, I just don't want to spend extra for basically the same performance.  Sounds like there is a performance increase with the 6112.  They cost twice as much, so in your example they are twice as good.  That's a bigger difference than I would've expected.

12 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

Huh, not sure which of those I'd pick either.  Mostly, I just don't want to spend extra for basically the same performance.  Sounds like there is a performance increase with the 6112.  They cost twice as much, so in your example they are twice as good.  That's a bigger difference than I would've expected.

There is not much data available as not many people switch from 5100 to 6112.

that being said, there are plenty of very positive reviews on the 6112’s compared to much more expensive shocks.

Here’s a post from a toyota forum. It’s stuff like this I read. Read enough anecdotal reviews and you get the idea that the 6112’s are definitely better than the 5100’s. I mean the 6112’s are a 2.65” shock where as the 5100 and fox 2.0 are 2”  shocks.

“I run 6112's on my 4th gen and Icons on my 5th gen. Before the 6112's, I ran 5100's on my 4th gen for around 90k miles. The 5100's served me good initially but as I added weight to the 4runner and started adventuring on more difficult and/or fast trails the 5100's just couldn't keep up at all. In my opinion, the 6112's offer a better ride than the 5100's but also have much better control and won't fade out like the 5100's would. I'm now running 700# springs with the 6112's because I have a heavy steel bumper up front but they seem to handle it just fine. The only complaint I have about the 6112's is that they don't offer as much travel as the Icons or even the 5100's and when pushed real hard they seem to lose just a little bit of oil. The Icon's are on another level, especially when pushed hard. I've had them for over 100k miles (rebuilt once) and they never fade or blow through the travel when taking a big hit. I have the extended travel version and they do seem to offer more travel than the others I've ran in the past. I also like that I can fine-tune the ride and the height of them without taking them off the vehicle and there's a ton of adjustment in both directions. The only complaint (if that's what you would call it) is that I do feel every little bump/rock in the road due to them having bearings at the ends instead of rubber or poly bushings.”

• Like 1

the only thing that bothers me about the 6112 is that they dont offer them in the back

as someone that installed my 5100’s on my rear 3 months before I did my front, I can say just doing the rears made a pretty big difference, would say it was about equal to the effect of the front.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello just got got the 6112's installed in the front and the 5100 in the rear you wont be dissapointed the difference is instantly. I installed them at the highest level setting. Ill post a pic of the truck after so you guys can see. 

Where did you get yours and what did you pay if you don't mind me asking.  Just parts cost, I'm fully capable of installation.  Been shopping around a bit and I have been surprised at the few places that seem to have the right ones.