transfer case and front/rear diff oil change recommendations

Hey all, just did the service on the tranny a bit early, but three times over the rockies and back towing, thought it alright.

But I have not serviced these units, any sugggestions on oil type, tricks to do it easier etc...?

Thanks for all help. 

Sorry, 2016 2500 HD gaser ( 6.0)

The owners manual is an excellent source of information as to what fluids to use for the various parts of your vehicle.

I find using a small pump works well for filling them up, vs trying to use a tube or directly trying to squirt fluid in from a bottle or squeeze pack of oil.

Don't over-torque the plugs when you put them back in.

First of all I'm not an Amsoil , just a house wife that likes to save money. I started using Amsoil and did my husbands Colorado front and rear differentials and the transfer case with Amsoil. He took the truck across the country and back to the east coast. I changed the fluids way before the recommended intervals truck had only ( 30,000) or so on it. Cheap insurance. The most complicated thing was having to drop the spare to have plenty of room to work in the rear.  I've been using the squeeze packs, but I do have a pump. The squeeze packs work OK. Haven't tried the pump method yet.

• Like 2

I've used pumps for years.  Tried the squeeze packs from Amsoil on my daughter's Jeep Grand Cherokee recently.  I'm sold.  They were super easy compared to older methods.  I actually have all the oil in squeeze packs to do the 18 Silverado on hand now, but it will probably be spring before they are due.

I'm planning on doing my diffs and transfercase at 30k. Have 9.5k on truck now. The trans is an 8 speed so will try and get dealer to do it with the new fluid before the 5 year powertrain runs out.

8 hours ago, disc0monkey said:

Mobil 1 delvac. Summit has a gallon for a good price. No friction modifier per g80 spec

Eaton does specify adding some friction modifier, as it does have clutches that like it.  GM says not to, at least when using their fluid, which supposedly has some in it.

How much is enough? Is the fact that it’s synthetic enough? I’ve been using delco bottles and will continue. I can’t risk it. With the mystery around it, u might do more harm than good if u don’t get the fm right.

i can tell u this, Lucas full synthetic delayed the lock about 8ft out. I flushed and used delco and it locks right away again. This was over the course of 3 days going back and forth

Edited by disc0monkey

6 minutes ago, disc0monkey said:

How much is enough? Is the fact that it’s synthetic enough? I’ve been using delco bottles and will continue. I can’t risk it. With the mystery around it, u might do more harm than good if u don’t get the fm right.

i can tell u this, Lucas full synthetic delayed the lock about 8ft out. I flushed and used delco and it locks right away again. This was over the course of 3 days going back and forth

Well then, stick with GM's OEM fluid, or read up on what Eaton says to use for the G80.

Can u point me to it. I wouldn’t mind have an option beyond delco. I just went through this last week and it was pretty frustrating.  I tried calling Eaton last week and I couldn’t get anyone. I wasn’t happy pulling the $30 Lucas oil I just put in there lol

Edited by disc0monkey

What I have found out is that if you plan on using additives it's super important to find out if they are compatible with the fluid that is in that component and also that it is designed for the type of component you are putting it into. So if your manufacturer requires a very specific type of fluid you should use that fluid so as not to create a problem. I would go back to what was originally in there and see what happens? Or maybe your issue is not the fluid at all.  If the fluid was ultra dirty before you changed it, it might have been creating some friction that helped shifting? now that it's super clean is it slipping?

On 12/12/2019 at 7:26 PM, GrandChien14 said:

Hey any recommendations on when to do this, towed a 4000 pound trailer over the rockies three times, figure to get er dun. What type of oil to use,

for diff and transfer case, and any tricks or tips to the DIY er?

Cheers, m

If you are looking for AMSOIL products your truck takes the AMSOIL ATL for the transfer case and the Severe Gear 75w-90 fluid for the differentials. 

I change out my fluids early at or before 10k on new vehicles and then go 100k on the next change out.  I had just did my 2002 diff's with 100k on the fluid an it came back good, same thing on the Transmission fluid.  I didn't do an analysis on the t-case fluid.

The squeeze packs to me are great.  Way easier than a pump and less mess to have to clean up.  You can even put a hose on the end of the squeeze pack if you want to make reaching the fill hole easier.

If you want a quote PM me your address.

Also if you want to see what all is listed for your vehicle you and use this look up guide.

• Like 1