Getting stuck in Park?

FknLeon

Hey folks,

I have a 2020 1500 AT4. When I park my truck I always put the truck in Park, set the electronic parking break, fold the mirrors and shut the truck off. Constantly when I press the break in, turn the truck on and release the parking break, the truck just won't budge and come out of park to go into drive. I have to shut the truck off multiple times sometimes and I fiddle with the electronic parking break on and off multiple times and finally after some miracle I can shift into drive. What the hell am I doing wrong and how do I stop this from happening. 

49 minutes ago, FknLeon said:

Hey folks,

I have a 2020 1500 AT4. When I park my truck I always put the truck in Park, set the electronic parking break, fold the mirrors and shut the truck off. Constantly when I press the break in, turn the truck on and release the parking break, the truck just won't budge and come out of park to go into drive. I have to shut the truck off multiple times sometimes and I fiddle with the electronic parking break on and off multiple times and finally after some miracle I can shift into drive. What the hell am I doing wrong and how do I stop this from happening. 

I have had this happen to me in my AT4 several times as well. The only fix that I have found is turn the truck off and on again. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why it gets stuck in Park. This happened to me today.

55 minutes ago, M R Trucks said:

I have had this happen to me in my AT4 several times as well. The only fix that I have found is turn the truck off and on again. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why it gets stuck in Park. This happened to me today.

So I read the manual previously and just reread it. I think the issue is with the torque lock. Despite not parking on a hill, the AT4 1500 does move quite a bit when the parking break is released with the vehicle in Park. So the manual states: 

1. Find place to park.

2. Hold brake pedal at parking destination

3. Set Electronic Parking Break

4. Shift truck from drive into park

5. Turn off truck.

I've been always setting the truck into Park with my foot on the break then setting the parking break....whoops

CdFACSt.png

Edited by FknLeon

41 minutes ago, FknLeon said:

So I read the manual previously and just reread it. I think the issue is with the torque lock. Despite not parking on a hill, the AT4 1500 does move quite a bit when the parking break is released with the vehicle in Park. So the manual states: 

1. Find place to park.

2. Hold brake pedal at parking destination

3. Set Electronic Parking Break

4. Shift truck from drive into park

5. Turn off truck.

I've been always setting the truck into Park with my foot on the break then setting the parking break....whoops

I usually don't use the parking brake unless on a slope.

When I do use it I do an additional step.

1 - foot on service brake

2 -transmission to neutral

3 -set parking brake

4 -release service brake so vehicle will 'roll' against parking brake

5 - foot on service brake and shift into park 

IMO, 2 and 3 can be done in either order. 

Releasing the service brake with the trans in neutral to roll against the parking brake is the key.

This get's it in park without putting pressure on the park system in the transmission (prevents torque lock), since vehicle is being held by parking brake. 

When departing, move transmission out of park before releasing the parking brake.

• Like 3

Questionable idea not using the parking brake on level ground. So if someone taps the bumper a little too hard when parked a good chance of breaking the parking pawl in the transmission, then it's big bucks to repair.

And when parking on a slope the first step should always be front wheels cut toward a curb if facing downhill and toward the street if facing uphill.....then the parking brake, foot off the service brake in Neutral and then shift to Park.

• Like 1

So today I parked in a store lot. No incline and I didn’t set the parking brake (never do) Came out started truck put it in drive truck didn’t move look down and the parking brake light was flashing about 2-3 seconds later turned off and the truck started to move. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you checked your brake lights? Some vehicles won’t shift out of park properly if a brake light is out. It’s the manufacturer’s way of letting you know a light is out. 

I was in drive but it wasnt going anywhere

On 12/17/2019 at 6:26 PM, FknLeon said:

Hey folks,

Not heard of this yet. Good thing it's a lease huh? ?

3 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

So today I parked in a store lot. No incline and I didn’t set the parking brake (never do) Came out started truck put it in drive truck didn’t move look down and the parking brake light was flashing about 2-3 seconds later turned off and the truck started to move. emoji848.png

It is said the parking break will apply automatically sometimes. Actually the other day. I was looking in the bed of my truck. I opened the tailgate and it shook the truck just a bit. The parking break applied itself just after that. Maybe the truck thought I was hooking up a trailer?

5 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

So today I parked in a store lot. No incline and I didn’t set the parking brake (never do) Came out started truck put it in drive truck didn’t move look down and the parking brake light was flashing about 2-3 seconds later turned off and the truck started to move. emoji848.png

Yep mine sets itself from time to time too. You can either turn it off with the button or just apply gas. It will release the brake automatically. I don't like doing the second. Just doesn't sound like that would be good for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

So this problem is still happening and just yesterday my assistant chief whom bought his SLT after I got my AT4 is reporting the same issue. It has nothing to do with the parking break and dealerships can not find the issue.

So this problem is still happening and just yesterday my assistant chief whom bought his SLT after I got my AT4 is reporting the same issue. It has nothing to do with the parking break and dealerships can not find the issue.

Mine was 100% the parking brake it was engaged

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro