"Brake system failure" "Service ESC" LEMON?

FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE NHTSA (National Highway traffic safety administration). Gm will deny that this is a problem and tell you they don’t have any bulletins with this issue even though a quick google search will pull up pages on pages of this exact problem. They tried to tell me my service esc light and service parking brake light came on due to “old pandemic gas”. Very creative I guess and worth a chuckle but cmon. Got nowhere on the phone with gm aside from complete denial of any problems similar to mine. Please everyone who has an issue like this contact the NHTSA and file a complaint with them and maybe they will be forced to address this issue. 

Service ESC and Parking Brake error on my 2020 TB started Friday.  Drove to work with no issues.  Started up to drive home and I kept hearing a "Ping" noise like hail hitting my roof.

Then I thought my transmission was going out while driving.  It is almost like it is firing out of order.  
If I drive in Manual, it is much better but it will still do it while idling.

Waiting for the dealership to call me to get it in.  

Did Onstar ever give anybody any information worth having?

• 2 weeks later...

Diagnosis is: Misfire in cylinder 4 plus issue with the heads.  Solution is: GM will decide if the entire engine is replaced or if the heads will be replaced.  Or, possibly replace the vehicle.

My issue is, when this kind of work is completed on a truck, nobody wants it.  I will never have value in it.

How do I push to have the vehicle replaced?  

Edited by Cantrell

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 2019 Silverado work truck 4x4 here. 10,000 miles. Original owner.  No onstar installed, no app, no push button start.  Old school with keys here.  

all recalls are up to date as of 3 months ago.  Never had any braking issues.  The aforementioned brake firmware update was completed on my truck over a year ago during routine maintenance at the dealership. 

fast forward till today…

I got in the truck this morning, put the keys in the ignition and turned it to accessory mode and let all the computers and dials do there thing before I engaged the starter.  I was INSTANTLY greeted with the following

1.  Brake system failure, 43mph top speed

2. Service trailer brake system

3.  Service brake assist

4. Service ESC

5. Check engine light

6. Brake light

7. Traction control light

I hooked my scanner up and got codes P25A2 and C05B0.

In fact, I hadn’t even started the truck. I put my keys in the ignition, and turned it to “accessory on“. All these warnings lit up on the DIC. Tried to restart multiple times, even disconnected the negative battery post for 10 minutes and tried again. The code stayed. I did not clear the codes with my scanner because I wanted the dealer to see them. Tried to drive it. Braking power is definitely diminished by 50%. Spongy and to the floor. 

battery voltage is good at 12.75, alternator working showing 14 volts.  No sign of current drain overnight. Did not do a battery load test. Looked under the truck and checked all brake parts and lines, with no sign of obvious issue.  No brake fluid found anywhere under truck, and brake reservoir was full.  

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning. Just curious if anybody else has found any resolution to this. 

All my recalls are up-to-date.

just kind of hard to believe it would be a software issue when I’ve driven over a year on the firmware update with no problem. 

only thing I can think of is that I park on a hill and use the electronic parking brake when I leave the truck overnight. Maybe I put it on a little late or left my foot off the break before engaged in the brake sensor saw motion after the truck was shut off? Maybe bad motion sensor in the brake caliper?. Just thinking out loud here. Or maybe the software finally came to bite me in the butt about a year later? Not quite sure

any suggestions or insight? BTW, i know this is an old thread.  But it fits my problem and I felt like this belonged here. 

9BBC2CEC-AB0C-45EE-81E7-287047F51D5E.jpeg

3339C5DF-8032-4EC6-B040-705AA961B062.jpeg

25F8972E-8C68-4768-B1F7-A6B165648C76.jpeg

A80B4493-E5B2-4D0F-86DD-BE315DACDC41.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Cantrell said:

I called today.  Still waiting on parts.  Today is 1 month from when I had to park it due to the issues.

What parts?  I thought you said you wanted replacement or buy back?  🤔

I don't think I get a word in the matter.  They had already ordered the parts before I knew it.  The dealership was not very communicative with me.  I have had to call and get an update every time.

I didn't get a full parts list from them yet either.  It was "lifter, coil, some bolts and push rod.  Things like that".

I am not sure who I was talking to even know what they were saying.

Edited by Cantrell

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the call from the dealership.  My truck is ready.  I stopped by there the other day and spoke to the technician.  He had them order parts for all cylinders so the top of the engine was completely tore down while I was there.

GM suggested that I test drive the truck with the technician so I could point out anything that I thought was not normal.

I also spoke to GM about lemon law and options.  They said they were working on rebuilding trust in GM vehicles and were willing to discuss reimbursement option if I decided not to follow the lemon law route.

If all is well and accepted, it will have been at the dealership for 38 days.

As far as getting another truck, from talking to technicians and GM, 2022 "might" have it corrected.  So, I think it is best to wait.

I drove my truck about 300 miles over the weekend with no issues.

My issues are still valid for Lemon Law but I can't decide if I want to do that since any used truck is way over priced right now and new trucks a really slim.

On 7/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, Cantrell said:

I just got the call from the dealership.  My truck is ready.  I stopped by there the other day and spoke to the technician.  He had them order parts for all cylinders so the top of the engine was completely tore down while I was there.

GM suggested that I test drive the truck with the technician so I could point out anything that I thought was not normal.

I also spoke to GM about lemon law and options.  They said they were working on rebuilding trust in GM vehicles and were willing to discuss reimbursement option if I decided not to follow the lemon law route.

If all is well and accepted, it will have been at the dealership for 38 days.

As far as getting another truck, from talking to technicians and GM, 2022 "might" have it corrected.  So, I think it is best to wait.

Just to save you some time and headache, I have already been down this road with GM.  After weeks of emails back and forth with GM corporate… they basically said… we can contact a GM dealer of your choosing to work on buying back the vehicle.”  This sounds good at first, but basically all you’re doing is walking into the dealership and trading your truck in for whatever they offer. There’s no special incentive, no guaranteed cash offer, all big corporate GM is doing is just setting you up with an appointment and turning their heads. they’re just making it sound like on paper they are “helping“ or “buying back“ your truck.  They aren’t.  I pretty much told them, “no thanks.“ I can go to Carmax and do the same thing without months of emails to GM corporate. Either way, I’m gonna lose $$$.  I feel like the only way to get anything done through GM is if a lawyer contacts them on your behalf. Even then, who knows. 

• 4 months later...

2021 Silverado, less than six month old , lost brakes driving down a steep, windey, icy mtn road  with the "brake system failure", warning but I see there is a recall for this?  Say's its a software issue?

General Motors is issuing a recall for certain Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 light-duty trucks because a software update may cause the failure of their electronic brake assist system.

Edited by Kath
I see there is a recall for this?

• 2 months later...

Own a 2019 GMC AT4 32K Miles.  Same messages -- Service ESC Brake system failure top speed 43 mph, steering assistance reduced and trailer brake system service. Had vehicle towed. Been at dealership 24 days.  Reprogrammed computer at first and my employee went to pick up for me.  After a few blocks the same messages appeared, brakes pressed to the floor and no power steering. He safely got it back to dealer.  Now they have replaced master cylinder, brake control module, and now are replacing all the brake lines.  Not sure what I should do.  Feel unsafe driving my family in this. This is a serious safety issue for everyone on the roads, not just us driving them.

• 7 months later...

My recently purchased truck is in the dealer shop for the same thing.  2 times in one month and General Motors claims they haven’t heard of the issue I’m having. Yet I’ve found it common on the internet. Basically if they can’t recreate the issue there is no issue. I’ve had the truck 2 months only driven it 2 weeks.