"Brake system failure" "Service ESC" LEMON?

Just picked up the truck after the latest upgrade. They called me at home and had me start it from the app a couple of times, checked some readings, then do it again. They say the new upgrade seems not to be throwing any codes after using the app and all seems fine. I drove it around for 20 minutes or so after getting it back and had no issues. So, we'll see.....

17 minutes ago, mistaare said:

Curious how many people had brake issues WITHOUT getting the initial brake recall AND/OR without starting the truck with the GM App. 

just out of the blue. 

Did the Brake Recall and had it happen once so far without starting the truck with the GM App.  I was in Accessory mode for about 10-15 mins, music playing and when I went to start the truck from inside, I got the Service Brake messages again.  Brought it in and dealer reset and charged my battery.  So now, no GM App starting and no Accessory mode for me. 

6 hours ago, mistaare said:

Curious how many people had brake issues WITHOUT getting the initial brake recall AND/OR without starting the truck with the GM App. 

just out of the blue. 

There were around 60 owners that experienced Brake Loss prior to Dec 2019 on this Forum.

Folks-  Just some words of advice for those of you who are going thru this but have not yet visited your dealership.  9 times out of 10 your dealership is not going to have any clue about this issue and that there is a new supposed fix/TSB for it.  Don't go in assuming they know all about this issue and simply tell them "well how can you not know, this is a huge issue!"  It is only a huge issue on here because this is where everyone comes to complain and look into the issue.  Go with a print out of the TSB in hand, tell them you'd appreciate if they would have a look at this as it is brand new fresh off of the presses.  Believe it or not, the service departments don't get some big "flash!!  Breaking news!" message when a TSB is released.  Why?  Because there are a lot of them released for every vehicle out there.  Now a days, it's usually up to the technician to check for TSBs when diagnosing an issue.  And there are plenty of dealerships out there who won't see an issue like this come in every day of the week.  It has been my experience on here that we end up being the ones educating the service advisors about issues/TSBs they otherwise have never encountered.  Saw it a lot with the chevy shake issue on the previous gen.  Try approaching it in this manner.  "Hi Mr./Ms Service Advisor-  I'm dealing with an issue that has turned out to be quite common on my favorite online message forum where myself and many others from around the country are experiencing this issue, and several have just had this TSB performed which seems to have solved the problem for them.  I'd appreciate it if you would look this over and pass it along to your tech, and perhaps share the info with your fellow service advisors and managers, and other technicians as a heads up to them, as I bet i won't be the first one in with this issue after this." 

If you go in with a nice friendly yet firm attitude, explaining how frustrated you are, and how you really would appreciate any help they can give you, you'll score more points with them.  It's the customers who act like total dicks and "demand" this or that and raise their voices and try to make a big scene and try to embarrass the service advisors/managers in front of other customers that will be the most likely to be treated like shit in return.  SO WHAT if you are angry and pissed off?  That doesn't give you the right to act like a dumb ass and treat others like shit.  You don't get any guarantees in life, folks.  No matter how much of your "hard earned" money you spend on something.  It's still a gamble.  Be nice, be polite, be professional. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, nodak_guy said:

So as of this Friday it will have been a month that i don't have my brand new at4, does this seem ridiculous to anybody else out there?? anybody experiencing a similar issue???

Just a month? You're doing well... I have a 2020 2500HD High Country that I have owned since Mid October. Out of the 13 weeks I have "owned" it, 10 weeks it has spent at the dealership! I have an open case with GM and they are trying to find the parts needed. But thus far I've had a brake control module replaced, ECM replaced, and rear wheel sensor. All to fix the ESC warning, Check Engine warnings. I think the speed sensor finally fixed that issue, next thing you know, I have it for a week and I get an error stating there's an issue with the trailer brake not being connected. That turned out to be the wheel sensor again! Parts are currently on back-order with no ETA. I talked to an attorney about the whole Lemon Law here in Texas and because the have given me a loaner during the period it has been in the shop, Texas law doesn't consider it ever 'out of service', thus I'm not eligible for this to be a Lemon. The dealership is trying to take care of me, but really I feel GM is letting me (and sounds like others) down here. 

8 hours ago, Colossus said:

Folks-  Just some words of advice for those of you who are going thru this but have not yet visited your dealership.  9 times out of 10 your dealership is not going to have any clue about this issue and that there is a new supposed fix/TSB for it.  Don't go in assuming they know all about this issue and simply tell them "well how can you not know, this is a huge issue!"  It is only a huge issue on here because this is where everyone comes to complain and look into the issue.  Go with a print out of the TSB in hand, tell them you'd appreciate if they would have a look at this as it is brand new fresh off of the presses.  Believe it or not, the service departments don't get some big "flash!!  Breaking news!" message when a TSB is released.  Why?  Because there are a lot of them released for every vehicle out there.  Now a days, it's usually up to the technician to check for TSBs when diagnosing an issue.  And there are plenty of dealerships out there who won't see an issue like this come in every day of the week.  It has been my experience on here that we end up being the ones educating the service advisors about issues/TSBs they otherwise have never encountered.  Saw it a lot with the chevy shake issue on the previous gen.  Try approaching it in this manner.  "Hi Mr./Ms Service Advisor-  I'm dealing with an issue that has turned out to be quite common on my favorite online message forum where myself and many others from around the country are experiencing this issue, and several have just had this TSB performed which seems to have solved the problem for them.  I'd appreciate it if you would look this over and pass it along to your tech, and perhaps share the info with your fellow service advisors and managers, and other technicians as a heads up to them, as I bet i won't be the first one in with this issue after this." 

If you go in with a nice friendly yet firm attitude, explaining how frustrated you are, and how you really would appreciate any help they can give you, you'll score more points with them.  It's the customers who act like total dicks and "demand" this or that and raise their voices and try to make a big scene and try to embarrass the service advisors/managers in front of other customers that will be the most likely to be treated like shit in return.  SO WHAT if you are angry and pissed off?  That doesn't give you the right to act like a dumb ass and treat others like shit.  You don't get any guarantees in life, folks.  No matter how much of your "hard earned" money you spend on something.  It's still a gamble.  Be nice, be polite, be professional. 

I went in nice and calm... Even called ahead to let them know I was headed their way with the towed truck.. they couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. (called up the main dealer number) she told me that service will be gone but sales can help.  

That was such a bad experience, I was expecting someone to at least ask me what was going on and give me direction.  I got pissed off because of their rudeness and utter blindness to see us in front of the glass wall. I always treat with respect and man that was not what I was expecting. 

Luckily they got it squared up the next day. 

But you are correct, they really do not know what is going on until they hear it from the end customer.

Edited by Fermy

22 hours ago, DenaliDonkey said:

Has anyone had this most recent upgrade done yet?

I had the update done yesterday.  After a day of driving and multiple auto-starts with app and fob: All is well (so far).   I was in a loaner for a week and it’s nice to be back in my truck.  This software build initially appears pretty stable.

1 minute ago, wacko said:

I had the update done yesterday.  After a day of driving and multiple auto-starts with app and fob: All is well (so far).   I was in a loaner for a week and it’s nice to be back in my truck.  This software build initially appears pretty stable.

Same here. Over the last 24 hours I've used the app a ton just to test everything out as much as possible. No codes, no lights, working brakes. Cautiously optimistic. 

14 hours ago, Colossus said:

Good advice!  I was actually thanked by the Service Coordinator for being very understanding and not yelling at him.  I did make it very clear however that I was not happy with having to bring my brand-new truck in twice now for check engine lights, and system failure warnings.  He was understanding also.  So far I have not had any more issues, but I have not been using the APP at all.  I will wait a bit and see how everyone on here fares with the new update before I go back.

This happened to me today.
First time. After remote start.
Using MyChevrolet App on iPhone 8

ios 10
recall work done in  Dec
at routine oil change. 

four messages:

Service ESC

Service Trailer Brake

Brake System Failure - 62 MPH Top Speed

Steering Assist Reduced Drive with care

Lights on dash that were illuminated