"Brake system failure" "Service ESC" LEMON?

2019 6.2 Silverado. I've had service ESC once while chugging through deep snow. Cleared when I restarted. I've never taken my vehicle back to dealer since new so no reflashes. 19k miles. One thing that has happened 4 times is while making a right turn the transmission disengages then slams violently back into gear. So bad it feels like someone hit me. I have called  the dealer immediately each time and they logged on my record. It happened yesterday for the first time sine June. 

Edited by Minnvmax
Typo

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2020 at 8:15 PM, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

According to the recall information sheet. 2020s are not a part of the brake system recall as the programming was changed before or during production. I do not have the brake system recall on my 20. Only the seatbelt and alternator cable.

I had the brake system recall the day after I took delivery 2/17/2020. A few days later lots of things went wrong including dead battery. After another trip to dealer still having some problems including the P25A2 code.

Has everyone with these issues installed OnStar? Never trusted any of the apps in the first place and after reading the terms and conditions I decided against installing them. Granted, I don't get to use all of the services my truck has to offer but Remote start works just fine from the key fob and I have not had any issues with the brake system or steering.

User Terms section 27.5 

GM DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES WILL OPERATE PROPERLY ON YOUR EQUIPMENT AND YOU AND ONLY YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL REPAIRS TO YOUR EQUIPMENT AND ANY OTHER LOSSES ACTUALLY OR ALLEGEDLY CAUSED BY THE SERVICES.

Section 27 in full :

NO WARRANTY BY GM OR WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS.

27.1 GM AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS, CONDITIONS OR WARRANTIES IN RESPECT OF THE SERVICES. THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" INCLUDING WITH ALL FAULTS AND ERRORS AS MAY OCCUR THEREIN. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW AND UNLESS PROHIBITED BY LAW, GM, ON BEHALF OF ITSELF AND ALL PERSONS AND PARTIES ACTING BY, THROUGH OR FOR GM AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS, EXPLICITLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR COLLATERAL, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, ACCURACY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE IN RESPECT OF THE SERVICES.

27.2 TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, GM DOES NOT WARRANT THE OPERATION, PERFORMANCE, OR AVAILABILITY OF THE SERVICES, OR ANY OF GM'S PERFORMANCE OR PROCEDURES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES OR THIS AGREEMENT. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, GM DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES WILL CONTINUE IN EXISTENCE FOR ANY PERIOD OF TIME AND DOES NOT WARRANT THAT FUTURE OPERATION OF THE SERVICES WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT OPERATION OR APPLICATIONS.

27.3 TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, GM DOES NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY CONDITIONS OR REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE SUITABILITY, AVAILABILITY, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, COMPLETENESS, OR TIMELINESS OF ANY DATA OR MATERIAL OF ANY KIND CONTAINED WITHIN THE SERVICES FOR ANY PURPOSE. GM AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE FREE FROM LOSS, INTERRUPTION, CORRUPTION, ATTACK, VIRUSES, INTERFERENCE, HACKING OR OTHER SECURITY INTRUSION, AND GM AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY RELATING THERETO. GM AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS DO NOT PROVIDE ANY WARRANTY AS TO THE AVAILABILITY OF THE SERVICES OR THAT THE SERVICES WILL OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION OR BE ERROR FREE.

27.4 TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, GM AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FAILURES CAUSED BY SERVER ERRORS, MISDIRECTED OR REDIRECTED TRANSMISSIONS, FAILED INTERNET CONNECTIONS, INTERRUPTIONS OR FAILURES IN THE TRANSMISSION OF DATA, ANY COMPUTER VIRUS, ACTS OR OMISSIONS OF THIRD PARTIES THAT DAMAGE THE NETWORK OR IMPAIR WIRELESS SERVICE, DAMAGE OR INJURY CAUSED BY A FAILURE OR DELAY IN CONNECTING A CALL TO ANY ENTITY, INCLUDING 911, OR ANY OTHER EMERGENCY SERVICE, OR OTHER TECHNICAL DEFECT, WHETHER HUMAN OR TECHNICAL IN NATURE.

27.5 GM DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES WILL OPERATE PROPERLY ON YOUR EQUIPMENT AND YOU AND ONLY YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL REPAIRS TO YOUR EQUIPMENT AND ANY OTHER LOSSES ACTUALLY OR ALLEGEDLY CAUSED BY THE SERVICES.

27.6 SOME JURISDICTIONS LIMIT OR DO NOT ALLOW THE DISCLAIMER OF IMPLIED OR OTHER WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS MAY NOT APPLY TO THE EXTENT SUCH JURISDICTIONS' LAW IS APPLICABLE TO THIS AGREEMENT, IN WHICH CASE GM'S WARRANTIES SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

27.7 LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW AND UNLESS PROHIBITED BY LAW, (A) YOU, GM AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS WILL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT OR THE SERVICES FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR AMOUNTS FOR LOSS OF INCOME, PROFITS OR SAVINGS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT OR THE SERVICES, (B) GM AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS WILL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY ANY IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT OR THE SERVICES FOR (i) ANY ACTION OR INACTION OF THIRD PARTIES, (ii) ANY EVENTS BEYOND THE REASONABLE CONTROL OF GM OR THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS, (iii) ANY INJURIES TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, (iv) ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE INSTALLATION, REPAIR, UPDATES OR CHANGES TO SYSTEMS, SOFTWARE, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT PROVIDED BY GM OR THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS, (v) ANY CHANGE OR REDUCTION IN, OR ANY LOSS OF SERVICES CAUSED BY CHANGES IN SYSTEMS, SERVICES, OR INFRASTRUCTURE (SUCH AS THE WIRELESS SERVICE OR TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE) THAT ARE MADE AVAILABLE BY THIRD PARTIES, AND © GM WILL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY IN CONNECTION WITH ANY THIRD PARTY SERVICES. TO THE EXTENT THAT GM OR ANY WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDER ARE FOUND LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES, LIABILITIES OR EXPENSES IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT OR THE SERVICES, AND TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW AND UNLESS PROHIBITED BY LAW, YOU AGREE THAT GM'S AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDER'S MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY SHALL BE NO GREATER THAN $100.00. THESE LIMITS AND EXCLUSIONS APPLY EVEN IF GM AND THE WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF THE DAMAGES AND WHETHER ARISING BASED ON NEGLIGENCE, TORT, OR BREACH OF CONTRACT. THESE LIMITATIONS SURVIVE ANY TERMINATION OR EXPIRATION OF THE AGREEMENT, AND APPLY TO ANYONE USING THE SERVICES OR MAKING A CLAIM ON YOUR BEHALF.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

On 3/24/2020 at 1:26 PM, whitesierraRT said:

I had the brake system recall the day after I took delivery 2/17/2020. A few days later lots of things went wrong including dead battery. After another trip to dealer still having some problems including the P25A2 code.

At the time I made the post in January. The 20s were not included in the recall per the recall information sheet. I do not use the OS app as when it ended after the 1 month trial I deleted it all together off my phone. I've not had any problems yet.

• 3 weeks later...

2019 Silverado LTZ... Found this forum today.  3900 miles - and owned 13 weeks.  Six trips to the dealer for a variety of issues including brake system failure, leaking back window, cameras non functioning, lane assist failure... I saw someone state their truck is FUBAR which I haven't heard in years - but a perfect description.  Most recently brake system failure do not exceed 62 mph... dealer had it three days and the repair order says "couldn't duplicate the error code"   - translated means "the owner is crazy".. well after reading this forum - I can see there is someone crazy and it ain't ole Tim-o!.  FYI - I have never used the app for remote start - only the key fob occasionally.   I'll let you know if any further codes arise... thanks for helping me understand that this problem is more common than I imagined.

• Like 1

2019 Silverado LTZ... Found this forum today.  3900 miles - and owned 13 weeks.  Six trips to the dealer for a variety of issues including brake system failure, leaking back window, cameras non functioning, lane assist failure... I saw someone state their truck is FUBAR which I haven't heard in years - but a perfect description.  Most recently brake system failure do not exceed 62 mph... dealer had it three days and the repair order says "couldn't duplicate the error code"   - translated means "the owner is crazy".. well after reading this forum - I can see there is someone crazy and it ain't ole Tim-o!.  FYI - I have never used the app for remote start - only the key fob occasionally.   I'll let you know if any further codes arise... thanks for helping me understand that this problem is more common than I imagined.
Thanks for the info sounds like we are narrowing this down. Do you have the app but just never remote start from it? Do you have the OnStar services in your truck?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I've got a 19 SLT.  Having problems with  8speed Trans and now have had the ESC, Service Trailer Braking and some other 12 DCS codes being thrown.  I've never used onstar app to start.  Mine seems to always throw codes and issues on long hauls 300+miles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I do have OnStar. I have also had the "Service ESC" and "no brakes after 62mph" crap show up. Most recently battery dead and difficult to tow because it seemed to be locked into some kind of stupid safe mode.

Do folk recommend we jettison the OnStar on the vehicle?

• 1 month later...

Well hell. I had the service brake pop up today. I purchased my 2020 Silverado in late December 2019. I did not take Onstar.

I only have 4700 miles on it.

I used the remote start using the fob for the very first time this morning.

I used the truck once during lunch and when I restarted the engine I got all the warnings and the brakes were almost gone.

I made it home and called the dealer and made an appointment to take it in.

They said come right away and I did.

When I started it to go to the dealer the warnings were gone but I had  a check engine light on. I also had brakes.

It's at the dealer now so we'll see what happens.

Dang it! I love this truck too. I have the neat 2.7T engine and it is fantastic.

I'll update whenever.

• Sad 1

I just had this issue on a 2020 1500 Denali. I never used the APP, and the trial for Onstar  expired last night. 350 miles on truck, its been at the dealer most of the time since delivery, due to 5 bad valve springs. I have had it with this POS.

On 10/28/2020 at 4:47 PM, Grandpa1 said:

Well hell. I had the service brake pop up today. I purchased my 2020 Silverado in late December 2019. I did not take Onstar.

I only have 4700 miles on it.

I used the remote start using the fob for the very first time this morning.

I used the truck once during lunch and when I restarted the engine I got all the warnings and the brakes were almost gone.

I made it home and called the dealer and made an appointment to take it in.

They said come right away and I did.

When I started it to go to the dealer the warnings were gone but I had  a check engine light on. I also had brakes.

It's at the dealer now so we'll see what happens.

Dang it! I love this truck too. I have the neat 2.7T engine and it is fantastic.

I'll update whenever.

Got my truck back, They had it for 24 hours.

It looks like they did a software update and installed an engine wiring harness due to chafing..

I was told there were 3 recalls on my truck and I wanted to know why I wasn't contacted by GM. That ticks me off. It's their duty to inform owners about recalls. Especially when it involves BRAKES!

Anyway, I got it back so we will see what happens.

As I said before, I really love this truck. The little 4 banger 2.7T rocks!

• 4 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 7:53 AM, Lunar68 said:

I'm with both of you. No issues until the recall was done while getting an oil change on Friday. Now this morning on start up I get brake system failure, Service esc, service trailer brake system and check engine light and abs light. 

Where you able to figure out what caused this? My 2021 6.2 rst just had this happen after pouting aftermarket tiers on.

• 1 month later...

2019 GMC SLT,  15k miles.  Battery will go totally dead, replaced battery, no timeframe, sometimes after a couple of days, or after a couple of hours.  My scanner gives DTC of brake system control module.  Dealer takes info and sends to GMC with no idea how to fix issue.  Had to buy a lithium ion jump box to keep in truck as there is no warning about when the battery will go dead.