"Brake system failure" "Service ESC" LEMON?

Update: Truck is currently at the dealer. They gave me a loaner and stated they are replacing the brake control module... After reading the post on this website I'm not optimistic... Maryland Lemon Law states the manufacturer has 1 attempt at fixing braking or steering issues. It also states to send a certified letter after the first dealer attempt in order to expedite the process. Once my truck is returned I am sending the letter. These trucks are too expensive to worry if I can stop or not. Will update once returned. Hopefully I waste $6 on the certified mail and the truck is back to normal. I love this truck when it works! 

I have (sitting at the dealership) a 2020 GMC AT4 just got on 11/20/19, had to take it in on 12/13/19 as i got the ESC error code and check engine light that wouldn't go off, dealer called a week later and stated that GM told them to replace the brake module, so they get the module but apparently need to order new bolts to put it in as they cannot use the old ones, so another 2 weeks later they contact me and say all parts are in but they cannot get the module to communicate correctly with my computer system and there was a software update just released that day (1/3/20) and they need my truck for 5 more days and i might get my truck back this week. I also asked if they would get the battery cable recall issue addressed and he said they should. So as of this Friday it will have been a month that i don't have my brand new at4, does this seem ridiculous to anybody else out there?? anybody experiencing a similar issue???

Mercy.. my truck is going In for the first oil change on Thursday.  The dealer mentioned they will need it for a little while to take care of the 4 recalls.  

Reading this thread has me concerned now....

1 hour ago, Bigfoot16 said:

Mercy.. my truck is going In for the first oil change on Thursday.  The dealer mentioned they will need it for a little while to take care of the 4 recalls.  

Dont do the recalls! Tell them you want to wait until they sort out the issues with those updates.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigfoot16 said:

DO NOT DO THE RECALLS

• Like 1

Let me get this straight... 2019’s where having issues with brake failures. Then 2019’s and 2020’s noticed that brake failures where occurring AFTER the dealership performed the brake-reflash-recall when afterwards they started their trucks with Chevy/gmc APP. 

How many 2020’s are having brake problems prior to the reflash? 

Taking advice not to get the recalls, been waiting for a few weeks for them to get sorted out and they still can't get them right.  I've had such bad luck with this truck that I wouldn't be all that mad if the brakes failed and the truck found the nearest tree, personal injuries aside.

Edited by TBL569
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, mistaare said:

Let me get this straight... 2019’s where having issues with brake failures. Then 2019’s and 2020’s noticed that brake failures where occurring AFTER the dealership performed the brake-reflash-recall when afterwards they started their trucks with Chevy/gmc APP. 

I have seen 4 people with 2020 models that have suffered brake failures.

3 hours ago, Bigfoot16 said:

GM requires the recalls to be completed once that vehicle hits the doorstep [Unless you sign your options away, Thanks Ashley] . So if they do perform the work, tell them of your concerns and ensure they keep the battery charged and follow the Recall procedures in their entirety. Gm suspects the battery runs low during the process and that the tech does not complete the procedure fully. Test out all the safety features on your first drive and remote start the vehicle via the Chevy or GM App to see if the brake failure and lites come on. The Safety Features that normally do not work if something went wrong are the Intellibeam, Lane Keep Assist and Alert, Forward Collision Alert which requires the Front Windshield Camera to be placed in the Relearn Mode after programming.

Edited by Rocz3cqg

16 minutes ago, Rocz3cqg said:

GM requires the recalls to be completed once that vehicle hits the doorstep. So if they do perform the work, tell them of your concerns and ensure they keep the battery charged and follow the Recall procedures in their entirety. Gm suspects the battery runs low during the process and that the tech does not complete the procedure fully. Test out all the safety features on your first drive and remote start the vehicle via the Chevy or GM App to see if the brake failure and lites come on. The Safety Features that normally do not work if something went wrong are the Intellibeam, Lane Keep Assist and Alert, Forward Collision Alert which requires the Front Windshield Camera to be placed in the Relearn Mode after programming.

Do not think this is true, I have always been given the option and had to sign a paper if I declined. The brake recall is the first recall I've EVER done and boy do I regret it. 3 weeks now without my truck that before the recall had 7,300 problem free miles 

1 hour ago, mistaare said:

According to the recall information sheet. 2020s are not a part of the brake system recall as the programming was changed before or during production. I do not have the brake system recall on my 20. Only the seatbelt and alternator cable.

27 minutes ago, Ashley6462 said:

Do not think this is true, I have always been given the option and had to sign a paper if I declined. The brake recall is the first recall I've EVER done and boy do I regret it. 3 weeks now without my truck that before the recall had 7,300 problem free miles 

You are correct Ashley, I just forgot to mention the driver normally had to sign alleviating GM of responsibility.

• Like 1

This just happened to me tonight coming home from work with my 2019 LT All-Star. I started it with the app and came out to find the ESC warning, trailer brake failure warning, brake failure warning and the check engine light on. I moved the truck in the parking lot and had the squishy brakes and coasting stop. I parked it and restarted it and nothing changed. It wasn’t until I turned it off and got out and Locked it, then started it up again that everything went away except for the CEL. I had the recall done two weeks ago.  It’s going to the dealer Thursday morning. This truck has 540 miles on it. I’m beyond pissed!

1 hour ago, Dymondan said:

This just happened to me tonight coming home from work with my 2019 LT All-Star. I started it with the app and came out to find the ESC warning, trailer brake failure warning, brake failure warning and the check engine light on. I moved the truck in the parking lot and had the squishy brakes and coasting stop. I parked it and restarted it and nothing changed. It wasn’t until I turned it off and got out and Locked it, then started it up again that everything went away except for the CEL. I had the recall done two weeks ago.  It’s going to the dealer Thursday morning. This truck has 540 miles on it. I’m beyond pissed!

Truly think it's a software issue with remote start using both app and fob after recall was done. Both of my failure were after a fob start and an app start.

I just want GM confirmation on this before I go get my truck and deal without remote start until a software fix is out. Have a case opened with customer care suppose to get a call back tomorrow we shall see. I miss my truck