2014 5.3 Silverado excessive oil consumption

What does an oil blender mean when they say "75%" more protection?

(hint)

What point(s) of reference are they using for this claim?

Oh, you know better than that. It’s what’s in the pudding [emoji6]

Sent from Above

7 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Curious if you please. If fresh oil has a color value of 1 and the blackest oil you've ever drained from any motor is 10 what value would you give your oils color at 3K miles? Remember ARCO Graphite? Yea, that kind of black as a 10. 

To provide an answer 5.

Maybe 3,4 5, 6, 7.

Our new Honda (remember my post about buying my first new vehicle) has about 600 miles in it. 

The oil looks pretty dirty to me.

Will do an oil and filter at 1000 miles. Castrol Edge 0W20. Wix 57356 filter.

Lets not start a debate about how soon to change the oil in a new vehicle.

:)

• Like 2

To each their own, getting someone to understand one way or the other is pointless, never gonna get it. Let’s just hope for best of luck with these engines, there’s one thing I’ve learned in life is even my six figure motors may be far superior in build quality but due to these EPA restrictions they too will one day have questionable reliability. Mass produced products will all have questionable reliability, only thing we can do is give the best maintenance we can.

CYa!

Sent from Above

To each their own, getting someone to understand one way or the other is pointless, never gonna get it. Let’s just hope for best of luck with these engines, there’s one thing I’ve learned in life is even my six figure motors may be far superior in build quality but due to these EPA restrictions they too will one day have questionable reliability. Mass produced products will all have questionable reliability, only thing we can do is give the best maintenance we can.

CYa!

Sent from Above

Let me know if amsoil drops to say $7 a quart out the door...[emoji106]

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

CYa!

Sent from Above

Yes Sir!

Let me know if amsoil drops to say $7 a quart out the door...[emoji106]

Here ya go,

Amsoil Signature Series 0W20 $10 per quart
5d90566eb37a05bb1ac968e177b8c5ea.plist

XL which gives more protection than Mobil1 $7.25 per quart
3244fb489cb977efe16afd2a80847eaf.plist

OE for sooner OCI’s $5.45 per quart
cc5c261ebbbd056231e65f8d6d2a8bcf.plist

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

Here ya go,

Amsoil Signature Series 0W20 $10 per quart
5d90566eb37a05bb1ac968e177b8c5ea.plist

XL which gives more protection than Mobil1 $7.25 per quart
3244fb489cb977efe16afd2a80847eaf.plist

OE for sooner OCI’s $5.45 per quart
cc5c261ebbbd056231e65f8d6d2a8bcf.plist

Sent from Above
Yeah man I shoulda been more specific. Im talking about the signature series. I never go for the bottom line when choosing oil.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, diyer2 said:

To provide an answer 5.

Maybe 3,4 5, 6, 7.

Our new Honda (remember my post about buying my first new vehicle) has about 600 miles in it. 

The oil looks pretty dirty to me.

Will do an oil and filter at 1000 miles. Castrol Edge 0W20. Wix 57356 filter.

Lets not start a debate about how soon to change the oil in a new vehicle.

Before Pepper my OCI's were always 7.5K. But I noticed that color came much quicker in this motor. I change now at 5K but by 3.5K it is as dark as it use to be at twice that number. Then again those motors didn't run this hot, this lean, with this much...you fill in the blanks. These motors are just harder on oil. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Before Pepper my OCI's were always 7.5K. But I noticed that color came much quicker in this motor. I change now at 5K but by 3.5K it is as dark as it use to be at twice that number. Then again those motors didn't run this hot, this lean, with this much...you fill in the blanks. These motors are just harder on oil. 

Exactly the way I feel...before this engine...before direct injection, I'd feel comfortable with 6,000-7,000 mile intervals, not with these things. Soot. And I've heard it time and time again...direct injection blasts soot past those rings, into the oil/crankcase. It creates it, it's like when this oil and high pressure fuel mix in those cylinders, it burns and creates soot. They're dirty engines. They dilute fuel into that crankcase. It's a different ballgame now.

• Haha 1

It really is a mater of personal opinion, regarding which path to take with motor oil. 

Depending on how "bad" you actually think a group lll hydrocracked synthetic is (or how good it is), you can easily take advantage of manufacturer rebates with these oils, bringing your price down to around $2 dollars a quart. Just last year Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum and Shell Rotella Gas Truck all ran rebates (with Rotella Gas truck running it again this year), giving you $11 dollars back off a 5 quart jug purchase. Do the math...$22 for a five quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum, Rotella, or Mobil1...minus $11 doallrs is roughly $22 dollars TOTAL to change the oil in one of these trucks, with two quarts to spare. 

Amsoil is a much simpler formula -- $80 dollars for an oil change, not including shipping. 

So let's say you drive 30k a year, which I do...after two years I've performed 12 oil changes, using 5,000 mile intervals. 

A group lll hydrocracked synthetic from a major name brand oil company (sold at Walmart, with rebate) will run me $264 dollars.

Amsoil Signature series for 12 oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals will run me $960 dollars.

A price difference of $696 (not including shipping) over the course of two years.

So it's very much a preference thing. Do you think a group lV is worth spending an extra $700 every two years? If so, go for it. If not, don't. 

Now if I felt comfortable going 10,000 plus miles on one of these engines between oil changes? Well, the math would be much different...and my decision might be different too. But I don't allow my oil to go past 5,000 miles on a direct injected engine anymore. Been there, done that. 

I tend to keep my vehicles ten years (300,000 miles). I have never had an engine related issue because of oil - so for me I'll take the savings...10 years/60 oil changes. A total savings of ***$3,480***

And these rebates are REAL - you will get your check in the mail. Been doing this for seven years now. You will get that check, it is EASY. But ask me if I like Amsoil...the answer is YES I DO. I just kind of like $3,480 better. To me that's my next mountain bike. Or half of it:)

• Like 3

It really is a mater of personal opinion, regarding which path to take with motor oil. 

Depending on how "bad" you actually think a group lll hydrocracked synthetic is (or how good it is), you can easily take advantage of manufacturer rebates with these oils, bringing your price down to around $2 dollars a quart. Just last year Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum and Shell Rotella Gas Truck all ran rebates (with Rotella Gas truck running it again this year), giving you $11 dollars back off a 5 quart jug purchase. Do the math...$22 for a five quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum, Rotella, or Mobil1...minus $11 doallrs is roughly $22 dollars TOTAL to change the oil in one of these trucks, with two quarts to spare. 

Amsoil is a much simpler formula -- $80 dollars for an oil change, not including shipping. 

So let's say you drive 30k a year, which I do...after two years I've performed 12 oil changes, using 5,000 mile intervals. 

A group lll hydrocracked synthetic from a major name brand oil company (sold at Walmart, with rebate) will run me $264 dollars.

Amsoil Signature series for 12 oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals will run me $960 dollars.

A price difference of $696 (not including shipping) over the course of two years.

So it's very much a preference thing. Do you think a group lV is worth spending an extra $700 every two years? If so, go for it. If not, don't. 

Now if I felt comfortable going 10,000 plus miles on one of these engines between oil changes? Well, the math would be much different...and my decision might be different too. But I don't allow my oil to go past 5,000 miles on a direct injected engine anymore. Been there, done that. 

I tend to keep my vehicles ten years (300,000 miles). I have never had an engine related issue because of oil - so for me I'll take the savings...10 years/60 oil changes. A total savings of ***$3,480***

And these rebates are REAL - you will get your check in the mail. Been doing this for seven years now. You will get that check, it is EASY. But ask me if I like Amsoil...the answer is YES I DO. I just kind of like $3,480 better. To me that's my next mountain bike. Or half of it:)
Well said[emoji106]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1