Swing Cases

I have my two swing cases installed and I love them.

I've read complaints about noise and the clip that locks them in place is now plastic. So here's my take.

I believe they went to a plastic clip to reduce noise. 

My driver's side is plastic and passenger side is metal. 

While driving I hear nothing. But I do also have a bed cover.

When I bounce the bed up and down I also hear nothing.

When I do push the bed side to side I do hear some clunking but it is a combination of my tools in the boxes and the cases them selves. The passenger side does in fact make a little more noise due to the metal clip.

Cases themselves are hard plastic and durability is not something that is sacrificed because of it.

Easily removed when you need the extra space or to take the tools with you. I would like to see a handle added to the case for ease of carrying.

I highly recommend these.

Open box on Amazon they were $160 each.

IMG_20200107_202317.jpg

Edited by djw88
  • Like 1

I've had one for about a year now.  Absolutely love it, especially with the lack of storage these trucks have really.  I think mine has the metal latch and has never rattled that I can hear except if it's not fully latched (user error).  One of those things I don't know how I lived without before haha, hoping the tonneau cover I just put on ends up being the same way.

I've been back and forth on doing these. I like the idea of tossing all my straps and such in them, but there are some larger items I want to keep (fire extinguisher, snow broom and shovel, etc.) that I think would work better mounted to the bed. I really like what Builtright offers but they are only on the Ford trucks at the moment.

I've got one of the rear seat storage bins now, but I keep leaning towards putting a sub box back there.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:45 AM, djw88 said:

IMG_20200107_202346.jpg

How high off the bed are the support arms for these?  Looking at being able to put a 2x4 in the bed divider slots, after I get mine and install them.  I may change my mind about getting these if I can't put a 2x4 there.  Right now, I have a 2x12 there. 

7 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

How high off the bed are the support arms for these?  Looking at being able to put a 2x4 in the bed divider slots, after I get mine and install them.  I may change my mind about getting these if I can't put a 2x4 there.  Right now, I have a 2x12 there. 

instructions say to mount the bracket a little over 2" off the bed from the front of the bracket (hinge end). if you need to mount it higher you could probably go another 2" easy. 

8 hours ago, djw88 said:

instructions say to mount the bracket a little over 2" off the bed from the front of the bracket (hinge end). if you need to mount it higher you could probably go another 2" easy. 

That would still block the grooves for the 2x4, unfortunately.  ALTHOUGH, I may have devised a way to modify the 2x4 to fit/work, with them in the higher position. 

18 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

That would still block the grooves for the 2x4, unfortunately.  ALTHOUGH, I may have devised a way to modify the 2x4 to fit/work, with them in the higher position. 

How they sit closed

whzWtpM.jpg

3 hours ago, Bdevr said:

The 2x4 doesn't work with these in. Though you could put a tension bar between them, or mount some sort of bracket on the boxes themselves to hold a 2x.

I use this cargo bar(pretty sure that's it, got it at Walmart), the foot of it will fit under the swing case.  Not sure how it would work keeping something real heavy in place, but worked great against my 5 gallon gas can. Thing seems pretty sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Explore-1390600-Ratcheting-Cargo/dp/B01414B9HI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=reese+bed+bar&qid=1579385708&sr=8-1 

Literally my only gripes with the box are that it covers one of tie down rings in the bed, and blocks some light from one of the bed mounted cargo lights. Not deal breakers for me, unless I had two boxes and it was that way on both sides.

Edited by HighSierraAT