US vs Mexico Build Quality

On 12/22/2022 at 12:06 AM, MaverickZ71 said:

Negative. We still have an 09 Silverado crew cab that was assembled in Silao. Window sticker says LC9 engine and MYC transmission were both built in the US. 

Well, I shoulda learned to never say never!  Just looked at the window sticker of my 2013 and the motor is Mexicano but the transmission came from the US!  LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently just bought a 2023 1500 HC 3.0 that was built in Silao. As I'm rather particular about noises and quality issues, I test drove several other trucks on the lot. I was also trying to decide between the 6.2 and 3.0. One thing I noticed is that each truck was very distinct in terms noises and there was indeed some correlation between where they were built. These were all brand new vehicles, some 2022, but most were 2023. 

The two 3.0 high country trucks were noticeably the quietest of the bunch, both built in Mexico. My truck in particular is pretty solid with the only issue being some minor sort of paint oxidation that the dealer was able to resolve. As the others were rather dirty, I didn't get a chance to closely inspect the paint for the rest. 

The three with the 6.2 were built in the US, two being HC, and the 3rd being a ZR2. All 5 noted the engine/trans were build in the US. While I absolutely do love that 6.2 motor, those interiors were all considerably nosier. Lots of creaks from the dash, doors, and center console. Plus rattles from the back seat area. You could just press on the interior trim pieces and hear a lot more creaking. Which is actually a very common issues with many manufactures. Not to say mine is 100% quiet when pushing on them - it is still plastic - but it's way better.

And that all translates to a quieter and nicer vehicle to live with. Whether it's material quality, assembly, or a combination of both, the difference is hard to ignore, as well as where it was built. Understand this is still a relatively small subset of vehicles, but a notable data point regardless.   

On the topic of noises, unfortunately they all have much more wind noise than I'd like from such an expensive vehicle, but that was another reason I like to test drive multiple vehicles. Especially now that inventories are getting back to normal. At least I know what is "normal" for the vehicle and what is not.