US vs Mexico Build Quality

3 hours ago, fatwhiteboy said:

II am on the opposite side with this conversation.  I worked for GM and have owned many.  I think you have to see the Silao plant vs Fort Wayne and Flint before stating they are all the same.  Silao does not use all of the same components as north America.  Many suppliers are local to that plant due to logistics and just in time inventory, so the tolerances and materials are not exactly the same.  Some of the components like the powertrain and suspension are the same but interior, some body panels and paint are definitely inferior.  Any assembly process that is automated up here is manual down there.  Much more room for error especially in that plant.  I would not buy a truck from Mexico due to quality issues as well as the fact that I am loyal to the UAW / American made products.  With that said the vehicles that came out of OSHWA Canada were extremely high quality but GM stopped production up there because the CAW labor rate is higher than the UAW and Mexico.  If GM had their way they would make all of them in China and ship them here.  You earned your money, you have the right to spend it anyway you want, but until you go to Silao and watch how they build trucks, I will disagree that the quality is the same.  I want to support the USA workers.  My last 4 trucks were made in Fort Wayne. 

“I am loyal to the UAW” is all I needed to know about your response. 

??‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nobody is going to be blown away by the build quality of these trucks from either plant, let’s be real here. ?

Personally, I think the Mexican-made loaner I had was put together a bit better than my US-built truck (no rattles). But in fairness, my truck is an earlier built example.

Luck of the draw probably fits the topic best.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

As previously mentioned, this question has come up earlier.  It provides an opportunity for personal politics and prejudice to be expressed.  You may even read some attempts to make up "factoids" to support such beliefs.  There is no differences in build quality.  

Ah, now I get it...... personal politics and bigotry caused my Mexican built Avalanches to leak like a sieve. And a fistful of service reports are mere made up factoids. I do appreciate the clarification....all along I thought that it was the poorly formulated and applied Mexican snot that caused leaks in my windshields, door gaskets, windshield washer gaskets, rear window seal, tonneau section covers gaskets, and replacement of a sunroof.....not to mention the extra bolts rolling around in my HVAC duct.

My thanks to those taking the moral high ground to have the temerity to charge prejudice as an excuse for attributing the possibility of poor quality to other than an inferior work environment........for that they deserve both a brownie point AND a cookie!

Had I known that Silao was a mechanically deficient plant I would have gone instead for Ridgelines or "1" Silverados. Human workers have their place as the brains, logicists and architects, not the brawn of the assembly. Robots are repeatable both in assembly and in mistakes. Humans are not. They are wild cards governed by basic education, living conditions and environment, social conditions, vices, and personal ethics which all affect the final work product.......and that includes their fellow employees who monitor the QA of the work product. Works fine in a first world developed country, but try that in a country with piss poor pay, substandard living conditions for workers, rife with controlling drug cartels, where personal safety is compromised anywhere other than an armed tourist resort and you will inevitably see problems and inconsistencies. Robots don't drink or take drugs, don't care if it is a payday and skip out early, cut short a work process to give them time to sneak out for a smoke or a "nooner", get tired or complain that components and working conditions are in excess of non existent OSHA standards, are too heavy to handle and properly align, invent their own new shortcuts or modify work materials so they can seal or assemble parts faster, leave out fasteners, drop a bolt in the HVAC duct, or drive around in a 10 y.o. POS to report to work to assemble with envy a $50K vehicle that they can never hope to buy.

Given the choice it's US or Canada manufactured first.

• Like 1

This horse has already been beat to death on here, starting with the GMT900s (2007-2013) models.  Not one iota of difference, except for political or racial bias on the part of certain observers.  

The "locally sourced parts" line is bull.  Just like the "there's no automation in the Silao factory" line is bull.  Go watch the YouTube videos of the Silao plant and tell me there is no automation.  You make it sound like GM runs out to Jose's auto parts or the pick-a--part salvage yard down there when they need something.  You can get a vehicle with a rattle or a leak built anywhere in the world.  Sometimes, it's the luck of the draw.   

If you go down to Silao, it is a modern city with a modern airport and a big modern industrial area where there are many new plants where they make the axles and the other parts, just like they do up here.  Everything is GM sourced and inspected.  (Ford, FIAT, and other companies are doing the same thing.)  Those are excellent jobs down there, so they get to pick from the best workers.  People are waiting in line to work there.  Compare that to the current UAW worker mood up here in America--one would have to question the quality of their work when there are so many reports saying the majority of the workers feel like they got screwed by both GM AND their union during the last contract negotiations/strike.  

I'm as patriotic as the next guy, no--make that more patriotic.  I wish everything for sale in America was built here.  But that being said, having Mexican-built vehicles in our fleet, I'd have to say that the ones from Silao are as good or better than the "American" ones.  The main problems in the Silao vehicles have been with the AFM-equipped engines and various transmission problems, and most of those components were built in America, shipped to Silao, and installed there, so that's not a Silao problem, that's a GM problem.

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

strange.. I was told that the Mexican plant is machined and tooled exactly the same as the US plant.  And if you don't think that those workers in Mexico are not going to do as good of a job as the American UAWs, think again.  Getting a job at an assembly plant (that is all they are now, is just assembly plants) for a top auto maker down in Mexico is something people would kill for down there.  I am quite certain that those that are working there are likely some of the best they can find and take pride in their work and take it seriously.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

This horse has already been beat to death on here, starting with the GMT900s (2007-2013) models.  Not one iota of difference, except for political or racial bias on the part of certain observers.  

The "locally sourced parts" line is bull.  Just like the "there's no automation in the Silao factory" line is bull.  Go watch the YouTube videos of the Silao plant and tell me there is no automation.  You make it sound like GM runs out to Jose's auto parts or the pick-a--part salvage yard down there when they need something.  You can get a vehicle with a rattle or a leak built anywhere in the world.  Sometimes, it's the luck of the draw.   

If you go down to Silao, it is a modern city with a modern airport and a big modern industrial area where there are many new plants where they make the axles and the other parts, just like they do up here.  Everything is GM sourced and inspected.  (Ford, FIAT, and other companies are doing the same thing.)  Those are excellent jobs down there, so they get to pick from the best workers.  People are waiting in line to work there.  Compare that to the current UAW worker mood up here in America--one would have to question the quality of their work when there are so many reports saying the majority of the workers feel like they got screwed by both GM AND their union during the last contract negotiations/strike.  

I'm as patriotic as the next guy, no--make that more patriotic.  I wish everything for sale in America was built here.  But that being said, having Mexican-built vehicles in our fleet, I'd have to say that the ones from Silao are as good or better than the "American" ones.  The main problems in the Silao vehicles have been with the AFM-equipped engines and various transmission problems, and most of those components were built in America, shipped to Silao, and installed there, so that's not a Silao problem, that's a GM problem.

agreed....

very interesting video out there between Japanese auto plant vs their American counterpart....eye opening to say least

My 2008 was built in Canada, my 14, 16, and 18 were built in Mexico, and our 16 Tahoe was built in the USA.

They all have their good qualities, and little things that should be better for the price of the trucks.

But compared to some of the Honda's and Toyota's we have had in the past, I would say overall they are built better, the reliability is what needs to catch up with the others IMO.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Got a link to that clip dead horse.  The only YouTube plant videos that I found are in Flint and Fort Wayne.  I spent a month down there for the K2XX launch and hated it.  I love all of the experts that never worked in the automotive business or spent a day in a plant.  If you don't notice a quality difference that is great, it is your money.  I most definitely will not buy one made in Mexico.  I do love to stir the pot, want to talk about politics next?

1 hour ago, fatwhiteboy said:

Got a link to that clip dead horse.  The only YouTube plant videos that I found are in Flint and Fort Wayne.  I spent a month down there for the K2XX launch and hated it.  I love all of the experts that never worked in the automotive business or spent a day in a plant.  If you don't notice a quality difference that is great, it is your money.  I most definitely will not buy one made in Mexico.  I do love to stir the pot, want to talk about politics next?

You spent a month in Silao and hated it.  And you love to stir the pot.  Thanks for openingly admitting your bias so we can all see where you're coming from!

Why don't you use some of your apparently ample free time to learn how to use search functions?  In about 2 minutes, I found the following on this website and on Youtube:

Nope, no automation at all anywhere to be seen, nor any quality control functions, either.  Those welds and some other components and assemblies appeared all by themselves!  NOT!  Nice, modern plant.  Employees did not even appear to be riding donkeys to work like you're trying to imply, UAW troll!  :loser:

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

You spent a month in Silao and hated it.  And you love to stir the pot.  Thanks for openingly admitting your bias so we can all see where you're coming from!

Why don't you use some of your apparently ample free time to learn how to use search functions?  In about 2 minutes, I found the following on this website and on Youtube:

Nope, no automation at all anywhere to be seen, nor any quality control functions, either.  Those welds and some other components and assemblies appeared all by themselves!  NOT!  Nice, modern plant.  Employees did not even appear to be riding donkeys to work like you're trying to imply, UAW troll!  :loser:

Watch the Fort Wayne or Flint, then watch those 2 that you posted.  No I could not find them, no I am not a UAW member, no I do not live on this site, no I did not like Mexico and yes I am extremely bias toward American made vehicles.  They have been putting food on my table for over 30 years.  I am far from a troll but do enjoy a good debate.  That plant is by far inferior to the other 3 that build T1XX vehicles.  Maybe I am just much more critical than folks that see no difference OR smarter???  I love it...

19 minutes ago, fatwhiteboy said:

Watch the Fort Wayne or Flint, then watch those 2 that you posted.  No I could not find them, no I am not a UAW member, no I do not live on this site, no I did not like Mexico and yes I am extremely bias toward American made vehicles.  They have been putting food on my table for over 30 years.  I am far from a troll but do enjoy a good debate.  That plant is by far inferior to the other 3 that build T1XX vehicles.  Maybe I am just much more critical than folks that see no difference OR smarter???  I love it...

Just kind of catching the end of this "debate", so I will ask a serious question:

What would I, or someone else be looking for as far as the differences in the trucks?

Having worked at a dealership, I never really noticed a huge difference between the trucks built in different places. 

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Wonder if there is someone in Japan right now complaining about the build quality of his Accord that was built in Ohio?

Riding Donkeys to work actually might be a good marketing plan, they do get great mileage with pretty low emissions….

• Haha 2