US vs Mexico Build Quality

It's laughable to think there's a difference between the two. Avalanche was crap not due to the location, it's just crap.

People claiming parts are locally sourced for the Mexican ones vs. American ones are full of crap, the majority are already made in Mexico and shipped to the U.S. anyway.

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

It's laughable to think there's a difference between the two. Avalanche was crap not due to the location, it's just crap.

People claiming parts are locally sourced for the Mexican ones vs. American ones are full of crap, the majority are already made in Mexico and shipped to the U.S. anyway.

I’ve been buying new trucks since the eighties. My all time favorite is the Avalanche. I bought my first new one in 2006. When I retired I started looking for a clean used one. I absolutely hate the new trucks. My very clean 2002 Avalanche is testament they’re not junk. At 178K miles it’s more reliable than a new one. And more likely to go an additional 150K miles than a new one. Certainly for less money in repairs.

funny thing......2020 and 2022 2500 HD and 2019, 2021 and now a 2022 1500 GM truck and all were FT Wayne Indiana, did not plan it that way and bought from different delerships.....didnt keep any long enough for reliability.....but longest one being 10k miles havent had a single issue.....and yeah for whatever reason am happy to have a FT WAYNE sticker vs mexico but thats contingent on truck staying in 1 piece.....if it doesnt than will be more mad than if it was made in Mexico

does this makes sense?.....absolutely it doesnt but we humans are strange so what are ya gonna do

19 hours ago, Wiggums said:

It says where all the parts come from right on the window sticker.

Screenshot_20221126-142758_Drive.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1

1 hour ago, dieselfan1 said:

It says where all the parts come from right on the window sticker.

Screenshot_20221126-142758_Drive.jpg

That doesn't surprise me. I am willing to bet there were at least ten countries, even Communist China. 

My statement still stands, majority of parts came from Mexico anyway.

Edited by Wiggums

50 minutes ago, Churchill729 said:

Here are three Window Sticker snippets for the LT trim from Canada, Mexico and USA.

Canada.png

Mexico.png

USA.png

Where it is made has never made a difference on where the parts come from because nearly all the parts are made by ONE manufacturer and most would be in Mexico for sure.

With regards to the GMT900s, the Extended Cabs were built in Fort Wayne, the Crew Cabs in Silao.  The motors for the Fort Wayne trucks came from American plants, the motors for the Silao trucks came from Mexican plants.  No option to choose otherwise.  Probably the same or similar today to maximize economy of scale.

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

Where it is made has never made a difference on where the parts come from because nearly all the parts are made by ONE manufacturer and most would be in Mexico for sure.

I’m not disagreeing with you. 

Looking at these three window stickers, it appears that all three received 44% of their parts from Mexico. 

39 minutes ago, Churchill729 said:

I’m not disagreeing with you. 

Looking at these three window stickers, it appears that all three received 44% of their parts from Mexico. 

I was actually adding to your statement. Almost all parts are made by one manufacturer, not multiple manufacturers. A transmission assembled in U.S. or Afghanistan would use parts from the same source.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

Do Mexican autoworkers make the same as US autoworkers? Are they protected through the UAW like in the US? 

Those two questions should give you your answers. Would you do the same quality of work your doing now at your job for $5 less per hour? Average UAW wage is $35/hr, average Mexican assembly line wage is $3.60/hr. I guess if that is the wage your used to, then your workmanship may not be affected, but if you knew your co-workers across the border were making 10x the amount you were it might..

Answer is undeterminable and would be subjective, based off each worker, line supervisors and their moods that day. 

UAW workers have their jobs protected. Union workers are some of the most entitled workers I've ever met.

Workers in Mexico feel lucky to have a job. They know that they can be fired without cause and replaced the next day. It stands to reason that they will put forth more effort than a UAW worker. Wage differences are inconsequential. Cost of living in Mexico is nothing like the US. The workers at the GM plant are likely some of the highest paid in the country for their field.

You are thinking like the entire world is the same as the US, it is not.

On 11/26/2022 at 4:11 PM, swathdiver said:

With regards to the GMT900s, the Extended Cabs were built in Fort Wayne, the Crew Cabs in Silao.  The motors for the Fort Wayne trucks came from American plants, the motors for the Silao trucks came from Mexican plants.  No option to choose otherwise.  Probably the same or similar today to maximize economy of scale.

Negative. We still have an 09 Silverado crew cab that was assembled in Silao. Window sticker says LC9 engine and MYC transmission were both built in the US. 

• Like 1