Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

US vs Mexico Build Quality


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, OkieMedic said:

Has anyone noticed any build quality differences between US and Mexico built trucks?

Si!

 

.02 You've got to figure that a lot of generic assembly materials are locally sourced to save bucks and assure sufficient stock and fast delivery.

 

US and Canada '15 Camaro,  '16 & '18 Malibus , '18 Traverse, and '16 and '19 Silverados.......no problemo!

Loved the look of the Avalanche, that's why every Silverado from now on will also have a fake "sail" sports bar. I tried and gave them a chance but after '07, '12 and '13 Silao mfrd. Avalanches  put together with Mexican snot for sealant which leaked more than a submarine with a screen door.....I only buy GMs with a "1" or "2" as the leading digit in the VIN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Si!

 

.02 You've got to figure that a lot of generic assembly materials are locally sourced to save bucks and assure sufficient stock and fast delivery.

 

US and Canada '15 Camaro,  '16 & '18 Malibus , '18 Traverse, and '16 and '19 Silverados.......no problemo!

Loved the look of the Avalanche, that's why every Silverado from now on will also have a fake "sail" sports bar. I tried and gave them a chance but after '07, '12 and '13 Silao mfrd. Avalanches  put together with Mexican snot for sealant which leaked more than a submarine with a screen door.....I only buy GMs with a "1" or "2" as the leading digit in the VIN.

Come again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, OkieMedic said:

Has anyone noticed any build quality differences between US and Mexico built trucks?

As previously mentioned, this question has come up earlier.  It provides an opportunity for personal politics and prejudice to be expressed.  You may even read some attempts to make up "factoids" to support such beliefs.  There is no differences in build quality.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Five of my last six silverados were Mexico built and I had zero problems with any of them, not so with my 19 TB which was built in Ft. Wayne and had nothing but problems with it. As far a parts sourcing I would say the US built trucks use most of the same parts as the ones built in Mexico, only difference is the labor. My current one is a Mexico build and am so far very happy with it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Donstar said:

As previously mentioned, this question has come up earlier.  It provides an opportunity for personal politics and prejudice to be expressed.  You may even read some attempts to make up "factoids" to support such beliefs.  There is no differences in build quality.  

II am on the opposite side with this conversation.  I worked for GM and have owned many.  I think you have to see the Silao plant vs Fort Wayne and Flint before stating they are all the same.  Silao does not use all of the same components as north America.  Many suppliers are local to that plant due to logistics and just in time inventory, so the tolerances and materials are not exactly the same.  Some of the components like the powertrain and suspension are the same but interior, some body panels and paint are definitely inferior.  Any assembly process that is automated up here is manual down there.  Much more room for error especially in that plant.  I would not buy a truck from Mexico due to quality issues as well as the fact that I am loyal to the UAW / American made products.  With that said the vehicles that came out of OSHWA Canada were extremely high quality but GM stopped production up there because the CAW labor rate is higher than the UAW and Mexico.  If GM had their way they would make all of them in China and ship them here.  You earned your money, you have the right to spend it anyway you want, but until you go to Silao and watch how they build trucks, I will disagree that the quality is the same.  I want to support the USA workers.  My last 4 trucks were made in Fort Wayne. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, fatwhiteboy said:

II am on the opposite side with this conversation.  I worked for GM and have owned many.  I think you have to see the Silao plant vs Fort Wayne and Flint before stating they are all the same.  Silao does not use all of the same components as north America.  Many suppliers are local to that plant due to logistics and just in time inventory, so the tolerances and materials are not exactly the same.  Some of the components like the powertrain and suspension are the same but interior, some body panels and paint are definitely inferior.  Any assembly process that is automated up here is manual down there.  Much more room for error especially in that plant.  I would not buy a truck from Mexico due to quality issues as well as the fact that I am loyal to the UAW / American made products.  With that said the vehicles that came out of OSHWA Canada were extremely high quality but GM stopped production up there because the CAW labor rate is higher than the UAW and Mexico.  If GM had their way they would make all of them in China and ship them here.  You earned your money, you have the right to spend it anyway you want, but until you go to Silao and watch how they build trucks, I will disagree that the quality is the same.  I want to support the USA workers.  My last 4 trucks were made in Fort Wayne. 

So your saying that there is no automation at the Silao plant? I highly doubt this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Booger T said:

So your saying that there is no automation at the Silao plant? I highly doubt this.

Not as much as Fort Wayne, Flint and Arlington (SUV's).  People are cheaper than machines.  Unfortunately Mexico is much like China in that respect.  There is no OSHA so safety for workers is not a concern at all.

Edited by fatwhiteboy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I think the build location is a non factor.

It's the luck of the draw.

This is true with every product we buy IMO.

You get a good one or you don't.

:)

I 100% agree with you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, there is no difference. GM (or any manufacturer) wouldn't have one plant supply a completely different quality product than another from different locations. They want them to be indistinguishable regardless of production location. Tons of threads already on this same exact subject, read those, but they do regular inspections of product from both places and I promise there is no difference. Those that say there is just have some type of gotta buy american value in them and that is all that is driving it. For me, I would rather keep my costs down than paying UAW build prices for the same skilled worker...

 

Tyler

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do Mexican autoworkers make the same as US autoworkers? Are they protected through the UAW like in the US? 

 

Those two questions should give you your answers. Would you do the same quality of work your doing now at your job for $5 less per hour? Average UAW wage is $35/hr, average Mexican assembly line wage is $3.60/hr. I guess if that is the wage your used to, then your workmanship may not be affected, but if you knew your co-workers across the border were making 10x the amount you were it might..

 

Answer is undeterminable and would be subjective, based off each worker, line supervisors and their moods that day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.