Running wire from BackRack to inside cab

Hello, 

New member. I recently purchased a 2020 Silverado 1500 crew cab and want to mount an emergency Light-Bar to my BackRack. I am a volunteer firemen so this will be for a personal vehicle setup so I want to avoid any major changes to the truck like drilling a hole through the roof. I was thinking of possibly routing the wire to the front of the vehicle then through the firewall grommet but that seems like a waste of wire... since I want it to terminate under the back seats. I believe I have seen in the past others talking about routing the wire through the floor of the cab through an existing drain plug with a weatherproof grommet. Does anyone have any advice as to the locations of them or pictures/ links to any other posts about the topic? Does anyone know if they are also under the rear seats in addition to the front? 

Thanks!

Hello, 

New member. I recently purchased a 2020 Silverado 1500 crew cab and want to mount an emergency Light-Bar to my BackRack. I am a volunteer firemen so this will be for a personal vehicle setup so I want to avoid any major changes to the truck like drilling a hole through the roof. I was thinking of possibly routing the wire to the front of the vehicle then through the firewall grommet but that seems like a waste of wire... since I want it to terminate under the back seats. I believe I have seen in the past others talking about routing the wire through the floor of the cab through an existing drain plug with a weatherproof grommet. Does anyone have any advice as to the locations of them or pictures/ links to any other posts about the topic? Does anyone know if they are also under the rear seats in addition to the front? 

Thanks!

Yes there are some in front of rear seat , look under the  rear of the cab and you see the plastic plug .you can also lift the door still and carpet and run your wire thru  it and don't forget some sealer . I did this on my 2019 LD . Power & Antenna cable .

29 minutes ago, slj2008 said:

Yes there are some in front of rear seat , look under the  rear of the cab and you see the plastic plug .you can also lift the door still and carpet and run your wire thru  it and don't forget some sealer . I did this on my 2019 LD . Power & Antenna cable .

Thank you very much for the helpful feedback! Also thanks for the tip on the door sill channels. I plan on having my "controller box" mounted under the rear seats. So I was going to run my power through the firewall grommet, through those sill channels and to the rear seat where I can tie in with the Light-Bar wire from the plastic plug. I probably won't get around to doing this for a bit but I will try and document what I do. 

Thank you very much for the helpful feedback! Also thanks for the tip on the door sill channels. I plan on having my "controller box" mounted under the rear seats. So I was going to run my power through the firewall grommet, through those sill channels and to the rear seat where I can tie in with the Light-Bar wire from the plastic plug. I probably won't get around to doing this for a bit but I will try and document what I do. 

My Power wires ran from second battery along the frame with the truck wire hardness  to the plastic plug ,  then under rear seat for radio main unit , control panel , ect. . There's more room under the truck , then the still channel  .  my power wire was tie strap to the truck main hardness every 8" all the way back - BUT that's me. 

If you want quick easily reversible and no drilling it can be done it you have a 110v outlet in the bed.all it takes is a 12 volt DC transformer plugged into the outlet and it can be controlled with the power switch in the cluster below the HVAC controls....switch even has a light to indicate when the outlet is being powered. I'm powering the lights on the sports bar that way.....suitable transformer and outlet can provide up to 250 watts at 12v.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:55 PM, Thomcat said:

If you want quick easily reversible and no drilling it can be done it you have a 110v outlet in the bed.all it takes is a 12 volt DC transformer plugged into the outlet and it can be controlled with the power switch in the cluster below the HVAC controls....switch even has a light to indicate when the outlet is being powered. I'm powering the lights on the sports bar that way.....suitable transformer and outlet can provide up to 250 watts at 12v.

Thanks that’s a great idea, never thought about using it. I’ll add that to my list of options to consider. Even if I don’t use it for my light bar it might be a great way to wire in some additional work lights/ bed lights on the back rack. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2020 at 2:12 PM, slj2008 said:

My Power wires ran from second battery along the frame with the truck wire hardness  to the plastic plug ,  then under rear seat for radio main unit , control panel , ect. . There's more room under the truck , then the still channel  .  my power wire was tie strap to the truck main hardness every 8" all the way back - BUT that's me. 

Not to resurrect an old post, but can you share some details about how you mounted the second battery to the Frame? I haven't found an elegant solution yet.