Metallic rattle around 1500 RPMs?

https://youtu.be/KTkD-jo16RA

here’s a video of the noise. The noise happens at 2 seconds and 26 seconds. In this video I was riding in the passenger side 3rd row seat and it sounded like I’d was coming from under me. It also made the noise once today while driving when it was warmed up, which was a 1st. 

Edited by tarheel34

On 2/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, tarheel34 said:

https://youtu.be/KTkD-jo16RA

here’s a video of the noise. The noise happens at 2 seconds and 26 seconds. In this video I was riding in the passenger side 3rd row seat and it sounded like I’d was coming from under me. It also made the noise once today while driving when it was warmed up, which was a 1st. 

Exact same sound.  Interesting that yours only happens when cold.  I only notice it on mine when everything reaches operating temp.  It's pretty much going to rain all week here.  Hopefully this weekend I can get under there and do some more investigating.  I'm tempted to just remove the whole exhaust from the clamp at the y-pipe back to try and rule out the valve and the clamps.  It'll probably be stupid loud but oh well. 

Any tips from anyone on the best way to snake it out on jack stands without cutting anything?

2 hours ago, Frostydub said:

Exact same sound.  Interesting that yours only happens when cold.  I only notice it on mine when everything reaches operating temp.  It's pretty much going to rain all week here.  Hopefully this weekend I can get under there and do some more investigating.  I'm tempted to just remove the whole exhaust from the clamp at the y-pipe back to try and rule out the valve and the clamps.  It'll probably be stupid loud but oh well. 

Any tips from anyone on the best way to snake it out on jack stands without cutting anything?

I have a 18” Magnaflow ordered and will have it installed this weekend. Going to have everything from in front of the muffler back cut out and replaced, so I’ll know for sure if it’s something around there lol. 

46 minutes ago, tarheel34 said:

I have a 18” Magnaflow ordered and will have it installed this weekend. Going to have everything from in front of the muffler back cut out and replaced, so I’ll know for sure if it’s something around there lol. 

Solid - I can't wait to hear what that sounds like!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Had the exhaust put on and it does sound extremely good, but it didn’t fix the issue. Turns out, the torque converter is shot and needs replaced. Good thing is, the transmission was just rebuilt 5,000 miles ago, so it should be under warranty. It was making the noise every time the tcc would lock and unlock. 

4 minutes ago, tarheel34 said:

Quick update. Had the exhaust put on and it does sound extremely good, but it didn’t fix the issue. Turns out, the torque converter is shot and needs replaced. Good thing is, the transmission was just rebuilt 5,000 miles ago, so it should be under warranty. It was making the noise every time the tcc would lock and unlock. 

Well that wasn't the answer I was looking for but awesome for you it's still under warranty!  I guess if that's the case, with 124k on it now should I replace just the converter or rebuild the whole transmission?  It seems to shift smoothly, but I don't know if the converter could send any metallic parts through the transmission if the clutch fails like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my end.  Shop ran a full inspection and their best guess is I have a failure inside the 3-5-R clutch assembly as well as possible torque converter issues as well.  Tearing everything down on Monday to let me know the full extent of damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up being a failure in the 4-5-6 drum/clutch assembly.  New converter, solenoids, techm, valve body, hd clutches and steels, pump, and a few other odds and ends were replaced.  Now the only noise she makes is the stupid chirp switching back to v8 mode, other than that super quiet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here she is clutches assembled, awaiting final assembly and then assembled and painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 3 years later...