New Traverse questions please...

Yes, this may be the wrong place for this. I have a 2014 Sierra 5.3 A/T and post on here regarding issues and such, but I had a question about the 2020 Traverse because my wife desperately wants one (and I tried posting on that forum which isnt working at the moment). I tried talking her into a Kia Telluride (more for the money, much much better/longer warranty, company seems to actually fix their issues, etc) but she wont have it, the Traverse it is, 100% mind set. And this is coming from me, a diehard entire life chevy/gmc family. I am tired of GM honestly, not because they have had issues, all manufacturers do, but because they are major internal engine or trans issues for which they deny, deny, deny, problems shared by thousands of people (like AC condenser), they add exceptions to warranty (like fuel injectors in the DI sierras), decrease their new warranty lengths, send out notices for problems long after they knew about the issue and only when lawsuits force them to do so (like the excessive oil consumption in my wifes 2011 Equinox that isnt running (at only 67K) long after the timeframe for reimbursement has expired and they know it), etc... I can go on and on... but she is dead set on the newer Traverse. So here I am... I would like someone to tell me about owning a 2020 Traverse from the standpoint of problems and preventing problems.

FOR EXAMPLE, if I could go back in time when I bought my 2014 Sierra new, I would have liked someone to tell me the following: DI engine, prone to carbon deposits, use higher grade fuel like 91 or 93, change the oil more frequently than recommended, +/- catch can, it has V4 / AFM mode but dont ever use it, tune it out or run in M5, use a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner every now and then, etc... etc... 

I would LOVE for someone to say something like that for Traverse issues without me having to dig through hundreds of pages to figure out what issue(s) I should anticipate. For instance, I have heard about the 9 speed trans in the 2018 people having problems, needing flushes early, replacements, new torque converters, etc... So anyone have any insight to 2020 Traverse problems or preventable maintenance? Anyone know if the 2018 Traverse trans/torque converter (I believe there is a TSB regarding them) underwent any changes in the 2020 models? Supposedly it had something to do with chevy not using the proper trans fluid for the 9 speed? I thank you for your time!!!! Take care, Chris

I had a 2011 Kia Sorento a few cars ago and really liked it.  Kia stood behind their warranty and fixed the few issues I did have with it without question.  If I didn't have to have a truck now for towing, I'd definitely have a Telluride.  I assume they still offer the 100,000 mile warranty on them, that alone makes it a no brainer.

I'd say let her drive both, every Traverse I've ever seen has had a plasticy garbage feel right out of the gate.  Chevy has never been able to get the mid-size SUV right as far as I'm concerned.

No Traverse here, but my wife has the current generation Enclave avenir (Same size as Traverse just nicer finishes, especially on the Avenir, I was not as impressed with the base trims) for just over a year now and about 21k miles on it and we have not had any issues.  Buick has a 4yr 50k mile bumper to bumper warranty also, so not quite as long as the Kia, but better than GMC/Chevy.  

My daily is the current generation Acadia (same platform, but shorter length).  I like the larger size better (Enclave/Traverse) than the shorter (Acadia/XT6) as the 3rd row is more usable and the trunk space as well.  My Acadia is about 2.5 years old, 74k miles, I had to have the one of the fuel sensor replaced and a sensor in the shifter (that was preventing the car from realizing it was in park so I could not turn off the ignition) replaced - these were both under warranty and then I recently has to replace the 3rd brake light due to the retainer clip not holding tight and allowing water in (out of warranty),  I was planning on switching to the new Acadia (just because I didn't want 2 of the same vehicles), but now I am going to get the 2021 Yukon as my daily later this year.

Edited by peterlawl84

My wife has a 19 with less than 20k on it. It's a lease so I'm not too concerned with issues as I'll be giving it back. So far we haven't had any problems. The suspension is way better than her 13 which we had to replace the struts twice in 30k miles. The 3.6 seems to be a decent engine. Plenty of power and minimal issues. I'm a mechanic and see these engines quite frequently and most problems are minor. Coils, purge valves stuff like that. The older ones were pretty bad for blow by in the pcv port. I believe they redesigned the valve cover to address that issue. My wife's has an 8 speed trans and I'm not too happy with it. As with all gm transmissions it has a really bad tune so it's all over the place. We took it to Tennessee last August and it really didn't like the heat and the mountains. It was shifting really weird and and running over 200 degrees most of the time. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The last time I looked into a Traverse everything I read said that all of it's engines use start/stop technology.  And, that there was no way to turn that off.  I'm sure there's a work around or tune out there, but I'm not sure if any of them don't void the warranty.  I think you can drive around in manual, but I wasn't interested in that.  So, if you're okay with start/stop technology (same as driving a golf cart), then have at it.  I'm holding off as long as possible.

If you operate as a two car family and she is "100%" in favour of a Traverse, then I recommend you support her in her choice.  She has done her research and has her reasons. I know my wife struggles to appreciate why I choose a big crew cab pickup as my personal daily driver but as long as she doesn't have to drive it,  all is well!  I know your concern is around the reliability more than the style but my point is the same.  Digging up dirt on your wife's choice will come back to bite you in the future!