Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency

Has anyone had this recall done and if so, were there any "side effects" ?

The following recalls and programs have been found for your 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD

• VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Results last updated: Feb 15, 2020

Recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below.

Safety & Non-Compliance Recalls

• GM Recall #:
  • N192273630
  •  
  • Date Issued:
  • Nov 14, 2019

Recall Title:

Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary emissions recall involving certain 2019 model year diesel engine vehicles. The engine control module (ECM) in these vehicles may not adequately diagnose or illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (Check Engine Light) when frequent regeneration of the diesel particulate filter (DPF) occurs.

Safety Risk Description:

TBD

Repair Description:

Dealers are to program the engine control module (ECM) with corrected software.

Customer Action:

TBD

Part Availability:

TBD

Edited by tripleb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a note on this "voluntary" recall.  If you have the truck registered in California as I do, if the "voluntary" recall isn't performed you will not be able to renew your vehicle registration.  This is clearly explained on the back side of the recall notice.  So explain to me why this is voluntary???

Shouldn't  regen any different. 

The change is in the monitoring of the frequency of regens.  If it is regening too often the current programming MAY not be notifying. 

FWIW, it doesn't say 'voluntary' on the GM Canada notices, even though the Cdn emission stuff is usually done the same as in the US.

This time, the GM Canada notice say it is 'in accordance with the requirements of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act'. 

Got the second notice this week.  This time saying they are now ready to perform the update.  

Has the same emission recall number as before, but also has an Environment and Climate Change Canada Recall #

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently got the second letter stating that they were ready for both the emissions and the heater cord mods. This was also done in conjunction with an oil change. So far I have not noticed any real change - except that the in the past the regen raised the idle RPMs to around 1k, now they are a bit less. I think the frequency of the regens is about the same- for me it was about every 400 miles or so. Now that I have retired, I am not necessarly driving it daily and using it more for hy and towing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the 6th week with my 2016 duramax in a dealers garage waiting on a particulate filter. It has 80k miles. Its my work truck with anvil and power tools mounted to the frame and bed. My business is going down the drain, I've never been so frustrated in my life. Customer service is nonexistent. Its my 3rd and last duramax. Where the hell is the part I need to get back on the road? Are we living in a 3rd world country? COME ON! 

If it's any comfort, Dodge and Ford have had DPF issues as well.  I've heard of the same issues, getting parts, frequent regens, regens not completing blah.  Add to that DEF issues.  Knock on wood the DPF on the 2- 2008 Duramax's I've owned have been trouble free.  Current truck has 205,000 miles and still regens once every 350 miles or so, my former 2008 with lower miles would regen once every 400-500 miles.  I loved it, and it's bigger fuel tank.. uggh.  I owned a 2013 2500 Duramax for a year or so and I had major DPF and DEF issues, all covered under warranty, but problematic none the less.  Then when the warranty expired and the NOC sensors began acting up, I got rid of the thing.  When it went into a regen, I could smoke out an intersection with white smoke.  I see Fords do this as well, ha ha.   I got pulled over and had to explain to the officer that it was doing a regen and this was "normal" according to the dealer.  Got a written warning and drove over to the dealer and gave it to the service manager and suggested they forward this onto the engineers at GM because this was going to be an issue. 

The DPF in the 08 LMM Duramax used a different method of injecting diesel into the DPF during regen.  But with the addition of DEF on the LMLs I think they had to change things around a bit and it was not good.  I haven't heard too much complaining about the current Diesels so hopefully GM and the others got some bugs worked out, but that is not helping you out any in your current situation.  Sorry.