Overhead Grab Handles?

I couldn’t find this in the search... But I know it’s out there. 

One thing I would love to add is OEM looking overhead grab handles above each door (front, rear, driver, passenger). Multiple times I’ve had passengers instinctually reach up there Only to find nothing. The grab handles that are in place are great but I’d like to add additional ones up on the ceiling like they’ve had in the past. 

Anyone do this? How much work would it be? It’s obviously got to be mounted sturdy so people don’t rip it off!

cheers. 

• 11 months later...

I too struggled to find ANYTHING on adding ceiling/roof area mounted grab handles. However,  I currently am 90% complete with the installation of a passenger side grab handle for the wife. What I have discovered is there are two mounting bolts for the air bag located in the exact location for the handle! 

Removal of the weather stripping from the A pillar to the door handle side is necessary. This is very easy and reinstalls easily also. I removed one bolt above the seat belt (marked air bag. It is not for the airbag) this bolt allows more access for you to pull the edges of the headliner down so you can see the two brackets & bolts that support the airbag. These 2 bolts are the exact position and distance apart for my grab handle. Now, the tricky part! 

In order to get the handle in place "two" "slits" will be required...I am going to cut a "T" shaped "slit" into the headliner....This will allow me to slide the mounting ends of the handle through the headliner and attach it to the "bolts" used to mount & hold the airbag.  I'm using the "T" cut, instead of a straight line cut, so I'll be able to slide the 10mm socket over the bolt head from below. (*These 2 bolts where loosened by prying the headliner down just enough & with a mirror & swivel socket adapter,  I was able to un-screw them enough to remove them. Note, they have a guide pin also that the circular bracket holds in place. It comes out easily too...)

The "T" slit is necessary & will be the only issue & potentially require some cosmetic surgery.  But the benefits will totally outweigh the minor cuts. Just to keep the Wife happy!!!

Check back today or soon,  for the final outcome and pictures. 

20210131_064004.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

How or do you think this will effect the side airbag system?

Would love to have the handles if I'm not mistaken my buddy's 2018 has them.

Edited by WeGone