15 camera upgrade

I'd be equally interested.

I'd also like to trash the Infotainment system so as to include a TRUE navigation system like my 2013 had.  Unfortunately, the Info system is only about 1"-2" deep in the dash so there is no room to cut out that area and install a bona fide nav system.  Expensive, but works.

I use up a helluva data with iPhone traveling the byways here in the Midwest and West Coast using the nav/map system on the phone.  

I just got an iPad Air thinking it would work, but still need the cell phone to make that happen.  

Anyone out there in Chevy Truck land tried cutting out the dash?

The 360 camera is a pretty major change.  At the minimum, you are missing the cameras in the outside mirrors and front grill.  The Video Processing Module is different from 270 to 360 deg camera.  You obviously would need all the coax lines to connect all the cameras.  This is just the hardware needs.  There could be some other modules that would need to be reflashed as well to support displaying images.  This is not an easy retro.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2020 at 3:46 AM, MTU Alum said:

The 360 camera is a pretty major change.  At the minimum, you are missing the cameras in the outside mirrors and front grill.  The Video Processing Module is different from 270 to 360 deg camera.  You obviously would need all the coax lines to connect all the cameras.  This is just the hardware needs.  There could be some other modules that would need to be reflashed as well to support displaying images.  This is not an easy retro.

#iworkforGM 

thanks for getting back with me is there anything out there now that would accomdate the 15 view cameras now? the hardware i have now is backup and hitch camera. im not worried about the hardware as i am with the software. 

There is a thread in the 1500 forum about this. My understanding is it requires you already have at least the trailer camera package (camera up in your 3rd brake light, but no live-view mirror). This has to do with the software on the HMI from my understanding. If you have that you can upgrade it all.

I've been looking at alternate 360 systems myself, and have come up iwth a parts solution, (HDMI interface from MVI - gm-navigation.com) - plus an aftermarket 360 system from aliexpress, but i havent gone for it yet. 

On 3/4/2020 at 9:01 PM, Whiz said:

I'd be equally interested.

I'd also like to trash the Infotainment system so as to include a TRUE navigation system like my 2013 had.  Unfortunately, the Info system is only about 1"-2" deep in the dash so there is no room to cut out that area and install a bona fide nav system.  Expensive, but works.

I use up a helluva data with iPhone traveling the byways here in the Midwest and West Coast using the nav/map system on the phone.  

I just got an iPad Air thinking it would work, but still need the cell phone to make that happen.  

Anyone out there in Chevy Truck land tried cutting out the dash?

There's a guy on youtube that added a large pioneer system, but you lose all of your controls to your truck without the factory system. 

Alternatively, you should be able to download offline maps with google maps on your mobile and not use much, if any, data. Or if you have an IOS infotainment with SD card slot, you can upgrade to the factory IOU navigation.