Unknown Dash Console Cab Noise - 2002

2002 Silverado 4X4 Regular Cab Z71 5.3

WHAT is this squeaking noise?  Anyone?

Truck has a minor soft low pitch  sometimes intermittent muted  squeaking noise coming from somewhere near the ash tray area - or near the airbag key/light on dash - or someplace nearby.   

Yes, have removed ash tray - that's not it.  

Could be coming from heater area.  

Noise does not fluctuate with heater fan.  Heater fan Off.  Still noise. Heater fan on any speed - noise is the exactly the  same.  No change is pitch or sound on any fan speed.

Turn the engine off - then key in ON position - still squeaking noise.   

I have a 2002 myself and have been doing a lot of work to it recently.  any chance the sound disapears when the guage/radio trim/bezel is off? 

I found it most interesting that GM put a micro bead of rtv like substance around the inside edges of the bezel to eliminate squeaking and vibrations.  I wonder if that's deteriorated or fallen off on your car and is the cause of a squeak that you hear.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2020 at 9:46 AM, unit731 said:

Well.  It's been  a month now.  

And no squeak.   

On 4/5/2020 at 11:47 PM, echobyte said:

Hvac? I have a ticking or popping noise that I'm trying to figure out under my dash. ticks and pops weather the fan is on or off. Only does it when i mess with the climate levers heat or cold.

Sounds like your noise may be the blend door actuator.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:46 AM, unit731 said:

Truck has a minor soft low pitch  sometimes intermittent muted  squeaking noise coming from somewhere near the ash tray area - or near the airbag key/light on dash - or someplace nearby.   

Yes, have removed ash tray - that's not it.  

Could be coming from heater area.  

Noise does not fluctuate with heater fan.  Heater fan Off.  Still noise. Heater fan on any speed - noise is the exactly the  same.  No change is pitch or sound on any fan speed.

Turn the engine off - then key in ON position - still squeaking noise.   

I chased a squeaking sound for more than 10 years on my 2002, that I though was coming from behind the gauges in the dash.  I ripped that thing apart stuffing foam and felt everywhere.  It turned out to be excessive slop in the lower steering column bearing.  Added a worm drive clamp for $.90 and fixed it, per the link below.     

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/chevy-truck-steering-clunking-noise-easy-5-00-fix.1007043/

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, that dash sound was weird.  

I did take truck to local mechanic and he heard the noise.  As if continued I was going to have this looked at further. It was a muted sqeaky noise.  

It was there for weeks at a time.  Then would go away.  Then come back.  Seemed to come from just above the ash try or thereabout.  It did not sound like anything coming from the heater/fan.  But who knows.  

It is gone now for quite awhile.