Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

19 minutes ago, Donstar said:

The restroom trailer idea is a good one regardless of restrictions.  One of the best parts of our travel trailer days was not relying on the cleanliness of others and not worrying when we will make it to the next pit stop.  However, recently I've learned about Buc-ee's.  I'd make a special road trip just to use their legendary facilities!  

I drive a route for comfort going east to visit the father in law. That includes buc-ee’s. I go through Florida interstate 10. There’s a buc-ee’s and rest areas about every 30 minutes. Coming back interstate 20 just before Atlanta we take a two lane to avoid Atlanta going south. There’s a buc-ees being built and a good hotel and Italian restaurant that’s amazing.  

• Thanks 1

Friday I received a parcel from Colorado that took seven weeks to get to me in British Columbia.  It was a replacement windshield for my motorcycle that was clearly labeled and properly documented.  I tracked the parcel on its journey and customs was the bulk of the delay.  I appreciate that it has taken many years to develop such a bottleneck and  I am sure there are many good reasons for this level of bureaucracy.   However, waiting for things and services  has noticeably become a new normal and attributable  to staffing shortages. People entering the job market today can get jobs that required a considerably longer resume than when I entered!     

Edited by Donstar
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Friday I received a parcel from Colorado that took seven weeks to get to me in British Columbia.  It was a replacement windshield for my motorcycle that was clearly labeled and properly documented.  I tracked the parcel on its journey and customs was the bulk of the delay.  I appreciate that it has taken many years to develop such a bottleneck and  I am sure there are many good reasons for this level of bureaucracy.   However, waiting for things and services  has noticeably become a new normal and attributable  to staffing shortages. People entering the job market today can get jobs that required a considerably longer resume than when I entered!     

Post 9/11 and Covid bottlenecks killed quick trans Canada US movement unless it’s illicit drugs. 

• Haha 1

My Sunday car shopping has really been poor.  I went this past weekend and can't imagine how car dealers remain in business.  There is very little product on my favored GM and Ford lots.   I was hoping to see a Ford Maverick Hybrid in real life.  It sounds like the size and features of this particular model is proving to be very popular.  It is about as close as you can get to driving an economy car while saying you have a pickup.  I am sure GM will respond with their version of a modern unibody pickup.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Donstar said:

My Sunday car shopping has really been poor.  I went this past weekend and can't imagine how car dealers remain in business.  There is very little product on my favored GM and Ford lots.   I was hoping to see a Ford Maverick Hybrid in real life.  It sounds like the size and features of this particular model is proving to be very popular.  It is about as close as you can get to driving an economy car while saying you have a pickup.  I am sure GM will respond with their version of a modern unibody pickup.

It’s not working out too bad for the dealer. They don’t have to worry about floor plans. There’re getting MSRP or better. Like the oil companies getting more for doing less. I like to see the maverick too. There’re sold out for the year, same with diesels. I only wonder if people are going to continue to buy full sized trucks. I’m starting to see cash backs and 0 percent. I’m glad I’m not in the market currently. My son just bought a Buick SUV from a company that rebuilds wreaked vehicles from auctions. They have several large dealers and provide warranty. He paid half the going rate. A 2020 with 11K miles. It looks new. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I only wonder if people are going to continue to buy full sized trucks.

I am optimistic.  A full sized pickup has always been my preferred vehicle.  The space, height and versatility has kept one in my driveway since my near new '69 F100.   However fuel economy has always been a weakness.  I usually go for the model with the base engine to reduce operating costs but current fuel costs relegates my  pickup to an as needed basis.   I am hoping that the waitlists for the F150 Lightening and the Silverado EV are indications that the full-sized pickup will continue its current level of popularity!  I have a $100 holding a spot to buy a Silverado EV WT!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I am optimistic.  A full sized pickup has always been my preferred vehicle.  The space, height and versatility has kept one in my driveway since my near new '69 F100.   However fuel economy has always been a weakness.  I usually go for the model with the base engine to reduce operating costs but current fuel costs relegates my  pickup to an as needed basis.   I am hoping that the waitlists for the F150 Lightening and the Silverado EV are indications that the full-sized pickup will continue its current level of popularity!  I have a $100 holding a spot to buy a Silverado EV WT!

My trucks were for work. The wife’s car was for family hauling. Most were performance cars. When the kids got grown my wife generally drove sport cars we then generally traveled in my truck usually extended cabs. Now my truck is a personal vehicle my wife drives a sports sedan. Our trip vehicle is a CRV. Her car is too low for me the truck is too high for her and the fuel mileage sucks for trips. Our compromise is the CRV for trips. Once the craziness passes my truck and CRV could go by the way of the new little trucks. I haven’t driven any yet I like the idea of the maverick. I have to be comfortable inside. 

• Like 1

A friend moved into a seniors complex a few weeks ago.  She is now confined to her suite with Covid.  We dropped off a bag of comfort food yesterday and have been in regular phone contact.  She is being treated well.  I am impressed by how the general population has learned to deal with Covid.  One to two years ago we would have had very morbid thoughts for our friend and she would have been treated quite differently.  

• Like 1

I partially listen to the Levin podcast cast on iHeartRadio during my walks. Interesting information on mining for minerals involved with batteries. I must admit it’s background while walking with the usual slant same as when I listen to pbs. My ears perked  up when I heard that just mining one mineral one half of million gallons of fuel is used yearly in those mining haul trucks. Not to mention the environmental impact of the mining. Listen farther today a miner called in explaining the  environment destruction in exploration is far greater than drilling a hole in the ground. Once discovered it’s a ten year process getting it out. He farther explained there’s not enough product to come close to make the batteries for the perceived electric vehicle explosion. Forever skeptical I can’t imagine all these auto manufacturers would put so many marbles in that basket. Without longevity knowledge. The forcing at all costs this on us is my complaint. Let the market move us, not government. I’m getting increasingly skeptical that over all. This isn’t so green. Of course government agencies never lie to us.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I partially listen to the Levin podcast cast on iHeartRadio during my walks. Interesting information on mining for minerals involved with batteries. I must admit it’s background while walking with the usual slant same as when I listen to pbs. My ears perked  up when I heard that just mining one mineral one half of million gallons of fuel is used yearly in those mining haul trucks. Not to mention the environmental impact of the mining. Listen farther today a miner called in explaining the  environment destruction in exploration is far greater than drilling a hole in the ground. Once discovered it’s a ten year process getting it out. He farther explained there’s not enough product to come close to make the batteries for the perceived electric vehicle explosion. Forever skeptical I can’t imagine all these auto manufacturers would put so many marbles in that basket. Without longevity knowledge. The forcing at all costs this on us is my complaint. Let the market move us, not government. I’m getting increasingly skeptical that over all. This isn’t so green. Of course government agencies never lie to us.

"I partially listen to the Levin podcast"..... 

Stan,  respectfully change partially to not at all and listen to something or someone based on facts......    NPR/PBS at least based on journalism not ragejournalism or my favorite term outrage P-O-R-N ,........ like Levin.  

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/03/1031434711/your-next-car-may-be-built-with-ocean-rocks-scientists-cant-agree-if-thats-good

Once again in the US, to date THE federal government is not driving EV's but industry is.  Until we become authoritarian, which is possible with the US electorate diminished ability to discern truth from fiction,......... oil and gas, coal, auto industry will still be driven by one thing; profit motive and survival of same for shareholders all under our constitutionally protected incorporation laws.    Building vehicles without access to battery and mineral feedstocks would be short sighted and none of the big players are that. 

Visited Henry FORD museum yesterday and that showed that EV's or Fuel Cells are here not coming, mass production the fine tuning now.  Ford building out 4 giant factories in Tennessee NOW,  and 2 in Kentucky.   Under construction Fuel Cell center for Ford was right across the street from the museum. 

Edited by customboss

34 minutes ago, customboss said:

Stan,  respectfully change partially to not at all and listen to something or someone based on facts......    NPR/PBS at least based on journalism not ragejournalism or my favorite term outrage P-O-R-N ,........ like Levin.  

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/03/1031434711/your-next-car-may-be-built-with-ocean-rocks-scientists-cant-agree-if-thats-good

Once again in the US, to date THE federal government is not driving EV's but industry is.  Until we become authoritarian, which is possible with the US electorate diminished ability to discern truth from fiction,......... oil and gas, coal, auto industry will still be driven by one thing; profit motive and survival of same for shareholders all under our constitutionally protected incorporation laws.    Building vehicles without access to battery and mineral feedstocks would be short sighted and none of the big players are that. 

Visited Henry FORD museum yesterday and that showed that EV's or Fuel Cells are here not coming, mass production the fine tuning now.  Ford building out 4 giant factories in Tennessee NOW,  and 2 in Kentucky.   Under construction Fuel Cell center for Ford was right across the street from the museum. 

I remember GM getting bailed out, Chrysler getting a loan. Ford is in trouble as we speak. And there’re all pushing large gas guzzlers while manufacturers like Hyundai push fuel sippers. Most all polls show dislike for electric. Market driven, not so much. The radio program I listen to on Saturday. Car-pro. Sees more Tesla percentage wise with low mileage than any other at auction. Ain’t cutting it. Just about every Hyundai model has a performance option for thrill seekers with an eye towards fuel economy. I bought my first of four in 05 that my grandson drives today. I pay attention am well read. I retired well off at 58 with investments that shield me from inflation. My record is pretty good. I’ll stick with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I remember GM getting bailed out, Chrysler getting a loan. Ford is in trouble as we speak. And there’re all pushing large gas guzzlers while manufacturers like Hyundai push fuel sippers. Most all polls show dislike for electric. Market driven, not so much. The radio program I listen to on Saturday. Car-pro. Sees more Tesla percentage wise with low mileage than any other at auction. Ain’t cutting it. Just about every Hyundai model has a performance option for thrill seekers with an eye towards fuel economy. I bought my first of four in 05 that my grandson drives today. I pay attention am well read. I retired well off at 58 with investments that shield me from inflation. My record is pretty good. I’ll stick with it.

Jerry Reynolds is sharp and so is Kevin McCarthy and once again we shall be two differing peas in a pod......I do respect your commentary. 

58 minutes ago, customboss said:

To say that the federal government is not driving EV's but industry is, is more than somewhat disingenuous.  Is the EPA not part of the federal government?  EPA mpg regulations are forcing the auto manufacturers into manufacturing EV's to meet CAFE standards. And speaking of Ford and fine tuning, they can use all they can get, check out the recall on the Mustang E-Mach.

Edited by garagerog
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, garagerog said:

To say that the federal government is not driving EV's but industry is, is more than somewhat disingenuous.  Is the EPA not part of the federal government?  EPA mpg regulations are forcing the auto manufacturers into manufacturing EV's to meet CAFE standards. And speaking of Ford and fine tuning, they can use all they can get, check out the recall on the Mustang E-Mach.

You ascribe too much power to the Feds.  At Cummins for emissions we drove the boat because they did not know what they were doing. We met or exceeded emissions standards before anyone else and knew NOT to allow feds to control the regulating alone.  I also flew professionally at American Airlines and two other airlines over 30 years and look what happened with 737 MAX.  They allowed test pilots for Boeing to drive the systems regulating and Feds had not a clue until two third world jets crashed.  Most FED regulating since Clinton was President has been SELF by industry.  The argument industry in US is driven by Gov is a convenient one for the uninformed that think electing more libertarian thinkers will matter.  We are an oligopoly driven by industry with laws that are enforced and made by the inmates ( industry ).  Sure there are degrees of control but thats our corporatocracy.  Most of the belief you and Stan are sharing are excuses to get a minority elected. 

Before I dive to far down this rabbit hole, let me just clarify one point. CAFE and emissions are 2 separate EPA issues, the manufacturers have done a decent job except for some of the diesel issues with emissions, meeting FEDERAL GOVERNMENT EPA CAFE standards will be impossible without EV's.  Only industry driven motive I see is survival, comply or go out of business. I'm not gonna bite on getting into any political discussion.

• Like 3